Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My Keurig machine decided it was no longer going to suck water through it's probably disgusting pipes so I used this as an excuse to stop brewing mediocre crap and start getting into pour over. I picked up a cheapo Chemex knockoff at Target (http://www.target.com/p/bodum-pour-over-coffee-maker/-/A-15847595#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=coffee+pour+over) that has it's own built it mesh filter and although I have no idea how lovely this thing is it is worlds above my Keurig and the cleanup is incredibly easy. I ground up some Blue Bottle beans that were roasted four days before purchase yesterday and it was like drinking the lord's brew (god I love Blue Bottle).

Two questions:

1. I just picked up an electric kettle that has a digital temperature dial in because I'm sick of putting water on a stove and guessing when it's hot enough. Is there a recommended temperature for pour over?

2. I also picked up a cheapo grinder (like $15) that is doing the job but I know I could do better. I'm looking at a Baratza grinder and I'm trying to decide between a Maestro and an Encore refurb, as recommended. Can anyone explain the differences between the two to me? Is the Encore worth the $18-20 more?

3. Should I ditch the BODUM knockoff and get a real Chemex with paper filters? Am I actually missing anything by using the mesh reusable filter? I hate throwing paper away.

Thanks thread, I am glad to be drinking not lovely coffee and as soon as I can get this Keurig and all of the pods out of my apartment I am looking forward to having my counter space back as well!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

It is removable. I'll definitely check out how I can play around with paper filters. Is there a go to brand?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I brewed some grounds at 212 last week and let me tell you that whole pot was total garbage :v: Learning how much temperature matters.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Man, my electric kettle I bought is super poo poo. Last time I brewed I set it to 212 and that burned the hell out of my grounds, so tonight I set it at 190 and that...still burned the hell out of my grounds. I don't think those are accurate readings at all.

I guess this is what I get for buying a $20 Oyster kettle. Time to start looking for better solutions.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Since I'm having electric kettle problems for my pourover, can anyone speak a little bit about what they do to make a stovetop model work? I'm seeing the Fino pourover is really highly rated, but I'm curious what people do to get the temperature dialed in to their liking.

I'm also looking at gooseneck digital Bonvita which I'm sure has been discussed in the last page but I'd rather spend 80 dollars on a better grinder right now. I was having success just boiling water on my stove and guessing but now this electric kettle burned coffee disaster has me gunshy. Help me, coffee thread~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Loving my hario and I'm getting better at my pour over technique with it. Went ahead and snagged an Baratza Encore off Amazon thanks to some giftcards and cashback. Excited to actually get my grinds right.

I'm assuming the Baratza is pretty easy to figure out how to do my "medium coarse" I want for my pourover?

Anyone have any recommendations for Bay Area California beans that aren't Blue Bottle? I really love Blue Bottle. I'm in the East Bay for reference, my Whole Foods has a lot of SF and Oakland coffees but I'd love to branch out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Right now I like Andytown a lot. They are also just a mile from my house so I can get really fresh roasted coffee but I've also seen them for sale in some other stores like Bi-Rite. Four Barrel and Ritual are the other big names but I think they roast too lightly and they also cost too much. Most of their coffees are $18/12oz. I know Sightglass is popular but I had a bad experience at their cafe so I don't support them, smug pricks.

There's really nothing wrong with Blue Bottle IMO. Despite them growing so much their quality is still consistently good. If you want another Oakland native you can check out Mr. Espresso. They've been around since the 70s and the coffee is still good.

Sightglass is what I'm drinking right now. It's ok. It's no Blue Bottle. :v:

They were out of Blue Bottle at Whole Foods. :(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I think they have Ritual's at the Whole Foods I keep mentioning because that's the only place I know that sells not garbage coffee. Apparently I need to figure out what a Bi-Rite is. I promise I'm not some sort of shill for Whole Foods :v:

I'm just remembering that Barefoot Coffee in San Jose has really good stuff so I'll probably snag some beans from them when I'm down there.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hey Coffee Thread, has anyone done this? Trip report?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2J_Ay8fCQ

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Is there a go-to moka brand or are the basically all the same? You guys have piqued my interest with all the home espresso talk but I have no space or money for an actual espresso machine so I'm looking at the in between traditional italian home method now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Trying to clean my chemex ripoff for basically the first time cause I'm making coffee at home for the first time in a looong while and holy poo poo this thing is hard to clean. Time to get a Hario I guess.