Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
ok, I love coffee, but my favorite is coffee with chicory. Anyone have recommendations for ratios/coffee types?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

djbaseball24 posted:

am I wrong for loving my Keurig?

Nope, it's as good as most drip coffee, including what you get at coffee shops. Don't let the haters get you down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Like others here before me, I tried the starbucks lighter roast. ha. They have a display of the three roasts they employ. Three clear plastic tubes filled with the three roasts. At a glance, they are dark roast, burnt, charcoal, so I assume the dark roast is their new "blonde."

Tasted like crap.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 17, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Deus Rex posted:

I've been french pressing my coffee for about 5 months with a blade grinder, getting really tired of it but I'm not quite ready yet to spend $150+ on a burr grinder that can do espresso grinds which I don't even need quite yet. So I think I'm going to go with a hand grinder, does anyone have any thoughts on this one from Kyocera? The reviews seem to be a little better than the Skerton for about the same price but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-CF-Ceramic-Grinder/dp/B003S9XF7K/

I have it, and like it, but it's a slowish process. I sit and watch tv while I grind up some beans.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

geetee posted:

I was concerned about the added water as well. I have one of those no2 powered espresso makers, so I'll give that a shot. I don't have any roasted espresso beans right now--only greens. Would some fc+ Columbian work?

Good idea with the fine grinds. I once folded whipped cream and fine grinds into ganache. I forgot how good that came out, and there was no graininess.

Thanks all!

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not simply do a filter brew using your milk/cream as the liquid? Heat to 195, pour through or CCD it and then use that milk/cream as your base liquid. No added liquid, no gritty texture.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rockcity posted:

You're going to risk burning the milk sugars at that temperature. Typically you only heat ice cream bases to about 170. And finely ground coffee will not add a gritty texture if have a good grinder.

Yeah, I actually knew the temp had to be lower....that makes sense. As for grit, why not just brew/filter and so eliminate the variable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would rather cold brew drip it with water then add cream than cold brew with milk.

To use as a base for ice cream? The point is to prevent dilution.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

water + cream = milk.

Also you can make the cold brew drip as concentrated as you want. I think the sentiment is that cold brew drip is weak. I would argue that you can make it just as strong as a ristretto espresso and have it taste just as full flavored. You can get way better fat % when doing it this way which can give you a significantly better textured ice cream.

Milk is not just watered cream. Your plan could work, but I doubt it. Mixing cream and water doesn't actually blend, and you're missing the milk solids. I suspect you'd get bad ice crystals that way.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ice crystals are a function of how fast it freezes and if you're worried about that just throw it in a pacojet or use liquid nitrogen.

In terms of ice cream texture milk solids play little to no part of the texture game. Sugar percentage, fat percentage, egg percentage (assuming custard not philadelphia ice cream) (or other hydrocolloids, guar, xanthan, etc), and speed of freezing are what affect perceived creaminess.

Sounds like you are knowledgeable, but wouldn't a typical home ice cream freezer do better with milk/cream than with water added? I've always found any water becomes crystals, even if churned, but cream doesn't. Is that a function of temp?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Not true. I just think the French press is overrated. There's nothing even French about it. It was invented by an Italian, and the French don't even drink regular coffee for the most part. They drink espresso. And the coffee that came out of it tasted like buttcrack. I'd take it back to the store if I hadn't lost the receipt. I think I'll just chalk this up to hipsters hyping something outdated and inconvenient because it goes against the mainstream.

Such open hostility makes it clear you didn't really approach this unbiased. Coffee nerds are like all nerds. You can get 90% of the improvement with 10% of the effort and cost, but that doesn't mean there's no diff, nor that it isn't worth it to some. Keurig does solve some issues. Quick, single cups that can be quite as good as typical shared office drip coffee. But it can't match carefully made, good coffee.

And for those saying if someone puts cream and sugar they can't appreciate the better/best coffees, they're wrong, too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

A jargogle posted:

Hey goons I need some advice on how to best make use of this machine I got bought for Christmas (No I cannot return it, for social reasons).

Now according to the OP and my petty personal experience, these machines and the one-drink capsules they take are pieces of poo poo, but I more or less have to be seen to be using this for at least ~6 months (again, social reasons).

As a result I'm wondering, is it possible to make some kind of re-usable version of these capsules that I fill with my own ground coffee? Does anyone know how the mechanism on these machines work, and whether that would be possible?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to salvage this that would be nice too as I'm basically just trying to salvage some value out of this thing since it *is* a gift and I'd hate to a) buy more overpriced capsules or b) not use it at all.

The refillables I've tried kinda sucked. I have found a drinkable, low plastic brand I like, though. San Francisco bay Fogchaser, has a tea bag type body instead of plastic, decent cup of coffee for the office. Beats Starbucks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Any thoughts on the fresh roast SR300 roaster?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

lauresh posted:

Did the coffee turn out any good?

Pour enough of that coffee mate in, it won't matter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Casull posted:

It turned out great! It's basically a faster version of cranking the grinder by hand.

I'm in an office kitchen, because of course I need to grind my own beans at work. I normally take my coffee black, so I can't do lovely office coffee anymore (which is unfortunate in a way because it just means I've been spoiled.)

I was just kidding.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik posted:

The Tanz and Mex came in today form Royal Mile/MasterControl. Brewed up a couple cortados with the tanz. Holy poo poo this stuff is good. If you haven't bought this goon's beans yet you're really doing yourself a disservice.

My order came in today, too. Trip report tomorrow.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

My order came in today, too. Trip report tomorrow.

Used the peaberry in my CCD. Excellent, smooth.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
San-Francisco-Bay-Coffee-Fogchaser

It's the best kcup I've had. No plastic cup, so less waste, and better tasting than most.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mu Zeta posted:

Hey I'll microwave a hot dog and put it on wonder bread once in a while but I don't think it tastes good. It's a time saver and also I hate myself.

You know, in just x minutes you could bake a roll and while it's baking, grind fresh sausage.

Yeah, I love my CCD, I roast my own beans and I still did keurig at work because it was faster and better than Starbucks. Not every cup of coffee has to be an experience.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Corla Plankun posted:

It is fine to use a keurig like it is fine to wear pajamas all day, but I don't post about my pajamas in the fashion thread and I wish people would stop posting about their keurigs in this one.

I feel the same way about the endless espresso talk. I get over it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Google Butt posted:

Start a keurig thread

Why? It comes up every three or four pages and is quickly dealt with. It is coffee.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

terre packet posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent value bean? Safeway? Costco?

Some Safeway's do onsite roasting. Not top tier beans, but good beans, and fresh roasting makes a big difference.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik posted:

In terms of value, nothing beats home roasting. You can get some great beans for ~$5-6/lb and end up with some pretty loving awesome coffee.

Yes and no. That assumes you can get a uniform roast you like consistently. I never could, so I wasted a lot of beans on under roasted, over roasted and, god help me, burnt and under roasted in the same batch. Never had as good as what I bought.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ded posted:

You should have zero problems if you use something like a whirlypop and keep the drat beans agitated.

So people say. But, I've found my enormous inability to get consistent roasts more than overcomes the advantage I would get in the future. It just wasn't worth the incremental upgrade in quality for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

a messed up horse posted:

Man, I've had great luck with my Behmor. Biggest thing holding me back is my own fear of letting it go too long and torching a batch. What were you roasting in?

Freshroast, which I got as a gift.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shugojin posted:

the
How are you using it? I've managed to get pretty good results by taking the whole roasting chamber and chaff collector and shaking it every 30 seconds for the first minute and a half, then 30 seconds on the cool setting you get by tapping the power button.

Tried the shake method, tried the stir.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

porktree posted:

That is an issue with you and your skill set, and is in no way an indictment of home roasting. OR, you are correct, you should stop home roasting.

Yes. And, for many people, if you have a local roaster with decent prices, it's a question of whether home roasting is worth it. For me, once i found good fresh roasted locally, struggling with my many failures wasn't worth it. Watching that loving green bean that just floats by over and over without changing color, usually next to the one that is black before first crack was maddening. Would have been worth it if it was that or internet beans, probably.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Haggins posted:

That sounds good to me. Spending $500 on a grinder makes my stomach turn but I can handle sub 200. That also means I can start experimenting with all the delicious coffee available in this city sooner.

I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric kettle with temperature settings since I'm a big tea drinker as well. I always keep a gallon or two of sweet tea in the fridge and I get on a hot loose leaf kick every now and then.

If you do much tea, it's worth it for that alone. Combined with the variety of pour over coffee methods, good investment.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had to endure some pseudo science from a coffee place. "Our coffee lasts up to 9 months after it's ground!" "Our lightest roast is a french roast, but we roast at low temperatures, so it won't taste like a dark roast." After tasting her french roast, which tasted like french roast, I bought a pound because I'd been in there so long, and she tried to grind it for me. "You need to grind it so fine it's like dust. And use 1/3 as much as normal."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

This is a thread for coffee enthusiasts. If you read the discussion here, you'll see there's a reason cheap coffee machines don't get recommended. If you insist people tell you which push-button-get-coffee-drink-machine is best, go to the product recommendation thread. You wouldn't go to the fine dining thread and bitch about people not wanting to recommend the best Denny's.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bizwank posted:

I've been using Mistobox for about 6 months now and have yet to receive anything I'd rate lower then 3 stars, and have also discovered a few new coffees that blew my mind. The beans come direct from the roasters so I've never had an issue with freshness, and it's a little like Christmas morning every time the box gets dropped off because you don't know what's coming next unless you check the site.

They've delivered good coffee for me, but they're all over the place on delivery schedule. Plus, the bullshit of no option for pound bags versus 12 ounce is a real turn off. They declare confidently that 12 ounces is enough for two people for a week. Jesus.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Which Stumptown video?

Noooooo!!!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bengy81 posted:

Cuz you live at elevation and your water boils at 201.

I wish. 192 degrees here. My Bonavita just shits out crappy coffee, pour over is no answer.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rockcity posted:

Damnit, I hate you.

gently caress both of you for reminding me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nephzinho posted:

Are there any particularly good delivery roast services? Just moved and am now a good 45 minutes from the place I've been getting beans from for the past 6 years. Tempted to just go less frequently and deal with staleness at the end of the month, but may try a weekly delivery service if there are any that are really worth it.

Contrary report on mistobox. 12 ounces a week isn't enough, and they're a bit overpriced to just double it. Second, they're very unreliable on certainty of getting a shipment. Of the 20 or so weeks before I cancelled, I had no shipments at all on 6 different weeks, including one that simply never was shipped. They're responsive and apologize, but you still missed a week and have to buy elsewhere, so what's the point of a delivery service?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nephzinho posted:

Giving them a shot, will see if its something I can supplement with less frequent trips to my usual place. If there is any uncertainty in their delivery, though, I will cancel immediately.

Yeah, that's what I did. I liked the coffee, but 12 ounces a week is not enough for me, and then not getting it occasionally was a real rage inducer. They say it will arrive the same day every week, so hopefully it works for you. Good luck, give a trip report.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is no one going to mention this AMAZING NEW INVENTION!!??!?!?

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/ninja-coffee-bar-cf080/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's probably not a bad brewer of drip coffee.

But, Sofia Vergara, who not only has large breasts and a limited range of acting skills, she's from Colombia, and therefor an expert on coffee.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nephzinho posted:

Mistobox is okay. 12oz every two weeks is not nearly enough coffee, but is slightly too much (and too expensive) for one week. Think I might try out some of the goon roast next, see how those are, and consider doing the subscription there. Would be getting 24oz at the beginning of every month that way, and I could essentially supplement it with a monthly trip to my old place for a "treat" to straddle every other month. Or I could just not be lazy and suck it up and just take the 40 minute trip to the place I already know and like and abandon this pursuit of convenience.

Have they been getting it to you one time? Every other week, it wouldn't matter as much, I guess.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KirbyVanBurch posted:

I received a Ninja Coffee Bar ( http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Brewer-Thermal-Carafe-CF085Z/dp/B0160R1LEK ) recently. I want a nice drip machine for when I'm too lazy to aeropress. Is it worth keeping or should I look into exchanging for a Goon Recommended model?

It's probably fine, but unimpressive. It's got a lot of gadgetry that does a lot of nothing, so the price reflects that. if you can exchange it, I'd do that and move up to a Bonavita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mu Zeta posted:

I had no idea the Misto Box guys were funded by Mark Cuban on Shark Thank. I kind of want to try out their subscription service but I hate giving money to billionaires in coffee when there are so many other choices.

Cuban bought 30% of the company for $75k

Good coffee, eh prices.

If 12 ounces a week is enough (don't see how, I drink a pound a week myself, not counting my wife's consumption), and it doesn't matter if they slip deadlines pretty often, it's nice to experiment with different coffees. But, if you need the coffee on time, or you need a pound, they are not a good deal.