Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comic posted:

Not sure if I'm supposed to actually ask this here or ONLY in the questions thread but whatever, coffee people will be looking here.

I see a lot of grinders with clear containers for beans- large enough to store them in. But I always thought that light was one of the things that made beans go stale faster? I never actually store my beans in there, only putting in about enough to grind, but is there something I'm missing here? Is it negligible if you use the beans fast enough (within a week) or something?

I imagine some people want to grind an assload of beans at once. They may either have an insatiable taste for coffee, be bad at coffee making (and have to brew multiple cups just to get one drinkable one) or make coffee for lots of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there somewhere I'd find a list/reviews of roasters in Omaha, NE?

I've tried a couple (Scooter's, Beansmith) but want to test out others if they're here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone familiar with the Capresso Infinity and Chemex willing to ballpark what kind of grind I should be shooting for? I started with the finest "coarse" setting, so third click from the end, and it seemed weak. The result was relatively pale/transparent and tasted like Woody Allen sounds.

I dialed it in to the second "medium" mark and it's getting stronger but now it seems a little too bitter. Is there even enough consistency between Infinities to really make such advice feasible?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

I shoot for about middle of the medium, two marks away from fine, fwiw. Double-check that the rest of your process is in line with one of the suggested brewing guides, such as this one. I aim for 4 min total brew with 205ºF water (about 30 s out of the boiler and into my gooseneck), including a ~30 s bloom and with a ratio just under 17:1.

I wonder if I'm not letting it bloom completely. I'd always thought blooming involved less water than it seems was used in that guide. I was probably leaving a good amount of the grounds dry. I assume I want to be just barely "floating" the very top of the grounds?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I kind of wonder if the basket on the Starbucks Pourover Iced Coffee maker can be used like a ghetto mug-top pourover piece. Only one little hole in the bottom though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ded posted:

I use my balls to ensure I use the proper amount of beans.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Got a CCD for my birthday, would I be safe treating it like a french press in terms of ratio/time?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Sean Connery, is that you?

Pretty sure Connery drinks tea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AnimalChin posted:

Also wanting to know this. $100 or lower.

Are conical burrs really that much better than burr wheels or discs? ~$100 for a coffee grinder is just out of this world to me when I've got a total of ~$50 for my entire setup now, including manual grinder. An electric model would be great, but drat the conical models are twice the price of the disc/wheel models.

That's because they're unequivocally and objectively better.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Google Butt posted:

You know what to do boys and girls

Does this count decaf? Or just real coffee?

My father only drinks fake coffee these days and I'm wondering if I need to expect him to take up real coffee again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

torgeaux posted:

Had to endure some pseudo science from a coffee place. "Our coffee lasts up to 9 months after it's ground!" "Our lightest roast is a french roast, but we roast at low temperatures, so it won't taste like a dark roast." After tasting her french roast, which tasted like french roast, I bought a pound because I'd been in there so long, and she tried to grind it for me. "You need to grind it so fine it's like dust. And use 1/3 as much as normal."

That sounds like some divisional fuckup left a Starbucks store fully in charge of Teavana salespeople and they just adlibbed as hard as they could.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My Hario Skerton does a great job.

Of grinding spices since I got an Infinity.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

anyone ever try coffea eugenioides?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/competition-series-finca-inmaculada-coffee-eugenioides

You want to give it a little extra time to extract but it's like no other coffee I've ever tried - there's a really nice chocolatey note that goes all the way through from nose to palate and it finishes with something almost like steamed-with-a-hint-of-scald milk. If it wasn't the equivalent of $120 per pound I'd try more stuff with it but for now I'm just kinda trying one cup at a time.

E: the beans are so tiny compared to normal coffee

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 15, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

i own every Bionicle posted:

Thanks! I’ll do my next coffee order from them and get a bag. Perhaps if interest in it grows enough we’ll see it become more available.

Edit: how do you recommend brewing? Was thinking French press or Aeropress for more control over the extraction time?

I used a clever dripper for the same reason but I had the wrong idea of how fast it'd drain so the extra minute I gave it steeping was lost in how fast it drained.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediaphage posted:

It's not a bad way to go but I would recommend you only do that if you're going to be doing it outside. Roasting coffee indoors is kind of a terrible experience; it puts out a lot of smoke and the chaff goes everywhere. Some of the best results (especially if you want to roast more than a few grams at a time) on the cheap can come from a metal bowl, some heat-proof gloves, and a good heat gun.

I roast on a table next to an open window, and have a box fan set up on the windowsill to blow air out the window, It maybe roasts 50-75g at a time but I've run a few batches in a row through it without issue.

The only downside is that if you do it while the wind is blowing back into the window you end up with a house smelling like you burnt a bag of popcorn in every room.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediaphage posted:

To me that's enough on it's own to make it a bad idea. Plus it makes me cough, others YMMV but I don't think it's a great idea regardless, honestly.

Honestly whatever you can get on sale that has variable heat settings is probably fine; preferably more than high and low but you can also modulate with distance.

fair enough, my conditions are unique enough that bad winter weather almost never involves wind blowing back into the windows, but it's situational enough that it's probably good to not roast inside if you can help it.

It's just that roasting outside in a blizzard/sub-freezing temperatures are awful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

I am a goddamn idiot and dumped beans into the water reservoir of by Bonavita drip brewer instead of my grinder. A single bean made its journey down the tube into the reservoir like it was destroying the Death Star and now I think I’ll have to buy a new coffee machine since there’s no way to get it out. Please learn from my mistake and always have enough reserved coffee on hand in the fridge to wake yourself up enough to make real coffee.

Should I get the update to this same brewer, the Connoisseur?

Have you considered tipping it upside down? If yours is the 1800 (square, 1 button) or 1900 (round, 1 button) model you should be able to pull the top off, remove the showerhead, and probably give it a good flip-and-rattle until the offending bean is either dispensed via the showerhead outlet or comes out the intake same as it went in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

Interesting.... I looked at these several years ago but I think I remember that the KBT was just a little too tall to fit under my counter. I just have missed the CDT at the time, which would just fit.

I don’t know what the internals of the heater tank look like, but the bean fell through from the upper reservoir down to the lower heater tank. I guess in theory I could try shooting air into the inlet to see if I can jettison the bean through the column where the steam would go...

Yeah, it’s a 1900 model—unfortunately that’s been my evening activity and it’s been a no-go so far. This is like playing a lovely carnival game where if I win I break even.

To top it all off the package containing my weekly bag of Verve was stolen off my front porch this week. Everything’s coming up coffee!

If I had to guess, the vertical tube outlet that runs up the middle of the cold water tank might be what's holding the tank to the frame/boiler and you might be able to twist it to release and lift off the tank.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 8, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Veskit posted:

My zojirushi officially shitted out. Will I see much of a difference between it and a bonavita performance wise? All I care about is taste and a not lovely carafe

the bonavita 1900 series are very consistent, that consistency in water temperature/pour speed allow for you to dial in great taste via grind and dosage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm fond of my OXO Brew kettle if you're open to alternatives. Little less chunky than the Bonavita - I suspect the heat retention over time isn't as good, but how often do you leave water sit in the kettle after you brew?

Personally I drink the whole pot over ice within 30 or so minutes but nowadays that's more like 45-50 since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gunder posted:

How much coffee do you guys typically consume? I try and stick to two servings a day, whether it's an espresso or a pour-over. That way, I shouldn't be over the safe daily limit for caffeine.

It used to be 1.3 L coffee and 8 shots of espresso every morning but now I don't drive to work on account of covid so it's just the 1.3L of coffee.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mix my grounds in with birdseed and let the shits fall where they may

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gently caress it I bought a nespresso

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah with affogato it doesn't really matter how lovely your shots are unless they're like loaded with leftover purocaff or something

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The spritz or water is pretty incredible and definitely worth it. I need a spray bottle because I may have dumped a pitcher of water into the bean hopper in a sleepy state a few times. It went from a nice single origin to a Nespresso morning

I've dumped beans into the water reservoir of my bonavita once. I then started dumping water in after my coffee, so it was full every morning.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't think OP was making it sound, I had started it by listing all the little steps that sometimes annoy me when making coffee.

This is a weird but interesting product. A bit of a solution to an unasked question. I can imagine that becoming something that some young hip yuppie crowd would like in bars, but I'm struggling to see the case for it at home. If you're a coffee nerd, you'll probably making very good coffee already at home. I don't know if normies would wanna buy and keep frozen coffee pods. Because they need to be diluted I don't see them being a popular base for iced coffee or desserts, either. So what's up with this, do you know how their target demographic and use case looks like?

Brewcero

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mu Zeta posted:

:yum:

has science gone too far

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Every non-dairy substitute has tasted like pipe tobacco in coffee to me, and I'm pretty sure it's because a ton of them are still adding a touch of vanilla flavor despite being labeled as unflavored.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

is bripe just another name for a unicycle or is this something I missed earlier

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

if this is brong i dont wanna be bripe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Nerve posted:

"Officer I swear all those empty butane canisters in the back are for my bripe and not crack."

Son, pease step out of the car.

"It's just coffee bro!"

uh huh, what's this for then *unrolls plastic bag containing grounds and a bripe*

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediaphage posted:

what? i honestly can’t tell if this is a troll

no, do not spend six hundred dollars on a nespresso especially when op explicitly talked about getting into cool beans and better home coffee

please disregard the above post

you can buy reusable thingies for the nespresso so you can use your own beans, then it's just a matter of dialing in the grind because the rest will be robotically consistent.

While I still buy capsules from nestle because some days I don't feel like going through the rigamarole, it delivers a lovely cup of coffee if you're willing to meet it halfway with the grind. They're also less than $200, the reusable capsules are like $25 a piece, and that's 375 you can spend on a good grinder!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

El Jebus posted:

On the other hand, gently caress Nestle.

fwiw nestle sends capsules that have grounds like 3 months old so not only are they bond villains their coffee is mediocre at absolute best.

Use a reusable capsule and a third party machine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correction,

I unplugged the machine and tried rotating it around over the sink and oil black stuff came out of it. After it stopped coming out I wiped it down and plugged it back in and it turned on and started pumping for about 5 seconds then cut power and the magic smoke came out of it.

oof, that sounds like it seized the motor or something given the weight of the reusable pods (if you're using the steel ones), you might be able to get it replaced by the manufacturer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KillHour posted:

But can your bripe run doom?

Sure but can it run crysis

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KinkyJohn posted:

So what do you guys do with your tons and tons of leftover coffee grounds?

compost em

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This looks like a hipster version of the bripe. Besides the man behind Bripe looks like someone who has a lot of thoughts about the magical properties of jizz

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BrianBoitano posted:

So you make coffee on the block chain?

it generates way less heat this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

obi_ant posted:

Nespresso still does this with their Vertuo line.

Which is really disorienting when I throw one of these in there

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084QB9W2R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_PHSCTKXZWR5YMDY1E7DT?psc=1