Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Can anyone in the UK recommend/find a cheap burr grinder? Any grinder under £50 here seems to be all stainless steel blade grinders or burr grinders that say they are for coffee but seem more geared towards spice grinding and only have a coarse or fine setting.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks to everyone who suggested the cheap burr grinders a few pages back, I'm probably going to settle on the Delongi KG79 as like I said before, in the UK you can only seem to get ultra cheap blade grinders or entry level grinders like this one before leaping to a the professional grade ones with barrel sized hoppers :) I gather from reviews its not the most amazing grinder but as I'm not doing espresso I assume it will suffice.

I see a lot of people in this thread praising the pour over method, presumably the only difference between this and a normal drip coffee maker is that it doesn't have the heat source underneath scorching the coffee? Does this mean if I just poured off the boil water over the coffee basket and straight into the coffee carafe would be pretty similar? (The shut off valve spring on the filter basket stopped working ages ago).

Also whats peoples opinions on filters? My coffee maker came with a nylon permanent filter, am I actually better off using paper filters rather than the permanent one?

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 2, 2011

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

e; /\/\/\ Invest in some Gaviscon.

I need moka pot advice. I got a french press a while back and stopped using my moka for a while. I opened it up today and found I had neglected to clean it. So it had been sitting with coffee grounds and moisture all sealed up for about 2 months.

There was this kind of waxy-looking growth in it. I cleaned out the top, bottom, and filter, but the piece that holds the coffee isn't easily cleaned. What's the best way to de-gunk this piece? I can't open it up to clean it.

I did the same thing, and to be honest I'd probably throw it out and get a new one, mine had some sort of nasty mould which even once scrubed and scoured clean, had slightly eaten away at the metal.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Abu-Saleh posted:

Instant, usually two packets because I drink from a thermos bottle, also a ton of creamer. I don't want to walk around a box of tums in my pocket :sigh:

Instant coffee really stirs up my acid reflux but I find drinking normal freshly ground coffee made in a regular drip coffee maker or a espresso drink from a shop has no effect on me at all. I'd say skip the instant and try proper coffee and see if it has the same effect?

Oddly enough cider has the same effect but other spirits and beer do not.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Linked earlier in this thread, a fantastic read for anyone considering a k-cup machine. Basically boils down to the advertised quality, ease of use, and environmentalism of k-cups are all lies.

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/love-keurig-nope/

I will put it in the OP.

Not disagreeing with them, but seems a bit silly to say don't use them because of waste, when that could be applied to just about everything we consume, may as well say never buy cereal unless its from a scoop your own shop and you use your own container, or only buy ground beef from a butcher wrapped in paper because of the plastic/styrofoam container.

I don't own one, but we used to have a K-Cup brewer at a place I previously worked at and for a capsule/pod machine it wasn't bad tasting at all, obviously a pod machine is never going to compare to freshly ground etc, but its hardly the devil either.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Waste is but one point, but sure, get fixated on it. It's just that it's wasteful, it's that they claim that they're environmentally sound, when they're not.

aside: and you really should do those two examples you listed as outlandish. They're not. Local grocery has some really good granolas in their bulk food section, way cheaper and healthier than most box cereal. But alas, I rarely eat cereal. Buying from a butcher is a better practice overall because you're supporting small businesses, you get their expertise, you can pick the cuts you want to go into your grind and the tailor the fat/lean.

For the same price you can have some of the consistently best coffee money can buy. That they are swindling people into buying a lovely product under false pretenses makes them the devil indeed.

Woah there cowboy, nobody is being attacked here :)

Just about every company out there claims some sort of green credentials nowadays, and they probably believe it too, not worth stressing over and the main thrust of that article was mostly at the waste aspect rather than the quality, which most people would know isn't as good as freshly ground beans.

People who buy those types of machines want them because they want a cup of coffee thats a step up from instant in 20 seconds and without having to deal with cleanup after, sure its going to be crappy compared to freshly ground and brewed but thats their choice, I don't think many people genuinely think its going to be coffee shop quality (Well maybe Starbucks :haw:) and trying to convince them otherwise is a bit fruitless and slightly smacks of snobbery.

Anyhow, to keep things light, here is a funny article about Nespresso.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Bob_McBob posted:

I've been following it since yesterday, but I'm waiting for them to post temperature and pressure curves before passing judgement. It sounds promising. Their productions schedule is extremely ambitious, though they already have a working prototype that's undergone extensive testing.

If they can provide some solid data to back up their claims, I'd seriously consider funding them at the $200 level. An innovative and capable machine at that price point would be great.

I would buy one in a instant, I'd love a small espresso machine but can't justify spending $600 on something which while lovely, at the end of the day is a beverage maker, and everyone seems to say the consumer grade machines are generally rubbish.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Just wanted to pop in and re-iterate what someone posted back on the first page of the thread, that a cheap grinder and fresh beans is still going to blow pre-ground store bought coffee out of the water.

I got a cheap burr grinder for Christmas and a bag of beans from our local roaster (Two-day if you're in the Bristol/UK area) and its like I'm drinking different coffee from when I used to have it pre-ground for me.

I enjoy espresso, but am mostly a gimme a jug of black high acidity coffee kinda guy, though now I have the grinder I shall have to dig out the old french press and see if I can figure out how coarse to get it.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

dandybrush posted:

I must be a terrible person. I'm too lazy and would rather let someone with taste and experience grind and blend my coffee. I know freshly ground coffee beats seven shades out of pre-ground in freshness and flavour, but it's just so much easier to buy 250-500g of my favourite espresso to last me until the next time I get up to visit my sister in Norwich/order from the website.

It's still better than instant...right? :ohdear:

It won't stay very fresh beyond the first couple of days, but its still better than instant, or supermarket ground coffee that was roasted and ground several months ago. Even a £10 blade grinder would really maker a difference.

Edit:

As I have asked more questions than contributed to this thread, just thought I'd add that I did my first order from Hasbean yesterday, which arrived today, just brewed up a pot of their Breakfast Bomb and even though I'm just using a normal drip machine, it came out absolutely fantastic, I think I've just found my new go to coffee for the mornings.

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 4, 2012

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

dandybrush posted:

I've got a coffee grinder attachment for an old electric whisk that might be ok to experiment with for starters. It hasn't got a large capacity but that's fine. What sort of thing should I look for in the longer term? I am an espresso addict so I would need something capable of producing a fine ground suitable for an espresso machine.

You guys really take your coffee seriously, I'm starting to rethink my need for instant/fast caffeine gratification.

From what I've read, unfortunately for a proper consistent grind for Espresso you need an expensive grinder (In the UK at least where they seem to just replace the $ with £).

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

strangemusic posted:

Not that I can afford one, but what makes the Technivorm so good as to be the only "legit" drip machine I see posted about in here?

We had one where I used to work, the top of the machine is sort of like a showerhead, lots of individual nozzles for the water to come out of, supposedly this sprays the grounds more evenly and makes for better extraction etc, that and its meant to be very accurate with its brewing temperature.

Personally I didn't find it to be particularly better than a $50 drip coffee maker, the taste difference was very slight to me.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Bit of a weird question here, but anyone else have acid reflux or something similar? If so how do you find different brewing methods affect you? I absolutely love french press, even compared to espresso, but find that more than a mugful can sometimes be a little harsh on my stomach after, presumably because more of the oils and sludge gets in your cup.

I don't have any such problems with Filter coffee, but doesn't taste quite as rich/flavourful. If anyone else is like me, how do you find the Aeropress or something like the clever coffee dripper?

Also, I know its a hard thing to quantify, but how does the taste from a Aeropress compare to a pourover, versus a french press? I used to like doing a Moka pot once in a while to make a poor mans Americano style drink, is the Aeropress similar in flavour?

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

do you feel me posted:

What is the best coffee i can order from starbucks?

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this in the thread, but the Pikes Place actually makes a really really good french press. Yes their roasted to hell and super oily, but done in a french press it really has a nice kick to it, brilliant for an afternoon when you're super tired.

I do order most of my beans from HasBean, honest!....I'll just go stand in the corner now....

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

rockcity posted:

You'd get more of a kick from a lighter roasted coffee. The most caffeine you're going to get out of coffee is a city roast done in a french press.

Nah its not so much the caffiene as just a very bold flavour with no subtley whatsoever, I didn't say it was the greatest coffee in the world, but if out of beans and waiting for more to be delivered its not a bad stop gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

My apologies if you think it's dickish but from my POV you came into the thread with words blazing, most of which was already said in the op. I didnt know why you were saying it if not to splice in what I would consider to be things I disagreed with so I replied. Anyway, yes there is room for budget stuff, but I think you should be open to criticism and not bitch about people saying something contrary to what fits your taste. This is a food sub forum on something awful, snide dickishness comes with the territory.

I think some of the posters here with very expensive setups can be unnecessarily snobbish/elitist and it puts a lot of people off. Don't get me wrong, people have been great about saying get yourself a cheap grinder and a pour over system for a cheap tasty coffee setup but as soon as espresso is mentioned it becomes bit of a circlejerk.

How many people here with very expensive machines started off with the $100 low pressure espresso machines? As long as people know what they're getting into, then I don't see the problem, and if they find they are enjoying their espresso machine then they can make the decision to start seriously investing in better equipment.

There seems to be bit of a 'You can use a aeropress or pourover, but trying to do anything else for less than $1000?....HEH' attitude in the thread, whether intended or not.