Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Rollofthedice posted:

That's got to be it, I need to stir afterwards! How silly of me.

I haven't bothered with the inverted method, primarily due to laziness. I guess I'll try it out.

I've played around with both inverted and standard orientation and now I almost exclusively use the standard orientation. Its easier and does a good job.

If you want to improve what is coming out of your aeropress I'd pick some of the recipes and try some variations and figure out what works best for you. I'm now doing about 17 grams of coffee, ~250 grams of water, with the standard orientation and about 1 minute 30 - 40 seconds of brew time. Grind is fairly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

rockcity posted:

so I decided to snag it. I'm excited to be able to roast in real quantity now.

I look forward to getting coffee from you.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Q8ee posted:

Only annoyance with the Aeropress is the drat thing empties halfway by the time I finish stirring it, so I gotta top it up and then stick the lid on to prevent it going down until I'm ready.

You might try using a finer grind.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

nwiniwn posted:

For your aeropress uses, do you guys add water after brewing? 16g coffee and 175ml water makes such a small cup that I usually add another 50g hot water. It's slightly less strong, but still good.

I don't, but I use a lot more water when pushing through the Aeropress.

When I started using the Aeropress a few years ago I went to the World Aeropress Championship site and browsed through some of the recipes. I tried a couple out and ended up settling on a non-inverted one.

My morning starts off with me doing the following.

1. Heat water 185 F.
2. Finely grind 17 grams of beans (I have a Capresso Infinity and have it pointed towards one of the smaller settings in the fine region)
3. Wash the paper filter, fill Aeropress with hot water and let it drip into the mug I'll be pressing into.
4. Dump grinds into non-inverted Aeropress.
5. Add about 40 grams of water, start time and give it some gentle stirs.
6. At 25 seconds, slowly pour in more water till the total water is about 270 grams.
7. Generally, around 50ish seconds, put in the plunger and slowly start pressing down.
8. Finish pushing around 1:30 - 1:40. Don't push all liquid through, I'm stopping right before you'd start hearing air.

The grind I use is fine enough that with that much coffee in the Aeropress there is minimal water flowing through prior to the plunger being inserted. Out of the current recipes this most closely matches Nick Hatch's.

I prefer non-inverted because I find it less error prone. It isn't that inverted is hard but I didn't think it made the result any better and occasionally I'd screw up the flip. Inverted is is what I use if I'm making a half cup (when I'm nearing the end of my bean supply) as with fewer grinds the water flows through too quickly.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

What's the dead-simplest way I can make awesome coffee at my work desk? Ideally not loud or messy. The coffee makers in the break room always taste gross and weak and mildewy.

If I was back in an office with lovely coffee but had a source for hot water, I'd bring an aeropress and a hand grinder.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I ordered a capresso infinity (plastic one) and it really feels cheap to me, like I'm going to break this thing in a few days.

I think you are too worried. I've used mine at least once nearly every day since sometime in December 2015 and have had zero problems.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Keret posted:

As for the brewer, I'm considering the Aeropress but honestly I don't like the design very much.

Get an aeropress. It travels great.

Using an aeropress for my small daily intake of coffee has ruined other methods of making coffee at home. It is dead simple and makes a great cup.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

I've used this scale almost daily since mid-2015. It can be powered with either an AC adapter or batteries. I'm glad I never run I to a situation where I have to find new batteries when I want to make coffee.

It can handle way more weight than I need to for coffee making. Turns out this is useful for other kitchen related weighing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3CAB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5.ScEb3VR5R8F

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

We're in Chicago, and while I usually love Dark Matter it doesn't look like any of their currently offered varieties are Ecuadorian. Definitely open to recommendations!

You should check out Metric. Some if the best coffee inChicago. I scanned through their beans and Ecuador didn't jump out but I didn't click down I to all of them and the main page doesn't show all the info.

Gaslight and Passion House both have some other South American beans right now.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Harrow posted:

Anyone here use an Aeropress and have recommendations about whether it's the kind of thing I'm looking for?

It is exactly what you are looking for. You just need a way to heat water and you'll be able to make a delicious cup of coffee. It also travels well.

I've been using an aeropress for my daily coffee for 6-7 years. It is pretty foolproof and, ignoring heating water and grinding coffee, takes me under 2 minutes a cup. I feel comfortable starting the process of heating water, grinding, and brewing if I have 5 minutes free.

I usually knock out two cups first thing in the morning for me and my partner.

I also have a clever coffee dripper and very rarely use it. I tried dialing in using it and never got to a point of making a cup as consistently good as the aeropress. The clever is probably even easier to use but it just doesn't do it for me.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I made my first Aeropress coffee today! It was delicious and cleaning was really as simple as pushing the puck out. Very positive experience!

I think I'm stirring wrong though. All recipes I saw require a degree of stirring. When I do, coffee/water begins to just run through the filter much more quickly. That must mean I'm disturbing the grounds too much, right? Should I just stir the upper water layer, or as deep down as the stirrer reaches?

Congrats!

I grind my coffee fine enough that minimal water flows through between the time I add it and the time I put the plunger in. Once the plunger is in it will stop dripping until you push.

I don't bother with inverted as it adds a step which can and has ended in disaster when my tired brain screws up.

What I end up doing

1. Fine grind of 17g beans
2. Heat water to 190 F.
3. Put coffee in normal direction aeropress.
4. Add 40 grams of water, start timer, stir
5. At 25 seconds, add water till you hit 270 grams. Put plunger in.
6. At some point, start plunging and try to finish around 1m40s. Adjust total time based off taste for future cups.

The above works well for me. I've also experimented with methods that used a out double the coffee and those were pretty tasty as well.

I ended up doing it this way by looking at what folks did at the aeropress competitions, trying some of them, and tweaking. I also favored not doing inverted as I've messed that up and didn't think it bought me anything.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So I've just purchased some coffee from a roaster that I've found who's just around the corner from myself. Ones been roasted this morning and the other was 2 days ago, is there a period in which you should leave it before grinding or do I just go straight in? it was a question I wanted to ask him but I was in a bit of a rush, also what's the rough time that it starts to turn?

For most coffee I've roasted, I've found that 4ish days post roast is when they really start showing the flavor.

I've found it interesting to pay attention to how the flavor changes over time. Assuming you have enough beans and don't mind some cups not being as delicious as others, I'd jump straight into either roast and start noting how the taste changes over time.

The two day old roast probably will have more developed flavors than this this morning roast. If they are the same bean and you plan on making multiple cups today, I'd even suggest making one with each roast so you can compare the flavors.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

If you're ever near a Mojo Coffee (which I think means either in Chicago or New Zealand) I'd highly recommend trying some coffee from their steampunk brewer. It is really tasty. I used to work across the street from a location and miss being able to hop over there to grab a cup. It is a neat device.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Bruxism posted:

I even took another look at the Fellow Ode Grinder, but all the reviews complaining about coffee grounds spraying everywhere and technical issues with the auto-stop feature put me off. I think they need to go back to the drawing board on this one, fundamental features seem badly designed.

I'm unsure if the updates have happened yet but there has been discussion online about Fellow updating the Ode in Spring/Summer 2021 with different burrs and a redesigned catch lid.

I've been kind of waiting for this to happen before upgrading my grinder.

I'm sort of in the same spot as you. I've been using the same entry level burr grinder for years and am looking for a worthwhile upgrade. I only make filter coffee (usually an aeropress or clever coffee dripper) and don't plan on diving into espresso. Quieter would be nice. Before all the reviews about the Ode barely going fine enough I was definitely planning on picking up one of them.

Since I don't really have a strong need to upgrade right now, I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Really looking forward to hearing about what you end up with.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Bruxism posted:

I ended up preordering a Niche Zero when it went on sale last night. I believe some are still available is anyone is interested, though the U.S. variant is already sold out.

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero?variant=39387927740547

Seems like a solid choice.

This made me relook up what is going on with Ode. Looks like maybe a new burr set coming out this fall according to this YouTube video

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

The Postman posted:

I just picked the larger one and use 300ml water typically. I've scaled up a few times into the 450ml range but I wouldn't go much higher.

I also have the larger one but manage to push it to 500ml. This fills nearly the entire dripper but let's me maximize the size of the two cups I'm making.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I would like to purchase another carafe other than the standard Kalita 500ml one. I used to use a Yama Glass one that was a bit prettier so I might get one again, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a real play at the beaker-style glass game for coffee nerds unless I missed something. I think most other things were like, Chemex clones or V60 all-in-ones or the like.

I use the Fellow Stagg glass carafe and enjoy it a lot. You do need to pour slowly from it but the double wall paired with the top holds in heat well for those situations where you aren't pouring all the coffee at once.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Red Crown posted:

I gotta transport problem.

I make my own coffee at home, I put it in a metal thermos, I drink it at work. I can definitely taste the metallic tinge on it. I have a glass sealed container, but I'd prefer not to have to re-heat it once I get in. Is there any magic, heat-trapping non-metallic coffee conveyance out there for me, or am I doomed to the horrible choice of slightly worse taste vs. slightly more effort?

Fellow has the Carter mug series. It has a ceramic lining that doesn't leave behind a flavor.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

Love my Stagg too. The button is a bit finicky though. After a while it started taking multiple presses to turn on or off. Seems like it's a pretty common problem, even in replacement units.

My initial one had this problem. Fellow sent me a replacement base. It also had the same problem. Then they sent me a whole new unit and it has been working well for quite some time.

I am having a little issue with (this is just a guess) the temperature sensor. Descaling the kettle seemed to help a little but it still seems to be acting up occasionally. I need to pay more attention again and bring it up with them if there actually is a problem.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

I have the Fellow thermos with the different interior and like them. I hadn't noticed a taste issue with the yeti mug I used until someone pointed it out to me one day and then I couldn't stop tasting it.

I don't notice that with the Fellow thermos.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

eke out posted:

they make a lot of Claims about "ready to drink" that i am also very curious about. it seems to be centered around the idea that air roasters fundamentally age differently, but i am unaware of any data that supports this (though with coffee science, there's no data about like, practically anything)

I air roast with a fresh roast and definitely notice an improvement of flavor over the first 5 or so days post roast. Maybe it is something they do with the roast profile.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Looks like Fellow is coming out with a new grinder that does espresso called the Opus.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a42409254/fellow-opus-grinder/

40 mm conical burrs, anti-static technology, $195.

I have the Ode 2 and really love the anti-static feature. Really nice that they are keeping that in the Opus. I didn't realize the Ode 2 had that until after I ordered mine and it is one of the things that really makes me pleased I waited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

I think I can probably rationalize replacing my nine year old Capresso Infinity but I'm not sure the Encore is enough of an upgrade to justify it. At least, it seems like I'd be getting slightly better uniformity but that's about it. If I'm going to upgrade I'd like it to be to something that will also make my workflow more pleasant, which is to say less messy / less retention. I'd like something that's less plasticky and that looks a little prettier (which will also help sell my partner on a grinder upgrade).

I moved from an old Capresso Infinity to the Fellow Ode 2 and it is so much less messy than the Infinity. I honestly don't think I've gotten any coffee grounds on my counter using it. The anti-static feature seems to really help with grounds escaping.

I expected it to be much better at grinding beans but did not anticipate how much cleaner my counters are. Retention is also so low it seems to be effectively zero.