Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Death of Rats posted:

You could try either this (Delonghi KG79, £40) or this (Cuisinart Professional, £50).

I just ordered this, because it was £20 refurbished and I was convinced (wrongly) that it was a burr grinder rather than a blade grinder. (Attempting to cancel now...)

On a UK note, has anyone any suggestions for mail order coffee in small quantities (I'm the only coffee drinker in my house)?

Square Mile and Hasbean are decent roasters, have plenty of variety and they mail in 250-350g bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
Did some background research on coffee and found this fascinating sociology article on how third wave coffee purveyors (such as our goodselfs) view ourselves in terms of societal hierarchy and what is entailed in acquiring "a taste" for good coffee.

Coffee, Connoisseurship, and an Ethnomethodologically-Informed Sociology of Taste

A hilarious excerpt is the negative social repercussions from acquiring the taste (If I say ‘‘let’s get together over coffee’’ the person seems terrified that I’m going to judge them for ordering a caramel macchiato) and the innate need to inspect equipment and methods in a coffee shop (as opposed to just going to a cafe and enjoying a cup)

Definitely something I can relate too!

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

Update :siren:

Finer grind (and more consistent now with the modded mill), 50% more beans (18g for 200g of water), 4 minute extraction.

First impression - while brewing - was positive, I noticed some bubbles around the cup, something I usually saw on youtube but never had here. Definite improvement on the taste, I actually managed to drink the whole cup. Still no sign of red fruits or chocolatey impressions, though. It starts with a somewhat sweet taste but that fades very quickly, instead becoming acidic (not unpleasant) and ending with the familiar bitter aftertaste (unpleasant).

That bitter taste seemed less aggressive than before and I think I can pinpoint one of its characteristics now. It feels burned, like I'm drinking coals. I have no boiling-water-proof thermometer, but I'll try to wait a few extra minutes before starting the brew to see if it helps.

I'll keep experimenting with the Ethiopian beans, but in the meantime I'd also like to try a more noob-friendly coffee, to check 1) if maybe the beans I have are over-roasted and 2) just to try an overall less aggressive coffee. Could you guys take a look here: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ and give me a few pointers? No local roasters in my area, I'm afraid, online ones will have to do.

Good idea, I'll take a look at those.

A week from roasting should not have any detrimental effect on the coffee, it tends to stay OK up to a month or so.

I buy coffee from Hasbean all the time, and they tend to roast on the lighter side, hence there is virtually no risk of getting over-roasted beans, El Salvador La Ilusion would be first on my list to try followed by one of the Kenyan beans.

Also, do yourself a favour and get a Clever Coffee Dripper (sweetmarias/hasbean sells them). It's really a foolproof brewing device and I get fantastic results on it every time. I prefer it to the aeropress as the coffee tends to be cleaner and with a heavier body. My recipe is 18 g coffee (slightly finer than drip), 300 ml of 90 deg C water and steep for 2 min 50s. Having Square Mile's Kenya Tegu AA these days.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Bobx66 posted:

No poo poo Sherlock. Did I not use enough qualifiers to stop your spergmeter from going off?

Jackass.

Looks like someone hasn't had their cup yet

But yeah, aeropress doesn't (and can't) make espresso, mostly a pressure issue, they've been trying to correct the box advertising for years. good way to make brewed coffee, but not espresso.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

Wait, what? After reading the OP I was set on the CCD, but couldn't find it here in Europe. I just re-checked and Hasbean doesn't sell it...?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them after the holidays. Too late now and I already ordered some Brazilian beans yesterday anyway.

Sorry my bad, it's not Hasbean but Square Mile that stocks them for 20 quid.......they have good beans as well. Tell us how the Brazilian went, I tend to your avoid typical coffee countries i.e. Brazil, Colombia etc but should give them a shot really.

The Kenyan I'm having now (Tegu AA on CCD) is good but am noticing some cups are better than others, very bright but it ends on a lovely buttery, caramelized sugar note. If I do it on Aeropress, it gets a bit too strong with a cloudy look (tends to happen for Aeropress African coffee for some reason)

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

I usually don't even bother with UK shops since they almost never ship outside the country, but I can't believe I didn't try Amazon :doh: Well, thanks a lot! Just ordered one from there, as you said shipping was much cheaper. With this dripper I should be able to remove myself from the equation, at least when it comes to brewing... I can still screw up in other areas :v:

Any recommendation for filters? Are supermarket ones good enough or should I rely only on trusted brands?

Yes, the beauty of the CCD is you can set everything else (i.e. brew time, volume and coffee) on constant with the only variable being the grind size which makes it easier to adjust and get right.

Any filter brand should be OK, I use cheap, unbleached Japanese Daiso filters, just make sure they're not too thick and that you rinse them off, paper tastes nasty.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

Got my CCD :woop:

But - as expected - something went wrong. The drip started well enough but ended up very restricted, at 4 minutes it still had some coffee in it. 'Grinds are too fine' would be anyone's first guess, but take a look and tell me those are too fine:

Zoom in!

Run the Enhancement Algorithms!

If anything, (to my untrained eye) that looks too coarse.

Based on the pictures, it seems to be leaning on the coarser side, if it's fine, there'll be a formation of a smooth cap of fine grounds at the top. How did your coffee taste? Weak or strong?

I think you're overthinking it though, I usually stop after 1 min drawdown or when I see the top of the coffee bed as the flow is usually trickling by then.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
I know each brew methods have their own pros and extract different nuances from the beans yadayada but I'm gonna make this statement based on my experience:

Clever Coffee Dripper >>Aeropress

There I said it. Might be a personal preference but I'm looking for ppl who share the same sentiment. The CCD just brings out the coffee better compared to the aggressive aero.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
bit on the foamy side no?

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone have a good measure for g/mL of grounds to water for French Press? I've been eyeballing it most of the time (plus I'm not picky) but I'd like to have a jumping off point for measuring my coffee by weight instead of volume.

Go from anywhere in between 60 - 75 g/L brew ratio. I prefer the 75 g/L and grind slightly coarser. Using the ratio I usually do 25 g of coffee with approx 333 ml of water.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
Just got a brand new Mazzer Mini Doser to replace my 2 year old La Spaziale Junior 50 mm. Played with it before work this morning and got dialed in amazingly fast and pulled two OK-ish shots from my VBM Domobar Jr, reckon with some time over the weekend, some good shots are to be had.

Some annoyances: I single dose per shot pulled (18-20g) but the doser doesn't sweep as clean as the La Spaziale, with grounds clinging on to the doser floor.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
*show off your gear/extraction post*

We finally moved to our own place and my coffee gear found itself a home. It has to share the counter space with a Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer but I'm not complaining, at least we know both of them are well-built

VBM Domobar DB Jr
Mazzer Mini Doser
Rattleware Tamp/Knockbox
Salter Digital Scale
Cheap rear end $2 Kitchen Timer

Pulled this shot this morning with Black Cat, 18g, 40 secs or so, slightly over but I like it like that.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
To be honest, I'm quite confused on preinfusion, when I pull the lever up, the pump starts up and it takes about 5-6 seconds for the pressure gauge to get at 9 bars and the coffee starts coming out. Is that 5-6 second window the preinfusion stage?

If so, yes the 40s takes into account preinfusion (I start the timer once i pull the lever). Should the timer start after preinfusion? Help!

grabulasa fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 12, 2012

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
when at work, i use the Clever Coffee Dripper (18g, 300 ml water, 2:50 min wait before dropdown, 1 min dropdown). When pouring in the water, do you let it bloom for the first 30 s (ala pourover) or do you just dump all the water in?

Sometimes I let it bloom for a bit to get the CO2 out and also for the dramatics when my colleagues are around, but then I remember its a CCD and just pour all the water in.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

nm posted:

2:50 sounds a bit short.

yeah it turns out well for me too, i just play around with the grind size for different coffees. helps to keep everything except your grind size constant.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Whalley posted:

Pulling in serviceable espresso shots is pretty easy; pulling amazing ones takes so much practice

THIS. Espresso can be such a meh bitch sometimes but when she's good......

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Bobstar posted:

My question is: is there any point trying to make espresso with this machine at home, or should I sell it, leave espresso to the experts across the street, and save up for a better machine? And if so, what's the lowest-price machine I should be looking at?

What you have there in the Delonghi is a thermoblock system, which is a step lower than ure E61 double boilers HX etc.

But it would still make you a decent espresso especially if you have fresh beans ie from Monmouth and a good grinder, I'd say have a play with it and upgrade later.

Went to the Monmouth joint in Convent Garden when I was in London for a visit, I get most of my beans from Square Mile or Hasbean (prefer the former)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
Sold off my VBM DB 3 years ago and was drinking filter coffee with the Mazzer Mini after that. At that time I was in between countries and felt that espresso at home was too finicky and consumed too many beans just to dial in.

Then the last few months, I decided I missed tinkering around with machines. Also, espresso from cafes here in Calgary are a bit of hit and miss, nothing like pulling your own shots so got this new setup up and running just today.

Looking forward to rediscover the love-hate relationship that is home espresso extraction. Setup: Expobar Brewtus IV, Compak K3 Touch, Mazzer Mini (for filter)