Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Long shot: does anyone know about the internal mechanics of an espresso machine?

This is the boiler from my bean to cup machine (Philips Saeco Minuto ) and I think it is blocked. When I start the machine, the water priming struggles and eventually errors out.

I've run the machine uncovered and there is water pressure to the boiler, but nothing comes out.

I need someone to confirm that it is supposed to be free-flowing when disconnected- i.e. if I blow into the inlet, my air will come out of outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Scaramouche posted:

Can't help with the air flow process but that's a bog standard Saeco boiler that can be had quite cheap:
https://encompass.com/item/9702221/Saeco/996530007586/Slim_Tub.boiler_1300W_120V_Assy.

Priming can be the pump, even if it engages it might not be engaging hard enough. Oddly the pump is more expensive to replace anyway:
https://encompass.com/item/9702281/Saeco/996530007754/Ulka_Pump_Eap5_s_120V-60hz

Blockage in the boiler in my experience (not a lot) is because either scale built up and got crazy, or a heating element blew and spewed its guts all over. How old is it, and how bad is your water? And have you been descaling?

Thanks.

I am in the UK, so I guess I have to find a 220v version, but at least I know it is a standard part, so that helps.

I live in an extremely hard water area that kills kitchen stuff and I do descale when the machine says it should, but if I am honest, I should probably have done it more, given just how hard it is.
Machine is 3 years old. It is on its second boiler (it was replaced when I had warranty claim on the temperature sensor)

The pump seems to be working okay: it makes the same sound as it always has, I've opened it up and it was surprisingly clean.
When I test ran it without the metal hose clips on, the pressure was sufficient to blow it off the pump connector and blind me.

I've tried pushing a thin wire round the boiler and it seems to go a hell of a long way in, but not all the way out the other side. I've tried soaking it in descaling fluid.

If there is a blockage, it seems to be in a single area inside the boiler. I can't take it apart to look at (like other boilers), but I am loathe to swap it out without understanding if it is really blocked, or there is supposed to be a natural restriction.