Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

obi_ant posted:

Does that thing work? I could've sworn in one of Hoffman's videos he says that they don't because of the barcode on the lip.

I've been using it for months and the only problem I have is that it sometimes gets kinda suction-sealed into the little receptacle and needs a slightly uncomfortable amount of force (i.e. worried I'll break the plastic machine) to pull out, I assume the barcode is more about telling the machine how to properly extract the coffee inside the OEM pods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah that's why I got a mypressi and probably also why they went under

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

other people posted:

My wonderful child just dropped our porlex hand grinder and the ceramic burrs shattered.

dang kid's a real stickler for optimal extraction huh

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

y'all talking about pourovers during passover

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theHUNGERian posted:

For a camping trip where space so limited that instant coffee is the only option, what are people's recommendations?

if you really wanna piss off anyone who walks by after suffering through a lovely cup of sbux via there's this https://dripkit.coffee/collections/coffee/products/dripkit-variety-pack

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.modest.coffee/product/fire-sale/

apparently these folks got hosed up real bad by a distributor fuckup and are selling coffee cheap: https://www.modest.coffee/2022/12/how-we-got-grifted/

Downside here is that while "$6 a bag" sounds great it was roasted in June/July.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vegetable posted:

I’m glad they managed to move most of their coffee. But assuming their story is accurate… they are real bad at business.

They signed contracts that left them with most of the risk. They didn’t clarify the unit of the order (wouldn’t this have been immediately apparent based on unit price?). They borrowed to ramp up when they realized it was 36k bags instead of 6k bags, rather than push back and underdeliver.

They were in over their heads every step of the way.

Oh definitely, I think folks just break disbelief over their knee when they feel like they're 'living the dream' lest they be owned by persons unknown/unseen for failing. Single player con game. Can't really fault em too hard because it's such a common and ad-driven thing.

My local roaster is selling bags of 10 day fermented gesha, that coffee money's already spoken for but thought I'd pass the sale along in case anyone needed (idk) a huge box of stuff that's probably fine for like an overnight cold brew.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThirstyBuck posted:

Where’s a good place to pick up used espresso machines? eBay ? Homebarista? FB marketplace is a hell scape dumpster fire.

liquidator auctions lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clark Nova posted:

whoever came up with the clever coffee dripper may have done worse lol

what's wrong with the clever? The design makes it a little less than ideal to clean but there's worse out there, I like mine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it dont matter posted:

Yeah the design is neat but it looks like it just pisses water right down the middle.

James Hoffman reviewed a fancy automated pourover brewer a little while back that had a mechanism which distributed water over the coffee like you would when doing it manually. Though still seemed massively overcomplicated and expensive compared to a v60 cone.

if you're at a point where your next variable to take off the table is 'the pattern in which the water sprinkles into the grounds' then I think you're going to be prepared for a lot of mechanical complexity and expense.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VelociBacon posted:

Yes but also just pouring the water into the center of the bed of coffee is going to really messit up in a way that makes the entire machine pointless.

oh for sure that's a gigantic waste of money, I ain't gonna claim spend means smart lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s the going rate for a bag of beans from y’alls roaster of choice? This afternoon the baristas at my local place were discussing the owner’s most recent price change that took their cheap blend bag from $16 to $18.50, or the old price for their better single origin bags.

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/archetype-home-blend

18 for the blended but the single origins are all over but mostly 20-25

E: I mainly prefer it because it's close enough to walk to in the morning

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 19, 2024

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ulvir posted:

does the clever require a strange/unusual diameter? one of my favourite jugs for solo drinking is slightly wider than a 250ml cup, and I think tall enough for at least 300 if not more.

as long as the outer diameter of your mug is smaller than 4 inches (~101.2 mm) you're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

George H.W. oval office posted:

Enjoying coffee right now is probably what it was like for our grandparents experiencing the natural wonders of the world before they completely disappeared and I gotta that that's pretty cool. Shame that our grandchildren won't be able to experience it like we did.

And if they develop robusto beans to be even more delicately flavorful than anything arabica is capable of they will be pushing the envelope in ways we cannot