Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone tell me what is the big deal about Intelligentsia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzA-Op1soo&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks. I think I'm going to get a CCD, which will be my first foray into real non-freeze-dried coffee. Coffee has always been a voodoo mystery to me but this thread has cleared things up enough for me to finally try out the real stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Aaaaand look what we have here

http://gizmodo.com/5879161/how-to-beat-a-k+cup-with-simple-coffee-gadgets

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It might, but just be aware that if you're gonna try to take the temperature through the window in the oven door, you'll be getting the temp of the glass on the outside of the oven door, not the beans behind it.

If you're using another roasting device and have line of sight with your beans then youre good.

I would say get it anyways because it's handy for so many other cooking applications

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So after stalking this thread I went out and visited Intelligentsia for the first time and had a shegole Ethiopian coffee. It was fun to see several Hario's running on their counter after seeing them in the op. The coffee was the first cup I'd ever enjoyed black, and it was pretty drat flavorful. Still a little bitter so I put in one packet of sugar to take off the edge and then it was perfect. Wow. My whole life I'd always been pouring in cream and sugar in an attempt to turn it into hot chocolate.

I've ordered a Hario and a CCD from Amazon, time to jump in.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

So, wow. Thanks to this thread I discovered that black coffee can actually be good, and that I can make great coffee at home for pretty cheap.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can I brew several cups in a pourover, and then stick it in the fridge for the rest of the week? Does it keep well?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, so in my newbie testing...

My hario coffee came out a little thinner and a little harsher than in the CCD. I have a blade grinder and I could see that there was a mix of coarse bits and fine powder. I'm guessing the CCD is a lot more forgiving of sloppy grinds. Yes/no?

At any rate, time to buy a burr grinder...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How does the hario manual grinder compare to the electrical burr grinders?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm. Is a manual burr grinder at least better than a blade grinder?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone have experience making espresso with an aeropress?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

dema posted:

Does the glass make a difference compared to the plastic harios?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/Presso-179-10000-Espresso-Machine/dp/B0000C9Z8D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332194347&sr=8-1

Hmm, anyone used this Presso manual espresso maker? I'm intrigued. CI seems to like it and says it makes legit cap unlike the Aeropress.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 19, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's better about it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So what are the necessary grinders for a legit espresso, and what makes them different from other burr grinders?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone tried Handsome Coffee in LA?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In my journey to learn more about coffee I got my first decently made espresso. It was surprising how complex it was, comparable to a scotch or wine, and it had the creaminess of a coffee with dairy in it. Really really intrigued.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

get ready to empty your bank account if you wanna make it at home...

Yeah. I think if I'm going to do it, I'm not going to half-rear end it, so I'll put it off until I can get the proper grinder and brewer for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PainBreak posted:

So... My wife made me aware of this commercial yesterday. What in the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpC39-yITdA
Imagine you're the CEO of Maxwell House, your company makes cheap, mass-market coffee. A renewed interest in hobbyist coffee has emerged in recent years. What else are you going to do in your commercials?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Most people appreciate the difference between microwave steak and grilled steak. I don't think most people have the same appreciation for coffee, sadly.

Commercials are there to cover up your product's shortcomings and alter people's perceptions in favor of your product. Got a low calorie beer but worried that it will be perceived as being sissy? Play a manly Irish pub song in your commercial!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9f45ryCU0

People are drinking at coffee houses, but your company makes grocery store coffee. Hmm, how can you make going to a coffee house look like too much work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Nbx7Gs3xU

Don't act surprised, is what I'm saying.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 11, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Think about the political ad strategy where you play up your weaknesses as if they're strengths, and frame your opponent's strengths as if they're weaknesses.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interesting episode of Invention Hunters today... a guy had a handheld manual espresso machine. Nothing new about that although they made it sound like it was never done before. What was interesting however, was that it claims to use variable pressure and that it reduced acidity drastically. They took it to coffee shops and customers said it was very good, shots looked like they had crema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrn0tXHEpcA

Any thoughts?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 29, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok, just figured I'd ask the experts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

This badboy is the poo poo:

Did they have a monopoly in the early 80's? Because I have literally never seen any other brand of popper from that era.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well I wouldn't even use Pyrex on a gas range, but what about borosilicate glass? I use a borosilicate teapot all the time on my gas range, is that still a no-no on an electric-coil range?

edit: what if you use a diffuser plate, that should make it okay, right?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it this model?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yattay/6247097181/

Cause it looks like people use it on electric coil stoves all the time...?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, if youre seeing horror stories it might just be better/safer to go with metal.

I just bought that Cuisinart kettle a few days ago. I like it, but in hindsight I think I would've liked finer temp control. I think the Chef's Choice Smart Kettle allows you to pick your temp.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If its amazon can't you cancel before it ships tmrw?

The Cuisinart does 160, 175, 185, 190, 200 and boil. I'd like to have the option to go up or down 5 degrees to experiment on what gets better results from teas.

Of course, you can always just wait half a minute for it to cool down a few degrees, no big whoop

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 11, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bonavita variable-temp kettles are $78? Were they always this price or did they just drop recently?

http://gizmodo.com/5938541/this-kettle-heats-water-to-the-exact-temperature-you-want

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine lives in New Orleans and is trying black coffee and going blech.

I want to point him towards some good locally roasted beans...?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it's grocery store coffee beans, doesn't that mean it's been sitting there for weeks and weeks?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Starbucks, they're touting some new $200 espresso machine called the Verismo and giving away free lattes today, if anyone wants to test them out.

http://www.brandeating.com/2012/10/news-starbucks-free-verismo-lattes-on.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 15, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, with the trendiness of coffee nerds these days Starbucks introduced their lighter roasts. Has anyone tried these?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Good places to buy coffee, beans in the SF Bay Area?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Martello posted:

Has anyone used the new Bodum Bistro b.over? It looks pretty cool, although I'm not sure it's better than the Technivorm Moccamaster which I already own. I'm not really looking to buy it I'm just curious.

Am I imagining things or did a chimp wink at me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stugene posted:

Any chance of an updated OP with some Espresso machines in different price ranges?

I'm looking to spend between £100-£200 on a machine, but its difficult to find decently priced equipment in the UK. Anyone got any advice?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post409741173

Saeco aroma, also was recommended by Alton Brown on his show

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 24, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Perhaps, but if you click the link you'll see it was also recommended by our resident coffee perfectionist Gravity as a low budget machine.

BTW I saw a used Saeco machine with a built in grinder. Are those any good or should I assume the grinder is subpar

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 25, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would like to make that ice cream. What do you mean by a doubleshot?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So I'm trying out cold brewing. All the recipes I find say to put 4:1 ratio of water to coffee, and then when that's done, to add water until the coffee has twice as much volume. Why go through that extra step instead of just mixing the grounds with twice as much water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's wrong with just using a mason jar, a funnel and a coffee filter?