Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any experience with the Baratza Esatto scale? I'd love to streamline my weighing process a bit in the mornings, but it does cost more than my actual grinder, so it's a bit of a tough sell.

Since I think it's been asked a few times in the thread, the Starbucks Barista from Baratza is a great grinder, and I am happy I got it. It has a nearly identical feature set to the Maestro, but it has a pulse button and a weighted base, which I'm pretty sure the Maestro doesn't have (it was also $.99 less for a refurb). I also like the colour scheme better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I'll admit to not having used one personally, but the general consensus I've seen is that the Rancilio Silvia is pretty much top tier for the price. Especially if you're interested in hacking it for better temperature control. There's quite a community built up around it.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's kind of insulting that they even call it "blonde" roast, as if any lighter and it's not even really roasted. :rolleyes:

As a testament to how little the "Blonde" moniker means, Starbucks calls the same roast True North up in Canada. I'll admit I like the branding better there, though.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the Mypressi Twist still a thing? I sort of stumbled upon them in my perpetual quest for an espresso machine that I can afford. Oliver Strand's old post on them seemed to indicate that they make great shots and that they are relatively simple to use.

Does anyone have any opinions on them? Are they even in production anymore? The official site hasn't been updated in over a year.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So my retired father has finally realized that instead of walking to his local coffee place to get a mediocre cup of coffee every day, he should probably start brewing at home.

As is usually the case with these sort of things, he doesn’t want anything too fancy. I was able to steer him away from the idea k-cups, but he still wants a single serve or very small drip machine.

For reference, this Hamilton Beach is what he sent me, but I feel like I’m almost too far through the looking glass to evaluate it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EI7DPS0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_v5x2EbPM9BCMM

I’ve been roasting my own beans and his birthday is coming up, so I was thinking I’d give him a starter bag of whole beans and I’d pass along my retired Baratza Encore grinder to get him started.

Any ideas on the coffee machine itself? I’m not entirely sure he’s going to stick with this so I’m a little loathe to get something too expensive.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you both for the recommendations. I should have said this but I actually have a Bonavita 1900 (trapped in an office I haven't been to since before the pandemic) and it's a great machine. I'm very aware of the SCA approved drip machines. The problem is that they're all more expensive and larger than his request. I think he's a bit stuck on the idea of a single serving brewer.

Perhaps I should just go with the Bonavita 5-cup model and see if he likes it. I know on my 8-cup Bonavita it's not too hard to brew right into a thermos, which seems to be his dream.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're willing to forego the warranty you can get a much nicer dual boiler shipped to the us from italy for us appartamento price, or you could watch the chris coffee sales page for a floor model of something you're interested in popping up. I bought a vetrano 2b evo floor model from them a few months ago and have been very happy for the price ($2300 shipped)

Could you elaborate on importing from Italy a little bit? I've got a Acaso Dream PID on my wedding registry, but it's really just a placeholder for "an espresso machine that's about $1,000 that looks pretty."

I've been considering the Acaso Dream, the Rocket Appartamento and the Lelit Mara X, but I'm really in no rush and not tied to any of them. My Breville Infuser can tide me over a few more months if I need to wait a bit to get more bang for my buck. Similar to the OP, I basically make lattes, cortados and rarely straight espresso - mostly less than 4 shots per day.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like my Brewista scale. It has the modes and timers you need for coffee or espresso, and is a lot cheaper than the Acacia Lunar and such. Great customer service and I don’t think I’ve charged the battery this year. It just works.

Seconding this - my experience, as well.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

:siren: Hoffmann's Aeropress technique video is up :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VlT_jUVPc

I love how simple this ended up, especially if you're inclined to use lighter roasts. He really cuts through a lot of myths inherited from other coffee production techniques and/or total nonsense (stopping your press at the hiss makes no sense at all if you think about it).

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skooms posted:

I haven't used the standard method in months, and forgot how much water you lose to gravity (especially over a 2.5 minute pre infusion period) while waiting to extract. I feel like the difference in volume of water steeping to coffee would adjust the extraction you would get between the two methods.

If you get a good seal with the plunger while doing the standard method the amount of drip is pretty negligible. He does end up choosing the standard method simply so he can do more volume if needed - if you like inverted the results should be pretty much the same either way.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skooms posted:

Ahhhh, yeah that makes sense, thanks! I'm not used to the standard method and was brewing without the plunger.

Speaking of Aeropress plunger seal, I also love that he reminds folks to pull up on the plunger to create some negative pressure after brewing to prevent drips. Genius!

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to be able to make me and my partner dirty chai iced lattes as a summer treat from time to time... I used to work at a cafe and I recall that we just mixed chai concentrate (liquid from a box) with milk before pouring the espresso in. I know it's technically a tea question, but do any of you have favorite concentrate mixes so that I can do this at home?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Wanna buy a sub-1000 bucks spring lever machine? Now you can.

Is this actually good? I'm intrigued and I can't find much about it online.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Any goons in here align their burrs?

The 40 page thread on the home barista forums makes it feel a wee bit intimidating, but I’d love to do it. I just haven’t seen a foolproof guide yet. I even just got my Vario back from a repair and they were kind enough to upgrade me to the metal chamber as part of the refurbishment, so I’m quite primed to do it…

There might be a bit more attention coming to this mod soon, with Baratza releasing the Vario+.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qutius posted:

I am going to have about 2k to spend on an upgraded espresso setup. I've been rocking a Baratza Preciso for years and have been happy with the grinder but I want a step up.

The machine I've been running, a Breville Infuser, has been fine as well, but I want an upgrade there too.

If you had two grand to spend at Clive Coffee, and typically pulling shots only and not many milk drinks at all, what would you be going after?

It seems like the Eureka Specialita or the Oro single dose along with the Lelit Victoria would be good fits. Any thoughts?

I just swapped my Breville Infuser for a Lelit MaraX at the beginning of the year and I'm loving it - huge upgrade in every way. I did so much research and just kept coming back to it. A few of the highlights:

• The double-PID setup that controls E61 grouphead temperature is totally unique to this machine, even a year after its release. You get all of the benefits of an E61 and none of flushing to manage temperatures.
  • Double boiler machines in this price range (Lelit Elizabeth, I'm looking at you) are quite physically unattractive to me.
  • Further, double boiler hype seems way overblown in practice (especially since it inherently limits the size of the boilers if you want to have a reasonable sized machine on your countertop).
  • You can flip a switch and make it into a traditional E61 if you want more steam pressure or don't mind flushing before brewing. Having said that, the steam pressure has been strong in coffee-priority mode.
  • $1,400 price tag left me some money if I ever want to upgrade my grinder to a Niche Zero or the like. I already had a Baratza Vario that is serving me well (and was recently serviced/upgraded), so I've kicked that down the road a bit, personally.
  • Flow control is fun and it came as a free upgrade when I ordered from Chris' Coffee.
  • It's even narrower than my Breville Infuser, but it weighs 50 pounds. This results in a bit of a crowded looking control panel, but I haven't run into any problems in practice, and I think it looks quite nice overall.
  • Gentle, linear pre-infusion means I can get good shots without putting in a ton of effort, but if I want to get fiddly with temperatures/pressures/etc, I can.

Having said all that, if you really don't need steaming capabilities, the Flair 58 and the Cafelat Robot both supposedly produce fantastic results, as does the steam wand-less Quick Mill Carola Evo (which is an E61 single boiler without a steam wand).

Edit: I'm sorry to say that neither the MaraX nor the Carola Evo are available off of Clive Coffee's website, but they stock other Lelit and Quick Mill machines. If you're truly locked in to a specific vendor I'm sure you could request a special order for a competitive price.

Happy Pizza Guy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 12, 2022

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a baby coming in a few months and I'd like to squirrel away cold brew in advance of the delivery. Does anyone have a go-to affordable bean option for this purpose? I feel weird using the fancy stuff I use for espresso in such large quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PortobelloPirate posted:

A little dish soap and a microfiber cloth works well for me.

I make a spray bottle with a few drips of Dawn Ultra dish soap and water and use that with a tea towel to clean the exterior of my espresso machine. It comes out great every time.