Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Any comments on the Bodum 51oz bean iced coffee maker vs something like the toddy? The toddy seems kind of annoying to me, and the bodum could be used for hot as well. (has two caps one that seals and a pouring/plunger one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Steve Yun posted:

Bonavita variable-temp kettles are $78? Were they always this price or did they just drop recently?

http://gizmodo.com/5938541/this-kettle-heats-water-to-the-exact-temperature-you-want
It says $100 on the page. They aren't even released yet, Every place I have seen has been $89.

Edit: Found it on amazon, looks like it was just added at that price (I looked for it before).

Both the 1L and the 1.7L are available.

1L - http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40
1.7L - http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-1-7-Liter-Variable-Temperature-Gooseneck/dp/B008YE3RNG

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 29, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Back in the day when I lived in San Diego, Cafe Calabria was one of my favorites. I miss that place.

To bring it more local, this is one of my local roasters (http://www.kickapoocoffee.com). It's not bad on price either, $9-12 a lb, offered in bulk in a few places around here. They even won microroaster of the year in 2010.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Now I want a HotTop and arduino board and a way to make an iOS app to control/monitor the roast from inside the house while it roasts outside...mm...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

:siren:
Pre Black Friday weeklong sale on Newegg for a Saeco Aroma $179 with promo code: EMCJJJH96

Is this a good starter machine? Is it worth paying $100-200 more to get a better one?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is the cheapest machine recommendable. As per usual advice, a 500bux grinder and this machine will make better espresso than a 100bux grinder and a la marzocco.

As far as whether this is good for beginners, it depends on how big you want to go. This is still a single boiler, pressurized portafilter espresso maker. The steamwand isn't the best, too. But it's an entry level machine.

I just got a Baratza Virtuoso (w/ the preciso burrs). Seriously thinking about this now, thanks for the info.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I almost jumped on the Aroma at $179, now here I am again but at $129. My biggest fear is that I'll get one, then immediately want to upgrade to a nicer machine.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

buy a better grinder then.

Speaking of grinders, my grinder can take this a portafilter holder, but man reviews are bad. I assume people just do the standard make a mess pouring it into the portafilter? Or "gasp" hold it?

Edit: Now with more link -- http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/baratza-portaholder

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Anybody have any opinions on the kickstarted PID espresso machine, they are taking pre-orders now, but yet no machines.

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
You could probably rig up a slick stand + a motorized whirly pop and have a pretty epic roasting rig on the cheap.

I've been trying with my hot air popper, and I can't get any good consistency, and can't get any darkness, roasting them longer just seems to wreck the roast..leaving them flavorless. Heat gun looks kind of slick, but a lot of work. Think I might just save the pennies for a Behmor.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The problem is I roast in the garage, which ranges from 30-40 degrees right now. Tried getting the air temp up, but then it's super dry, so it is all over the place. Beans are getting hot enough but won't hit 2nd crack, or even get to a full city, so not sure what's up, probably just temperature.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Behmor ordered. Happy birthday to me!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

The bags the green beans come in are plastic, but have lots of tiny holes in them for ventilation. As long as you don't keep them too long, and keep them in a stable environment they should be ok.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
First roast with the Behmor 1600 complete, worked extremely well I thought. First crack happened almost exactly when the manual said it would, hit second crack right when the machine was turning off (although missed this in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmjnMPbiOW8

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Here is my saeco aroma kicking off some shots. Really need to get a thermometer on it, or a pid or a new machine.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BraveUlysses posted:

Try finding a non pressurized portafilter first and see how you like it.

I hacked the existing one, removed all the pressurized stuff already.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Google Butt posted:

How are you liking this machine? I was looking to jump into espresso and from my research the aroma seems to be the cheapest one worth buying.

I don't have much to compare it to, but I think I paid $130 for it from seattlecoffeegear.com, removed the pressurization from the portafilter, got a tamp, and have been using it daily for 2-3 months. The only bad part is getting a really bitter or sour shot if the temp isn't right. The temp range on the 'ready to brew' is quite insane, something like 30-40 degrees. You can put a probe next to the boiler and then 'temp surf' to get it right (or just time from machine turn on to when the best shot is), or auber instruments sells a PID just for it, but it's ~$160. My goal is to switch to the Breville 900xl dual-boiler, so trying to avoid spending more on this one.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The only issue I have is that it is smaller than the non gooseneck one, and it seems to be a little slower to get up to temp compared to my old one. I think this is because it has a smaller heating element.

Two minor quibbles, otherwise it's great. Even has a count up timer.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I've been wanting to upgrade my espresso machine, and now I'm closer to reality, and completely have no clue what to do.

Torn between the breville BES900XL (http://www.brevilleusa.com/dual-boiler-espresso.html) or something like the Izzo Duetto 3. Obviously these are in different classes, but really the question is should I go for something with a complete E61 grouphead (or partial) or just go for the Breville which is a whole bunch cheaper (ie I could get double boiler instead of single in an E61).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dusty posted:

How serious are you Enigma? The Breville is a nice appliance, but it doesn't have the romance of a proper E61, and I'm not convinced you'd get the same lifespan out of it.

The Breville is really well thought out though. - the lockable wheel system is bella fun to play with. Plus auto timer, pre infusion adjustment et al.

What are you using now?

Yeah, I was really set on getting the Breville, mostly because of cost. But then started realizing that it looks quite modern and fancy, which is fine now, but in 10 years...will it just look dated, and will it be busted? Plus if I'm spending $1k on it, and then later end up spending $2k on something else. That said $2k is still a lot of money on an espresso machine...

Using a Saeco Aroma right now, with the portafilter dropped out and a replacement steam wand on it. I hate having to temp surf it, almost bought a PID for it, and then realized I should really put it towards a new machine.

medchem posted:

I just went through the same debate with the La Spaziale Dream included with the two you mentioned. I went with the Duetto 3 in the end. I got it from Chris Coffee. They even gave me 200 off when I asked if they had any specials. If you go with the more expensive machine, I recommend buying from them.

I've literally had the Duetto for 2 days now. So far, it's pretty awesome. The reason I went with it over the Breville was that I just wanted something that should last me forever. That's not to say the Breville won't. I just didn't want to take a chance. Also, the price difference was not as big of a deal because I had a tax refund that basically made up for it and I was able to sell off some crap lying around the house for a few hundred.

Anyway, I would recommend scouring coffeegeek and home-barista forums and maybe even asking for advice. In the end, you cant really go wrong in my opinion. You'll have justified reasons for buying any of the machines, but it's important that you yourself believe them. So, you need to go through that research process first. Also, Breville will introduce something new at the SCAA meeting in Boston this weekend, so that might change your mind there.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

One other thing that is kind of bothering me, is that the E61's take something like 20 minutes to heat up. The Breville has a built in timer to let you start it up, and my Saeco takes like 90 seconds to heat up right now...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Thanks for all the help and info on the Breville Double Boiler vs E61 machines.

I ended up going for a warehouse deal on Amazon for the breville, nearly a third of the price of the E61 single boiler ones. I still want something with lots of chrome and brass and levers, but this should step up my coffee game considerably. Comes in thursday, will throw up some impressions.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Well, well, what do we have here:

I buy it from Warehouse Deals on Amazon in 'Very Good' Condition, notes said it had a damaged box. Opened it up and everything was wrapped still, and all filters/etc were brand new. Only thing out of place was a few scratches on the front face towards the bottom, and a sticker with a barcode on one side. Appears that this may be a refurbished by Breville one. Only downside, have to get aftermarket warranty.

Got it all setup, ran a few shots through it, so far so good. The tamp isn't as nice as my rattleware one (that was 53mm, this is 58mm :( ). The automatic buttons where it does pre-infusion + single/double, appear to go based on volume, so that took me a few times to realize that and calibrate it correctly. The first few shots also showed about 3 bars of pressure, and I thought the pump was bad. Turns out the grind I had to use for the Saeco Aroma wasn't cutting it here, so I had to go finer. Saeco would have choked on it this fine. Might get some action shots of it tomorrow.

Edit: Also it's huge, like easily 2-3x bigger than the Saeco (which is a tiny machine). My poor wife has lost more of what little counter space we had. Guess we need to move :)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Alleric posted:

So any of you espresso junkies in here used a VST basket yet? I am a mouse-click from ordering one, but something's keeping me from doing it. I've read the various coffee forum threads about it, but I dunno.

I so almost bought the triple and double ridgeless last night.

Went for the espresso parts HQ baskets instead (really just want a triple basket), $16 instead of $66...can't argue with that. The 22g standard basket is $20 right now instead of $29, although I wanted the ridgeless.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a $10 off $25 for roastmasters.com, anything good there? Or should I just forgo it and order from sweet marias/metropolis.

Looking for some stuff for drip coffee (I roast some for my mother), and also for espresso (me!)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Speaking of coffee bean reviews and roasting. Anyone have any good software online or for OS X/iOS that let's you manage roasts, something like BehmorThing (RoasterThing now I think).

Would love something that helps me hit roasts better for specific beans.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just bought Roastmaster for iOS, I guess the obsessiveness has begun.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I threw up my Saeco Aroma I am no longer using on SA-Mart. Has a few issues (see post), but I think it's a pretty good price for a good little machine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559601

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

brb kickstartering a Li-ion rechargeable grinder based on the form factor of a mini mill but with metal and ceramic components.

Have it use dewalt or makita battery packs, and then we can do espresso machines as well, none of this hand pump nonsense.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

ded posted:

Is this normal wear for a Behmor 1600? I've only done 3 1/4lb roasts so far. It looks like scorching.

Yeah mine has about ~30 roasts on it, and it is not quite as shiny, and according to Roastmaster isn't making a difference. Did clean it out and do the empty thing as well (after like 20 instead of whatever it tells you to do in the manual). It gets ~350 degrees in there, things will discolor a bit, and over time might affect things, but use some simple green and do the runs without stuff in it, and it should take you well into the hundreds of roasts.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Sick of having to heat up and measure water, and then do a pour over? Kickstarter to the rescue!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102734022/invergo-an-automated-pour-over-coffee-system

Edit: Almost went for the non-pro at $50, then saw it shipping December of 2014...and with delays that means 2015...whee!

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 30, 2013

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DragonWC99 posted:

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

Black Friday Sale: Buy 1 lb coffee get one free. No Limit.

Redline is great stuff. Love this stuff but hate buying just a lb and shipping.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
For portable grinding...hario? porlex? lido? (wait until the 2 comes out?)

Edit: Probably to be used with aeropress or the bonavita dripper. Maybe portable espresso machine in the future...

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 4, 2013

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Nespresso are actually pretty good, completely different world than k-cups. Expensive and not as good as someone who knows what they are doing on a good machine, but 3-star restaurants use them, and for good reason.

If you want espresso drinks and don't mind paying the price for the capsules, I'd say keep it.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 26, 2013

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Depends on where in the midwest you are, but Colectivo Coffee is pretty good, mostly WI/IL area though. Used to be Alterra Coffee. They do drip, but the ones I've been to have all been outfitted with v60 pourover areas as well as others.

http://colectivocoffee.com/cafes/cafes-map/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

le capitan posted:

Yeah, I'm in northwest Wisconsin so I've never heard of Blue Bottle or Colectivo.

I thought about getting a mini mill, but my barista girlfriend already thinks I'm crazy and we're hopefully moving somewhere on the west coast in Spring where we shall never have coffee problems again.

I'm in west-central part of WI. Closest coffee shop that might even be ok is 30 minutes away, otherwise I have Caribou or Starbucks. Sourcing good coffee is ok, there is a co-op that carries Kickapoo Coffee, but it's a crapshoot wether it's too old or not. If you can get it fresh Kickapoo Coffee is great.

But yeah, I have an espresso machine, own pourover stuff, aeropress, etc...roast my own beans because otherwise I'm not getting anything.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

geetee posted:

In other news... I ran out of roasted beans and my behmor wouldn't turn on because it's too cold in the garage. Waiting for it to warm up inside before I try again.

You can bring it in and let it warm up, but I just throw a mr heater portable propane heater pointed at the intake (right) side and after 3-5 mins you can roast.

The problem being now you're spending 20 minutes in a freezing garage.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Needed to roast today, but a bit cold, so to avoid the Err1 on the Behmor...measures had to be taken.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Even Baratza's new grinder which is a beast, comes in two styles.

Baratza Forte-AP (All Purpose - but includes portafilter holder and ceramic burrs)
https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1085

Baratza Forte-BG (Brew Grinder - steel burrs)
https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1086

It probably does a slightly better job, but it should at $1000 :)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

TheJeffers posted:

My amateur eyes tell me it's right past second crack. I didn't hear it, but there appears to be a lot of oil on the surface of the beans and it's pretty dark. I'm letting it outgas now. Even if I did screw it up, the process was fun and smelled delicious. The truth will be in the taste, I guess.

That looks just beyond a Full City+ from what I can see. (hulls in the fracture are starting to be removed, full city+ generally has the full hull through the fracture -- these are not the right words, but hopefully understood)

It's interesting, the sweet maria's guide shows that anything on the other side of 2nd crack is basically carbonized, but that hasn't been my experience.

(The guide in question: https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

becoming posted:

I lack impulse control and really love pour-over, so I bought a Takahiro 900ml kettle. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome. I expected it to be better than my Bonavita but not this much so. For anyone considering the purchase, take this as an endorsement. It is an absolute delight to pour with.

I assume you had the bonavita gooseneck? Tried the Hario one?

I have the bonavita gooseneck electric variable temp kettle one. The Hario/Takahiro are booth woo'ing me, with their looks and old school charm. Not sure if I want to do it though.

Edit: Also, pretty sure my wife got me a 10-cup Chemex for my upcoming birthday. I just realized my kettle is 1-liter, and 10-cups is 1.5 liters...how do I do this?

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 13, 2014