Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I work in a kitchen supply store. We sell Chemex, Aeropress, various french presses, mokapots, and Capresso automatic drips that seem to always break. Last night, I had a man ask for a unique coffee maker. I offered him the Aeropress, and told him one of the cons was the clean up. He scolded me and told me that "One should never clean any coffee maker! It builds a patina! Never tell your customers to clean theirs again!"

Is this a thing? I have heard of never washing tea mugs, but never cleaning your coffee maker?

Are you saying that an Aeropress is hard to clean? :psyduck: I find it to be much easier than cleaning a french press, and just as easy as cleaning a Clever coffee dripper. Though he is crazy about wanting a patina on it.

Hey, does anyone have a recommendation for a good hot water kettle that lets you control the temperature? I'm looking at this Cuisinart model and was wondering if anyone had a better idea. I'd like to keep it at or below $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I just ordered one, and I'm going to be very annoyed if it arrives looking like that.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

kirtar posted:

I just wasn't sure if tea kettles would heat to a proper temperature. Looks like I need to put in an Amazon order :cheers:

If you're willing to spend the money, I've been using this Cuisinart electric kettle for over a month now and it works great. The "French Press" setting heats the water to 200 degrees, which is perfect. As a bonus it also has settings for various kinds of tea.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

hotsauce posted:

So my Rancillo Silvia (brand new from Seattle Coffee Gear) only registers 182 degrees at its hottest point when dispensing water. I've tried steam and hot water delivery ... same thing. If I "temp surf" by waiting 30 seconds after the book light goes out the water comes out at 164 degrees.

Does this sound right? I'm measuring with a thermapen and its dead on accurate.

Wait, so the steam wand only dispenses water at 182 degrees? That sounds like a big problem.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is one reason why it's great to have a large stock of green coffee and a roaster.

It's great to have that, but sadly it does you little good on that lazy morning when you didn't roast a batch the night before.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Starks posted:

So I just got a batch of guatemalan coffee from my local roaster and it says on the bag that the roast date was yesterday (When I bought it). However when I make it using my normal french press method there is almost no bloom, and this is freshly ground like a minute before making it. Is this normal sometimes or did I get ripped off by a fake roasting date? Could it be something wrong with the way I'm making it?

E: I should also mention that it tastes fine to me, but I rarely drink south american coffee and never this specific type so I'm not sure I'd be able to tell it was stale in any case.

From my experience with stuff I've roasted, anything that's 1-2 days old will have a LOT of bloom. I don't know what's up with your roaster, but it sounds like your beans are 2+ weeks old.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

llibja posted:

Looks like they recently added some Maestro Plus refurbs, I was just able to add one to my cart - https://www.baratzallc.com/products-page/products/maestro-plus/

Too bad I'm a bit strapped for cash right now else this would be on it's way to me.

Already gone. It was probably just nm's grinder. :)

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

dhrusis posted:

I just jumped in head first to the world of coffee roasting. Bought an air popper after watching tons of youtube videos on it and reading about it on sweetmarias forums. Looking very forward to it.. Thanks thread!

I think I want to roast some ethiopian beans.. does anyone have any recommendations? Since this is my first roasting experience, I really don't know what to expect. Are there any "starter" beans that may be a good idea?

You've been on sweetmarias but you're not getting a sampler pack? Shame on you. :colbert:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

dhrusis posted:

This is exactly what I need. Amazing. Thanks!

Quick question.. are green beans subject to the same stringent freshness guidelines that roasted beans are? I'm thinking of buying some green local while I wait for sweet marias but I don't know how fresh they are.

It's my understanding that green beans can keep for a very long time, something like 6 months or so.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVYe-TE2eU&feature=player_embedded

:stare: This is probably so much money for such bad coffee, oh well you buy these kinds of things for convenience not quality.

What's the point in having iPhone control if you still have to be right next to it in order to put your glass in place? You might as well just use the embedded controls.

This video was posted before but it's good to see again for how dumb and decadent it is.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maxwell House sells coffee?

At a certain point in the past, it was coffee.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Edit: nevermind I am wrong.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2012

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

that Vai sound posted:

Since a pot of coffee is supposed to go bad quickly, why would a thermos work better? I'm genuinely curious because I'm going to give it a try for work. I might have a 35-45 minute wait from brewing to drinking.

A pot of coffee goes bad quickly when it's sitting on a hot plate the whole time. If you pour it into a thermos, or brew directly into an insulated carafe, it will stay good for a lot longer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I also would have thrown it out.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

Question for anybody here. From a coffee flavor standpoint, is it even a good idea to keep water at the ready at 208F for hours even if the equipment was up to it? All the coffee and tea shops have a boiler keeping their water hot, but that doesn't mean it can't negatively affect the flavor.

I doubt that keeping the water under a boil is going to negatively affect it. That's only a concern if you're keeping water at a boil, or re-boiling it multiple times.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

For decoration, or do you hate yourself enough to actually use it?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno about Krillin, but for my glasses I only get one of any type of each glass, so every single glass in my cupboard is unique and that gives me a little leeway to have a few intentionally stupid glasses in there

I'll admit it does look unique, but to use it you'd want to only fill it like 3/4 full so you don't make a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

indyrenegade posted:

My hierarchy of Bad Coffee is as follows

McDonalds is dirt water
Tim Hortons is 50/50
Dunkins is just waterier dirt water

So Dunkins is underextracted dirt water.