Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Just finished my Encore M2 burr upgrade. All in all, not too hard! I would say, if you try to take the burr off by itself without disassembling the machine, as you can allegedly do on some machines, and it doesn't budge after a couple of tries, just forget it and do the full breakdown. That bastard is on tight. I also felt like I was going to break the housing when I was using a flathead screwdriver to pry it off, but it just takes some finesse.

The grind difference between the original burr and the M2 is pretty striking, I wish I had taken some comparison pictures. The same setting for my Aeropress was much more inconsistent in grind sizes, with the new burr it's like find sand. Very impressive, and worth the 30 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Sir Lemming posted:

Finally got a Baratza Encore yesterday and wow. I had really tempered my expectations that it would actually make my coffee taste noticeably better vs. my Hario Slim hand grinder. (I had other reasons for wanting it, not just taste.) But it actually really is noticeable. So much smoother. Bad day for democracy, good day for coffee.

It really is crazy how much of a difference it makes, I was super skeptical as well. Love my Encore, and there's an even bigger step up when you replace the stock burr with an M2.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Used my new Clever dripper today, I like it better than the Aeropress, which I was kind of doing an immersion-style with anyway. Super smooth cup, simple to use, no danger of over extraction, I used the Hoffman tip of adding the water first. I am a fan!

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 31, 2021

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

cptn_dr posted:

I bought a clever dripper the other day, and have been using the Hoffman recipe, and the results have all just been... OK. I'll keep tinkering, but I must be doing something wrong, because the coffee is coming out pretty weak and bland. I know it's not the beans' fault because they're perfectly good done with an Aeropress and a V60.

FWIW, I use the same grind as I did with the Aeropress (14 on an Encore), and a 4 minute brew time. Turns out great every time, I love the consistency.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Gunder posted:

I think that's going to be the subject of the next episode.

The Aeropress guy invented the Aerobie?! That's rad.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
If you had told me pre-covid that I would have watched a 30 minute video from start to finish about the nuances and various testing methods of brewing coffee from a silly looking plastic device I would have found that rather unbelievable, but here we are. (I still prefer my clever dripper).

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

dedian posted:

Do you prefer clever for taste or process (I'd greatly prefer clever for process, it's so easy)? Clever and aeropress are pretty much the same brewing method otherwise.

Taste and consistency so far. It makes a great cup every time, I had more variable results with the Aeropress. And yeah super simple to use.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Futaba Anzu posted:

i figured the coffee thread's close to the best place to ask this one off question since it seems tangentially related to the ember mug lol,

i've really been enjoying using this cup brand called Asvel that makes this CafeMug thing that is basically a thermos in cup form.

it doesn't really keep hot stuff too hot for long but it keeps cold things cold ridiculously well and i especially liked using it as a general ice water cup for a while now, but i've been noticing the paint on the outside has been chipping which is real gross, and i was wondering if there was a more reputable version of this idea that doesn't deteriorate nearly this fast. I guess boiled down, I'm just wondering if there's some cup that can keep things temperature regulated like a thermos can better than just getting a regular thick mug, does anyone have anything of the sort?

Like just a vacuum insulated stainless steel mug? There are a few competing brands out there, but I'm quite happy with my Yeti Rambler (in Seafoam Green) as my daily mug at work, it keeps coffee hot for a long-rear end time with the lid on, and the valve thingy is magnetic so you can take it completely apart to clean it. It is too wide for my Clever Dripper however, so keep that in mind. Also it's stupid expensive, like most things Yeti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Lord Stimperor posted:

So, blooming isn't a thing in a Clever Dripper, right?

I'm asking because I've recently started not pouring everything in one go but wetting the grounds first. If I carefully soak the grounds before slowly pouring the rest, I get a much nicer flat=looking coffee bed. I have the impression that I like the cups better. But that must be my imagination, right? Blooming and a flat coffee bed for optimal extraction can't be a thing in immersion brewers can they?

In Hoffman's Clever Dripper video, he actually recommends adding the water first, then the grounds on top to reduce draw-down time. I've done it both ways and it definitely makes a difference.