Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The CCD and other immersion brewers with stoppers have become my go to. I've completely stopped using a french press because of them. I'm probably at 70/30 CCD to pour over at this point.

I really wish they made a larger capacity Aeropress. If they made one that held around 400 grams of water, I'd probably ditch all the other methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if I wanted to make an affogato and don't have an espresso machine, could I take some mason jars to a coffee shop, order a few espressos, put them in the jars and then take them home to serve them on ice cream a few hours later, or am I going to lose something during the few hours it's sitting around

I've used an Aeropress and the standard brewing method (with no hot water added at the end) for this and it's worked out well.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

I just got one of these too. It updates the weight several times a second, is able to have its auto-off disabled, and has apparently been designed to be blasted point-blank by espresso shots and shrug it off.

However, I find it's automatic tare+timer mode useless for pourover because it does not account for a bloom period or a pulsated pour. The timer will start when the bloom water is added and not stop unless you intervene.

If you try and reach your target water weight by pouring in separate intervals instead of a continuous pour, the scale gets confused and may auto-tare again when the next interval pour is started.

I've been using it in full manual mode.

On my own tangent, I also just got a Zojurishi water boiler since their website led me to believe that it could be set up to have 208F water at a set time and to keep it at that temperate for hours.

I'm still playing with it, but so far it seems like anything north of 185F gets really inconsistent in terms of getting a controlled temperature into your kettle.

I have one of the cheaper Zojirushi boilers and I've tested temperatures quite a bit. the water is kept pretty constant at 208F in the boiler, but the manual pump on my model instantly cools the water by a surprising amount. I've never had it read above 192 and that's tested the instant it comes out of the spout. I've wondered if a model with an electric pump would cool it less.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been using my Aeropress a lot lately, so I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off buying an electric kettle. Right now I just microwave the water. How long do these electric kettles take to bring the water to temp? I'm looking at the Bonavita, but if there's one that would be better I'm open to suggestions.

My 1 liter Bonavita takes about 5 minutes to reach 200 F starting with very cold water. It has a hold feature that will keep the water at a set temperature for an hour, which is nice.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ch3cooh posted:

I think I did a little better on this hitch.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

Any of you dudes use a single cup brewer? I'm going to be having some house guests fairly soon and I'm not going to burden then with learning + using pourover methods. I was going to get a drip machine until I realized that it will have very limited use, so then I started to look at single cup brewers. It's probably a much better solution for my use case.

I hate the disposable things, so I looked into ones that are reusable. Has anyone tried the Bunn MCU?? It has 4 baskets - hot water, coffee grinds, tea leaves, and keurig pods. I'll leave that last one in the cupboard but it seems to do everything I'm looking for (I love tea as well, I do wish it had temp control but oh well). Would just like to hear first-hand experiences if anyone has them!
Have you heard of the Clever Dripper? If it's going to have very limited use, it might save you some money. No one has to learn any new techniques, it's cheap, and makes a great cup of coffee.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah I ended up just putting half as much through. Still alive!

Does anyone else have both an Encore and a Clever? What grind setting do you use? I've been using 20

I use that set up a bunch. I use 20 for almost everything, and I don't bloom because I stir the hell out of it. That little bit of coarseness on the grind plus the turbulence seems to work out well.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Al2001 posted:

I'm a coffee n00b who was going to get a moka pot, but just now saw a Cuisinart DGB900BCU bean-to-cup for £35 used (new they are £150.) Does anyone want to talk me into/out of purchasing this? (I have what looks like a decent DeLonghi burr grinder at home already thanks to my ex-flatmate being into coffee.)

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

That page will give you a list of home drip brewers that meet some pretty important requirements for a decent cup of coffee. Proper water temp control, pre-infusion, brew time, etc...

The Technivorm is expensive, but a bunch of those brewers are less than $150.

If you think you'll generally brew less than 18 ounces or so at a time, then you should probably look into a pour over set up, or a Clever Dripper.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Anyone have a procedure they like for clever drippers? I see ratios ranging anywhere from 1:14 to 1:20 and brew times anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00 minutes. Are they really that forgiving?

They really are. That’s why they’re great. You can play around with recipes until you find the one you like best, but until then it’s really hard to make a genuinely bad cup of coffee with a clever dripper .

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

jet sanchEz posted:

I've had a Clever Coffee Dripper clone for a bunch of years now and I like it but there doesn't seem to be a way to take it apart to properly clean in, does anyone know of a similar drip coffee maker that can be disassembled for cleaning?

You can take a real CCD apart. Just push the stopper through the hole. It takes a little force, but it won’t break. The bottom will pop out, and you can clean the inside.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

Quick question, is the Technivorm Moccamaster KBC741 enough of a step up from the Bonavita BV1900TS? Someone is offering me a 2nd hand one for £69 and i'm tempted.

I personally couldn't pass it up just because it's a deal and it's so much more aesthetically pleasing. If you have one of the older Bonavitas where the filter basket sits on the carafe, I would get the Moccamaster for sure.

It won't brew a significantly better cup of coffee, though. The Bonavita does everything a drip brewer needs to do. I'm just salty that I have the older model. I barely use it, but I'm annoyed at the filter basket every time I do.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

Think you've given me enough reason to get one, my Bonavita filter does sit on the carafe, why is that bad out of interest? Guess the only issue is the Moccamaster doesn't have a insulated carafe but guess you can buy those?

It's just bad/inconvenient design. After you brew a pot, you have to find someplace to put the basket so you can put a lid on your carafe. With every other brewer, that place would be the brewer itself.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Bought a Wave on a lark and I think I like it better than the v60. It could be New Toy Effect though

I pick the wave over a v60 like 90 percent of the time. Sometimes I'll find a bean that has really delicate fruit notes that the v60 highlights but the kalita flattens. But those occasions are pretty rare.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Ok, so my good coffee plan seems to be to buy this Bonavita BV1901PS for $95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WD5QBV Then also pick up the Capresso infinity (mostly cause it's cheaper than the other one). Seem reasonable?

That's a good plan, but I would also say get a scale to weigh your coffee. Don't use a spoon or eyeball it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah Swiss Water Process is about the only decaf I've ever found remotely passable.

I have a friend who had to cut caffeine and he just couldn't stand any decaf coffee. He stated drinking dark chocolate cocoa or mexican hot chocolates. There's a little caffeine in there (like 15mg), but way less than coffee.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

angor posted:

Just moved into a new place and currently have nothing to brew coffee with. How updated is the OP? I'm looking to go drip - is there a huge difference between something like the Bonavita BV1901TS and the Technivorm Moccamaster? What about the Ninja one, is that any good?

Also, what's the general consensus on grinders? If I had a budget, should I go with a more expensive grinder and cheaper drip machine or vice versa? Best pair for $400? $500?

More expensive grinder for sure. You could spend less than $30 bucks on something to brew the coffee and come away with a great cup. If I was on a budget, I'd get a really good grinder and use a Clever Dripper or French Press until I could afford a brewer. And that Bonavita is a very good brewer. If you have money to burn a Moccamaster is stylish as hell, but it's a luxury item.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I gently dig into the grounds with a bamboo spoon while they bloom, and I've only managed to tear through the ultra thin Hario filters once in like 3 years ago. I'm super curious how you'd do it otherwise.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Anyone doing some Japanese iced coffee right not? I haven't done it but with it being so loving hot right now I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Anyone needed with Hoffman's recipe?

I don’t gently caress with regular cold brew at all. Flash cooled/Japanese style all day every day. The Clever Dripper works great for it because you can control your steep time and agitation which helps since you’re exposing the grounds to less water volume.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

I ordered the Light Roast cafec filters for my v60... gotta say I vastly prefer the hario filters over this but I will need to tinker with the grind size again to say for sure. I lost all the blueberry I had from my hario filter this morning on this Ethiopian Natural.

I gave away the pack of light roast filters I bought. They didn’t improve a single cup no matter what I tried. I figured the whole thing was another lame gimmick.

But the medium roast filters have been better for me than the standard hario filters. You have to be more mindful of high and dry grounds because of the texture, but other than that they’ve become my go to filter.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Last year I cut the corner of of a cold brew coffee sock and used that as a filter. I put it in a V-60 and it worked totally fine.

Later on I got the cotton hario filter with the handle and I use it with the V60 decanter and it fits perfectly without the actual V60 insert, and more importantly brews perfectly without it. The handle sticks out of the pour spout.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

seravid posted:

The solution is clear: full-rear end this by returning the Pro 2 and buying the electric 58 instead... Solves every issue while hitting hard on the nostalgia factor. Almost 600€, though, Jesus Christ. At that point, you might as well save up a little and go for an automatic machine, right? Or are those only worth it in the 4 digit range?

The Gaggia Classic Pro and Rancilio Silia are both excellent quality for the price and can be modified fairly cheaply with PIDs to make them even better. They might be more what you’re looking for than even the Flair 58.

You might want to give this a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIGdYy5of4

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 15, 2022

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

For some weird reason, REI got the Aeropress XL before anyone else. I managed to snag one before they sold out. First thing people should know- the filters are bigger than the standard size, and at the moment no one is selling the XL size filters. Including Aeropress. The filters are 2.75 inches in diameter which also means you can't buy a circle punch and punch out your own filters. No one makes that size punch anymore. it might be easier to find one outside of the US if someone makes a 7 cm punch. I would hope that Aeropress is selling the filter by the end of June, because it seems like that's when this thing was supposed to come out. I think REI jumped the gun on selling them.

That said, it brews exactly like a standard Aeropress. The recipes scale up perfectly. I did a 500 ml standard style brew and had a good 50 - 70 ml drip through before I could get the plunger in to create a vacuum. It didn't affect the taste. I also did a 500 ml inverted brew, which was a little scarier than normal but it wasn't a real issue. Knocking it over would suck so bad, but I've never hosed up an inverted Aeropress in the 15 years I've used them so I'll try to keep my streak going.

It comes with a Tritan plastic carafe and a long boy stirrer, which are both pretty essential for the increased size of the thing. The carafe makes the $75 bucks I paid sting a little less, but it's still pretty pricy. The carafe does not come with a lid, either. It's really just included so people don't complain that the XL doesn't work with their mug of choice.

It also looks like a penis pump.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bishop Beo posted:

Huh! Can you post some pictures of it and it’s various bits?
I included some OG stuff for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Before I actually used it, I thought they should have used the same filters and just made it taller. But after using it, there’s no way that would be feasible.

Pressing down on that tall of a cylinder would have been difficult for anyone under 6 feet tall to get leverage. And if you didn’t press exactly straight down, the carafe would have tipped and shot out in a random direction. There would have been so many spills or even shattered coffee cups.