Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It seems all electric burr grinders are fairly large with hoppers and capable of grinding enough coffee for multiple cups. Counter space is at a premium in my tiny apartment and I wanted to replace my tiny blade grinder I keep in the cupboard with something equally small I could put away when not in use. I guess my only option is something like one of those hand powered Hario grinders? Why don't they make small electric burr grinders like they do with blade grinders? I use a french press if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do bleached filters have less paper taste than non-bleached? I got a CCD recently and the paper taste is pretty noticeable, even after rinsing. I'm thinking it might be the kind of filter I'm using.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah I just went out and got some white ones. Tastes better and they were cheaper! Now to think of something to do with those 76 useless brown filters...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Cage posted:

So using a paper filter isnt recommended with tea? Sorry for all the dumb questions I guess I should try do some tea research on my own.

There's a very similar device to the CCD for tea which has a built in filter. It looks like this. Disclaimer: I know nothing about tea.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

becoming posted:

The other consideration is heat loss. If you're brewing two tasse cups of coffee, everything else being equal, coffee will be hotter/closer to optimal brewing temperature in a two-cup press than it will be in a twelve-cup press. This can be mitigated somewhat by getting a well-insulated press pot, but you will still lose heat to the extra air in the pot.

Couldn't you mitigate this by pressing the plunger down to just above the water level while brewing? I've never thought to try that, not sure if it makes much difference either way.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm glad to see another moka pot getting some love here. I use mine all the time.

I just got a cheap one recently and I quite like it. Any tips on using it?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

luvs2Bgraded posted:

The mini mill isn't bad as long as you don't get a defective one where the top of the shaft where the handle connects gets stripped after a few months of use.

This happened to mine, I was wondering why it wasn't mentioned in reviews I read. I guess it doesn't happen to all of them?

Edit: It hasn't stripped completely, it still works but it's dug a groove into the metal of the bolt and the handle gets stuck on.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 14, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
What's the best way to clean the clever coffee dripper? Hot water doesn't seem to be enough but the manual had dire warnings about not using dish soap.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

dik-dik posted:

If it's getting a white cloudy look, that's the plastic itself that has been damaged by using too-hot water. If it's coffee or mineral build up then I imagine using a dilute acid solution similar to what you'd use to clean a drip machine will work.

Thanks I'll give this a shot.

Clark Nova posted:

I've always just washed mine by hand, with dish soap, after every use. I had no idea that was recommended against. Is it supposed to build up a patina of coffee oil like a moka pot or something? In any case, coffee will quickly stain the plug at the bottom a nice shade of butthole brown no matter how thoroughly you clean it, so there's no use worrying about that.

I kinda suspected that dishsoap would probably be fine. I have no delusions of de-browning the plug, I figure that's a lost cause :v:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Things I don't understand about your post:
pressure builds
crema
wooshes out

The way a moka pot works, as water boils in the lower chamber the water vapor causes pressure to build. When the pressure is great enough it forces the water up the siphon, through the coffee (where it extracts the coffee) and out into the upper chamber (where the brewed coffee collects). Water being forced through the coffee at high pressure produces "crema" which is a foam on top of the coffee which tastes really good and is the hallmark of good espresso. You won't get espresso-quality crema with a moka pot because they can't produce the pressures of an espresso machine, but you can get something similar.

That particular model (the Brikka) uses a weighted valve on the siphon to hold the water in the bottom chamber until the pressure is even higher, at which point it passes up through the coffee like in a regular moka pot. Since the pressure is higher the "crema" is better. This all makes a "wooshing" noise which tells you it's done.

My advice is to make sure you get the right size model. Moka pots don't work very well when you put in less coffee than they're built for - don't assume you can get the large model and use less coffee in it, it won't work as well.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Keurig is worth way more than star wars.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I got the Hario Slim grinder as recommend in the OP about a week ago and I'm happy with it.

I have one of these. After about a year the crank sheared off the bolt where it mates with the shaft, which made it impossible to grind coffee. I've temporarily "fixed" this by placing a rubber washer over the shaft before attaching the crank so the crank meets the bolt further up (where it hasn't been sheared) but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it wears off again.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, if I were to get a pharos I would absolutely need this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXqeMWGw0U.

The main appeal is that you get giant 68mm burrs which are otherwise impossible to find in a sub-$1.5K grinder.

That looks so much better you wonder why the manufacture didn't just make it that way.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

nosleep posted:

Anyone with a Bonavita kettle have rust issues? I have the variable temp and I never really paid too much attention because where I have everything set up is pretty dark, but noticed when rust started developing pretty badly on the rim of the lid. I ordered a replacement lid, but checking the inside of the kettle there appears to be a fair amount of rust around the bottom and some spots on the opening and inner walls. I'd love to find a way to remove it and not have to get a brand new one since I just ordered a replacement lid. I've been googling but haven't found any great recommendations so far. I basically always leave water in it since I use it every day, which you'd think would be ok for a kettle to handle, but if I get this cleared up maybe I"ll have to rethink letting water sit in it constantly.

edit: I've used apple cider vinegar on tools before and I've read some recommendations for distilled white vinegar as well as descaling products. Vinegar flavored coffee would be awful but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get the odor out if I used that.

You could try barkeeper's friend.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
My new office has a Mr Coffee drip machine and this fancy-looking automatic machine that makes what seems like fake espresso. Even though the machine does actually grind beans before making the coffee I hate the way the resulting coffee tastes. I'll take the bitter-rear end Mr coffee poo poo over it every time. At least it tastes like coffee.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I'll check out the model on Monday. I think the poor quality is probably due to the machine, but it could well be the lack of maintenance and/or lovely beans

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I'm curious, do you know what kind it is? We carry just about every automatic worth having and I want to know if one of ours sucks.

Also drip is very easy to do "good enough" (for given values of good), whereas the gulf on that for espresso seems to be a bit larger.

It's an Impressa Xj9. Anyone heard of it?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah I'm guessing it's probably rarely if ever been cleaned and the beans probably aren't the best either. It's a pretty big office so it probably gets dirty quickly.

It might also be me, if espresso isn't really good I'd rather just have a filter. There's a couple of good places right next to the office, I might start going out for coffee more. A good excuse to go outside now and then anyway.

bizwank posted:

Ha, a Jura. Yeah they're pretty miserable compared to most other super-autos; Swiss-engineered and manufactured instead of Italian, and the only way to get them serviced is to ship them off to the manufacturer. They're pumped out by a OEM equipment company and sold under a couple different brands; Jura and Bosch are the ones I've run into in the US. Dialing it in might get you a slightly better shot; basically set to max dosing and keep turning the grinder finer until the coffee is just dripping, then turn it back a notch or two.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can make it acceptable.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

porktree posted:

Thoughts? - Only $399US. I'm surely intrigued and my try convincing a coworker to buy this so I can watch it work.

People were making fun of this earlier in the thread when it was still a Kickstarter.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Just bought an Encore. The instructions say to run a cup of beans through before using it. Do I actually have to waste that much coffee?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I don't mind wasting some, it just seems excessive

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Who gives a gently caress just drink it. It probably won't kill you.

Yeah I ended up just putting half as much through. Still alive!

Does anyone else have both an Encore and a Clever? What grind setting do you use? I've been using 20

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I didn't mind using my Hario Slim. What I did mine is when the shaft sheared off where it mates with the crank, rendering the grinder nearly useless. I don't know if the skerton suffers from the same flaw.

Big Bidness posted:

I use that set up a bunch. I use 20 for almost everything, and I don't bloom because I stir the hell out of it. That little bit of coarseness on the grind plus the turbulence seems to work out well.

Cool, yeah I do the same thing with the stirring. What time / ratio do you use? I've been doing 4 min and 16:1, although the coffee tastes a little "thin" so I might play around with that.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

angor posted:

Are the Hario grinders that bad? I currently have no coffee stuff at home and am pretty close to a Hario grinder + Aeropress setup.

I've posted before, but my slim broke after a year of use. I don't know if the skerton suffers the same design flaw.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Can someone recommend me a kettle? I'm looking for temp control and quick heating time. Gooseneck is not a requirement, although I'm not against it either. I've heard the Bonavita gooseneck is good but the reviews seem to indicate that it takes a while to come to temp, is that true?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

foxxtrot posted:

I get the complaint about him not rinsing the filter, but the only difference between a brown filter and a white one is bleach.

Last time I tried brown filters the coffee tasted like a paper bag no matter how much I rinsed them. The difference is enormous.

You know the bleaching process actually breaks up/removes stuff right? That's why it turns white.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 10, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

rockcity posted:

Given all the other variables being the same, sure. But different styles of heating elements likely heat differently and kettle shape can also play a factor with how the hot water circulates internally as it heats.

The reviews I read blamed the thermostat mechanism, saying that it began switching on/off too early so that the temp approached the setpoint rather slowly. But I haven't used one so I don't know what it's like, that's why I'm interested in getting some people's opinions here.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

bizwank posted:

Just tested mine; to the "full" line (1 litre) it took 5:15 to go from cold tap water to 205F, and 500ml took 3 min on the nose. Once the water temp gets within 10 degrees of what you have it set at, the heating element will start to cycle on and off to slow the rate of heating so it lands exactly on the desired temp. This does slow the overall heating process down, and most people (aka. amazon reviewers) are probably used to the more standard electric kettles which just go full-bore to boiling then back off.

Excellent, thanks for the info (rockcity too). I can probably deal with that fine, I usually only put about 350 ml in anyway. Although I wonder if one of the larger ones (they make a 1.5L with no gooseneck) would go faster.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

What's the goon recommended drip machine if you're not willing to break the bank? I need something that is convenient. Add ground coffee, pour water, press button.

I do have an electric kettle, a Capresso Infinity, so maybe a pour over system would be easy enough, but I don't want to have to buy filters and futz with that. Are there reusable filters you can use for pour over?

Have you looked into the clever coffee dripper? You put in the filter and coffee and pour the water and wait 4 min then put it on your cup, it's pretty convenient and makes a good cup of coffee while being fairly foolproof. I use mine all the time. It's also very cheap.

Reusable are more of a hassle with having to clean than disposable I find (I'm basing this on my experience with a french press vs the clever, which are very similar in process otherwise), although I think you can get reusable filters for the clever (it uses standard filters).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DY6FO8...SFBB27140&psc=1

What's the deal with something like this? I want to avoid fussing with rinsing and buying paper filters if possible.

You seem really concerned about the hassle of paper filters, but they're the least hassle of the whole process. You're going to spend more times rinsing that thing clean than rinsing paper filters (which can be done in a few seconds). How many coffees do you drink per day? Buying filters is a "a few times a year" deal for me.

You can get it if you want, but the decision should be based around whether you'd prefer the type of coffee it makes (which will be different from paper) not based on convenience because it won't be more convenient.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

Is there a big difference in taste between paper and metal filters? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only ever used paper filters with the coffee maker at work. I've always used reusable ones at home.

Now that I think about it, I think reusable is better for the environment too, though I can't say that really crossed my mind until just now.

The metal ones let more oil through which changes the taste. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Manual grinding for a single cup is doable but for those volumes it's going to be tedious as gently caress. If you're making that much coffee I think an electric will be necessary.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Not saying this will fix it, but are you rinsing the filters?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

My wife and I want to get a French press (well she wants a drip brewer and I want a French press) to make coffee in a slightly more efficient way than taking 10 minutes with the single CCD we have. We don't drink a ton, but it looks like all the best reviewed ones or ones in the OP are 8 cups. This may be dumb, but could we just use one of those to make a half batch? It'd be nice to have the larger one for when people were over. We're coffee rookies for sure, so any help is appreciated!

You don't have to fill a press, it should be fine. I like to push the plunger down to just above the water level while it's brewing in the hopes of preserving some heat, not sure if it makes much difference (probably not).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I use a bamboo turner (any non metal utensil that doesn't risk cracking the carafe will do) to loosen the grounds and get them out of the carafe, and then wash the remaining little bit down the drain.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah 20 on my Encore isn't anything at all like that. Something's wrong.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I've posted about it before, but my Hario Mini broke after about a year of use. Until then I didn't find it that inconvenient to grind for one cup.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
My girlfriend's grinder does that even after I gave it a good cleaning. My stopgap solution now is to grind once at the coarsest setting, then grind again at the setting I want.

The other thing that worked was to turn it on and pour the beans in slowly, but I've found grinding twice is faster and less of a hassle.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is it worth it to get a french press if I'm only on a pour over atm? Or do they pretty much do the same thing + oils which I dunno if I will or will not like.

I guess the only way to know if you'll like it is to try it. You could see if a local cafe will do FP to see if you like the taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Is the rust impossible to clean or something? Have you tried using Barkeeper's Friend or the like on it?