Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeLynx posted:

My Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme came in today! Super excited to try it tomorrow, it smells amazing.

One of my all-time favourite blends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dumb question, but humor me. When preparing tea gong fu style, the leaves are steeped for let’s say fifteen seconds, then cups are poured. Now, we next want to sample the tea at thirty seconds. We would add more hot water to the gaiwan and wait an additional fifteen seconds, yes? Not thirty.

I'm not sure what you mean by sample the tea at thirty seconds. One 30 second steep and two 15 second steeps will be three different cups of tea.

In general with gong fu style brewing you start with either a rinse or a longish steep of maybe 45-60 seconds, then a very short steep of something like 10 seconds, then lengthen the time with each further steeping of the leaves. You tend to increase the increase of time between steeps with each additional one. Maybe something like 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 120, ... or whatever exactly. There's no subtracting of times involved, you just lengthen the time for each steep, with the possible exception of the first one depending on how you prefer to go about the task of initially hydrating the leaves.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

breaks posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by sample the tea at thirty seconds. One 30 second steep and two 15 second steeps will be three different cups of tea.

In general with gong fu style brewing you start with either a rinse or a longish steep of maybe 45-60 seconds, then a very short steep of something like 10 seconds, then lengthen the time with each further steeping of the leaves. You tend to increase the increase of time between steeps with each additional one. Maybe something like 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 120, ... or whatever exactly. There's no subtracting of times involved, you just lengthen the time for each steep, with the possible exception of the first one depending on how you prefer to go about the task of initially hydrating the leaves.

So, what I’m saying is:

Going by your example. You would steep for one minute. Then pour the contents of the gaiwan into cups or other vessels such that the tea is no longer suspended in water. You’d drink and enjoy at your leisure.

Then you add more water to the gaiwan.

You would then be pouring your next cup fifteen seconds later, yes? Not a minute and fifteen seconds later.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yes, the brewing time you read everywhere are literal, total amount of seconds for each steep, not added seconds. you don’t go from 10s to suddenly 22s. the difference between 10 and 12 (2) is what you add on

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for companies which deliver tea in France? I was going to just use Palais des Thés as I've had decent ones from them in cafes, but their prices and delivery both seem a bit high.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
, surely?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabant posted:

, surely?

Good idea, they're even more expensive though (7.5eur for shipping) and have tried to trademark Oolong (Thé Bleu™)!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Received a shipment form yixing today. Can’t wait to try it!

A note for anyone ordering stuff from China these days. DHL is still very fast, EMS takes forever. Received this pot in 4(!) days, been waiting close to 6 weeks on some new teacups that were handed in in Shanghai, and they’re still not here...

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

tell me about it, i ordered a tea early march, and it arrived last week

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Received a shipment form yixing today. Can’t wait to try it!

A note for anyone ordering stuff from China these days. DHL is still very fast, EMS takes forever. Received this pot in 4(!) days, been waiting close to 6 weeks on some new teacups that were handed in in Shanghai, and they’re still not here...

Is that a bathing monkey on top of the lid?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Heath posted:

Is that a bathing monkey on top of the lid?

Heh, that's what my partner said too (and I agree). It's supposed to be a lion holding a ball though. Going to steep some tieluoan or the last of some really tasty jinxuan I have left in it after work to break it in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

One of my all-time favourite blends!

Tried it twice today and I don't taste much difference between their regular Earl Grey. Maybe a little smoother and a little less bitter, but that could be because my last few cups of the Earl Grey were down to the bottom of the container so a lot of the pieces were escaping the strainer. Luckily their regular Earl Grey is amazing so don't take it as a negative comparison, I was just expecting a different taste. I don't know what though.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

You guys ever just throw some leaves in a bowl?

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 29, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

You guys ever just throw some leaves in a bowl?

Your videos didn't link right.

And I have some thick clear pint glasses that I do that with sometimes when I'm in the mood to drink a lot of longjing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The name for that is "grandpa style."

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Heath posted:

Sure, but I more associate grandpa style with drinking tea on the move or doing something else while drinking. Do you ever just make bowl tea and watch it? Everyone should have a porcelain spoon to smell, imo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Heath posted:

Yes, yes it is. I figure why not start being lazy early. I also don't really get to sit down like that most of the time.

Also, it works so very well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sure, but I more associate grandpa style with drinking tea on the move or doing something else while drinking. Do you ever just make bowl tea and watch it? Everyone should have a porcelain spoon to smell, imo.

Once in a great while I'll get one of those blooming teas as gifts for people for that purpose

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sometimes I just throw some leaves in a mug and try not to drink them. :shrug:

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Greetings tea friends. I am jumping back in the thread after a 10 year hiatus lol. I now have my own online tea shop and mostly interact with the tea community via Instagram. I'm an expat living in Taiwan. I dabble in puer, white, red, Taiwanese oolong and rock tea. That is to say, all Chinese styles besides green. Not bc I dislike green tea, but that's just the nature of my connections right now. My main interest is anything gushu, meaning Yunnan's ancient trees. I have regularly lurked the forums for the last 15 years, sadly I'm not much of a poster. I'm not here to pimp my own tea, just giving some context. If anyone has any questions I'm here to share what I've learned.

As a conversation starter, what's your stance on water? I used to use filtered tap water for tea, but our water is WAY too hard for that, so I started making my own mineral water. I got the idea from the /tea subreddit, but it's apparently much more common in the competition barista scene. It's just RO water from a vending machine + a concentrate I made from precisely weighed baking soda, epsom salt, and RO water. All the yummy benefits of using mineral water, without all the plastic bottles. And it's tweakable.

I was just thinking of trying this, do you have a recipe for ratio of salt and baking soda to use?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hell yeah. Tie Guan Yin? Or something else?

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Booyah- posted:

I was just thinking of trying this, do you have a recipe for ratio of salt and baking soda to use?

https://www.reddit.com/r/puer/comments/cifo68/my_water_recipe_for_tea_a_solid_starting_point/

I follow this recipe. Also that r/tea redditor that made the post is actively refining it so if you want to share your results with them it would probably be appreciated. I think the main thing for tea is the amount of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) you use. It's more debatable what effect the baking soda (lowers pH) has.

Heath posted:

Hell yeah. Tie Guan Yin? Or something else?

Nah, I like my TGY much more roasted than that :cool: Tis a Fushoushan high mountain oolong - the Dongpian (late winter) harvest has brought out a super refreshing sour note.

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 1, 2020

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I got tea! Tea for me!

I've only been enjoying tea for a couple of years and have only had stuff I can find in the grocery store, with Salada brand white tea being my favorite. Then I discovered this thread! And I ordered my first batch of real tea from Adagio!

Silver Needle White, a freebie of White blueberry, a honeybush sample, 8 year old fermented pu-erh (ordered from Amazon), some sugar crystals, and a sample of matcha. In the middle there is a freebie for my astrological sign which is a blend of:
black tea, rooibos, mango pieces, red safflower, chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, mango vanilla and chocolate flavors.

I'm so excited and I don't which to try first! Also arriving in the next few days are a matcha whisk set and a :3: diffuser in the shape of a sloth. I will probably also get a tea knife for the pu-erh cake.

Did I do ok??

e: drinking some pu-erh right now and I really like it though it isn't as strong as I expected. the finish is really interesting.

e2: the white tea isn't nearly as flavorful as I thought it would be. maybe I didn't use enough because the water barely changed color. I couldn't really fit the recommended 2tsp in my little ball infuser though

the white tea really grew on me as I finished the cup. The mouth feel is great.

omg the honeybush is delicious. i'm drinking so much tea ya'll

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 1, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there any superior quality that comes from the traditional bamboo whisk for matcha that i wouldn't get just keeping steady with a handwhisk?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A metal whisk might scratch the poo poo out of your bowl, if that matters to you. Otherwise in my experience the bamboo whisk with its open tines does a better job of breaking up the bubbles than a metal whisk with closed tines does.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
The spacing of the tines matters too. I’ve tried making matcha with a hand whisk, and I couldn’t get the tea dust to suspend without going at it long enough to make my hand ache. One of those $5 electric latte frothers from Ikea would probably do a better job than a standard whisk

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's true about the bowl thing but i've mostly been using generic cups and mugs for my matcha since i don't have expensive stuff to put it in, but what i've been doing is priming the matcha with a little bit of water and mixing it up with a spoon or something to get it pasty then adding in the rest of the water. by handwhisk i meant one of those handpowered rotating ones that i've removed one whisk off of so it fits perfectly in the cups i use. i can get a pretty uniform solution but sometimes if i go too hard it does get really frothy and i don't know if it's just me imagining but that makes it taste a bit fishy. course i'm also not using the utmost highest quality matcha for this in line with everything else, but was wondering if there's just something elevated by managing to solute the matcha without frothing it too hard

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgbqUv59l9A

I've been watching this guy's videos a lot while in quarantine and he does a comparison video between a traditional whisk in a bowl and one of the open tine electric latte whisks you can get in a mug.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

I got tea! Tea for me!

I've only been enjoying tea for a couple of years and have only had stuff I can find in the grocery store, with Salada brand white tea being my favorite. Then I discovered this thread! And I ordered my first batch of real tea from Adagio!

Silver Needle White, a freebie of White blueberry, a honeybush sample, 8 year old fermented pu-erh (ordered from Amazon), some sugar crystals, and a sample of matcha. In the middle there is a freebie for my astrological sign which is a blend of:
black tea, rooibos, mango pieces, red safflower, chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, mango vanilla and chocolate flavors.

I'm so excited and I don't which to try first! Also arriving in the next few days are a matcha whisk set and a :3: diffuser in the shape of a sloth. I will probably also get a tea knife for the pu-erh cake.

Did I do ok??

e: drinking some pu-erh right now and I really like it though it isn't as strong as I expected. the finish is really interesting.

e2: the white tea isn't nearly as flavorful as I thought it would be. maybe I didn't use enough because the water barely changed color. I couldn't really fit the recommended 2tsp in my little ball infuser though

That's a great first batch! You're right, honeybush is awesome.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

I got tea! Tea for me!

Did I do ok??

I love me some honey bush. I just wish it was caffeinated.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

i made the perhaps unwise decision to order from white2tea in the middle of the pandemic, so my tea's been in limbo in guangzhou for about three weeks now. i was running low on good tea and decided, gently caress it, i'll order something else from yunnan sourcing's US store. my package included these little cups, some yi wu mountain wild arbor assamica, an old arbor "mu shu hong" yunnan assamica, some cape jasmine taiwanese oolong, and yunnan yellow tea.

today i had the oolong, using my old gaiwan and the new cups. started with a wash, did a 10 second steep, and then increased every next steep by 10 more seconds. lovely stuff. the jasmine smell is intense when it's dry, but it's not as overpowering as i expected in the tea proper.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
TeaVivre is... taking a minute:

But then again, the apocalypse.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Trabant posted:

my current plan is to stop checking 17track, eventually forget i ordered tea in the first place, and be pleasantly surprised when my package finally shows up in june/july

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Trabant posted:

I've had a package sitting on a dock somewhere in NYC since April 26th that hasn't moved since then. It's unfortunate but it'll be a nice little surprise whenever it actually shows up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have discovered that you can add some salt to spent gyokuro leaves and just straight eat them and they are amazingly good

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Heath posted:

I have discovered that you can add some salt to spent gyokuro leaves and just straight eat them and they are amazingly good

it's great, isn't it? i was at this place in hakodate where you'd order gyokuro as tea and they'd give it to you to eat at the end with soy sauce, rice vinegar, etc at the end.

i'm not sure if you can do this with other greens, which is a bummer because i don't have any gyokuro. i need to look more into cooking with tea in general, tbh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am intending to put some over sushi rice at some point. I wish I could get some sushi grade salmon to go with it, but alas, I am landlocked and I don't think I could conceivably eat enough raw salmon before it goes bad

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If you’re getting raw sushi grade salmon in a landlocked state just see if you can get it frozen. It’s only a problem if it’s been thawed and frozen again.

That does sound delicious and I’ve been wanting to try doing some cooking with tea leaves, but mostly it’s smoke related stuff so far. I don’t know if I can get fresh tea leaves anywhere though, so that limits it a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's a favorite matcha powder that can be found either cheaply online or has a high chance of being found at an Asian market?

I'm planning on stopping at a local Asian market I like to get some gochujang and gochugaru and want to pick some matcha up, too.