Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ooh nice, I like the idea of having a sampler pack as well, so I don't buy 5+lbs of beans I may not like. Thank you!

I recently got my first order from Sweet Maria's, the 8lbs sampler. The price, with shipping, is much less than what I would pay for good roasted coffee locally. I was really happy with the varieties, they are noticeably different from each other. The tasting notes/descriptions are spot on, as well. I will definitely order from them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dik-dik posted:

What even is that? Some sort of vac pot?

http://royalcoffeemaker.com/newstore/how-it-works

No spinning balls :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with the Hawaii Kona Kowali Farm Typica 2014 from Sweet Maria's? I'm curious about it and put it in my cart last night, but after sleeping on it, I'm wondering it is worth the price premium.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

porktree posted:

If Tom's selling it you know it's good - that also seems to be about the going rate for real Kona - I usually buy Kona from Smithfarms; they're about $19/lb plus $7 shipped. I like Sweetmarias but I also feel better about buying direct from the farm.

I'll check out Smith farms. I'm pretty new to roasting (just about 16 lbs so far) and I've only used Sweet Maria's. I'm definitely into trying some other suppliers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Where should I store my green coffee? Fridge, freezer, a dark cool spot?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Dark cool spot for a few months

Thanks. There is no way it will last a few months, of course. :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Well that is the opposite of my intuition. Right now I have a bunch of 1 and 2 lb zip-lock bags from SM. Do I want to poke holes in the bags to let them breathe?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is Sweet Maria's site broken or am I dumb? I can't log in, it just redirects back to the login page. I don't think I am misremembering my password, but I tried the "forgot password" link anyway. It also goes back to the login page, and I didn't get an email or any kind of indication it worked. I ran into this problem yesterday and figured I would just wait until today and hopefully it would have been fixed. I've tried with a couple different browsers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

No problem logging in here.

Thanks for taking a look, I sent SM an email about it.

e: apparently my account disappeared from their system, all fixed now

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Google Butt posted:

A capresso infinity is the cheapest burr grinder worth buying

I have had mine for at least 6 years and it still works. It has been used 1-2 times a day, almost every day. IMO that is a pretty low cost per cup of coffee.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

I have it set on my Capresso to "fine," but there's also "extre fine."

The instructions say "fine" is good for moka pots, but I'm open to suggestions.

Don't trust the manual suggestions, markings on the grinder, and actual grind sizes to match up super great. Judge by what comes out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

French press, stove-top kettle or cheap electric kettle, capresso infinity grinder.

A bad drip machine, or using pre-ground beans is going to make your coffee significantly worse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for small airtight containers that I can use to store single doses of coffee? (i.e., I weigh out the beans beforehand and store the in small jars so that when I want coffee I can just dump the jar into the grinder and go)

4oz canning jars are around $8 for a dozen.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I see 8oz cans of cold brew coffee selling for $4 each. This is insane. Cold brew is super low effort it's not some exotic drink.

Didn't you notice that there are two extra words in front of 'coffee'? That doesn't come cheap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

foxxtrot posted:

I'm confused, has the "dog bowl and heat gun" home roasting method become so common that people are now marketing special heat guns specifically for roasting?

I think the 'dog bowl' is integrated into this one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ThirstyBuck posted:

You just pump it up like a bicycle pump. No CO2.
Glad they managed to get some stroking into the product design.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Might as well start out with something like airpopper or heat gun, since those methods are really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you use a heatgun & dog bowl, you also get to own a heatgun and that could be useful later if you do any DIY type things.