Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Just fyi, hojicha is definitely caffeinated, it just has less caffeine than sencha and other green tea (which has less than red tea which has... etc)

The general numbers I've read average around half the caffeine compared to sencha.

the levels are low enough that they’re in the decaf range though, so while not completely free, it’s still low enough to be an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's been too long since I've had some oolong

So I'm drinking some now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

isaboo posted:

It's been too long since I've had some oolong

You should fix that

quote:

So I'm drinking some now

Good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oolongs are great, it’s usually my go-to when I crave something else than puerh

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
All teas other than Yunnan blacks are like, ok, but not what I want.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yunnan black tea is excellent, good choice.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hey tea nerds, I'm thinking about buying a gaiwan. Any tips on what to look for? I'll likely buy it local from one of the many tea shops in the Seattle area.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Play with them a lot. Make sure the lid can slide when you need it to and stay in place when you need it to. Make sure it's good in the hand. Nothing is worse than a cheap feeling gaiwan

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Last year I bought a bunch of oolong samples from Taiwan Sourcing and Eco-Cha. None of them really did much for me. They were nice, but only one stood out as exceptional. Another one was absolute garbage and got tossed. The others I just mixed together in the same old tin because they were more or less the same tea to my unrefined palate, and that is what I had today. It was quite nice for a change of pace.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

plester1 posted:

Hey tea nerds, I'm thinking about buying a gaiwan. Any tips on what to look for? I'll likely buy it local from one of the many tea shops in the Seattle area.

I swear I’ve seen them at the Asian Family Market on Aurora. I have to go over this week to restock and I can take a look. I think they’re up by the checkouts. I wouldn’t be surprised if Uwajimaya had tea stuff too in their gift section.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Heath posted:

Play with them a lot. Make sure the lid can slide when you need it to and stay in place when you need it to. Make sure it's good in the hand. Nothing is worse than a cheap feeling gaiwan
That's a fair point. If the lid is too big or not round enough it could be an issue. But most imperfections are totally fine. And I really like cheap gaiwans. The factory stuff that you can find for $20 is my jam.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

plester1 posted:

Check out Perennial. I'm going to be in the area and also there as well next week!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

That's a fair point. If the lid is too big or not round enough it could be an issue. But most imperfections are totally fine. And I really like cheap gaiwans. The factory stuff that you can find for $20 is my jam.

I don't mean monetarily cheap, I mean a gaiwan that you don't feel like you can trust in your hand. One that feels thin or like the lid is gonna just give way when you're pouring and dump everywhere. You should be able to pour without apprehension.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've been getting into pu ehr teas lately, and I'm having a lot of trouble breaking chunks off of the larger bricks without just turning it to dust. Is there a trick to doing it with the tools I have at home? If I need a dedicated Pu Ehr pick, is there a good place to buy one from? I got the tea itself from Yunnan Sourcing but they're sold out of all their picks.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a diamond-shaped pick such as this one is pretty great, if you live in america they also have it in their seattle inventory

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Depends a lot on the brick. I have had bricks where you have to use the pick like an ice-pick and dust is the best you can hope for. I feel like shu is worse than sheng and weird shapes like mushrooms worse than bings, but my dataset is not enormous.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Picks are pretty much mandatory. I hate telling people to buy more stuff, but if you buy pressed tea you really need one. I approach every cake/ brick with two goals: minimize the amount of leaf breakage and don't stab myself. Taking your time and finessing the chunks off such that you keep as many leaves intact as possible will lead to a better brew.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I used a flathead electronics screw driver for three years out of pure cheapskatedness, but when I finally caved and got a proper pick it became a whole lot more enjoyable. less dust everywhere, and also less injuries from trying to pry apart iron cakes

it’s very easy to assume every little extra thing is completely useless, certain things like wooden gongfu tongs and tea pets absolutely are, but a proper pick is almost a necessity with puerh, just from how functional it is compared to the macguyver solutions

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 25, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Perfect, thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered a pick, I'll hold off on the bricks until it arrives.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my replacement ruyao pot from teaware.house arrived today and the outer surface on this compared to the older one that broke (ca 2017) is a lot less polished and smooth. I quite like it, I think. the texture is nice to the touch, almost like a yixing pot, even though it clearly is glazed. excited to see how it is to use

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

ulvir posted:

it’s very easy to assume every little extra thing is completely useless, certain things like wooden gongfu tongs and tea pets absolutely are, but a proper pick is almost a necessity with puerh, just from how functional it is compared to the macguyver solutions
There are for sure lots of useless things to buy. But I actually love the tongs (wood or the steel tweezer kind) when guests come and I boil-rinse the teacups

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Everything has some kind of purpose, like the tea pets are useful to help direct people to pour out rinses or to just have a drinking buddy when solo

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I found a standard white porcelain gaiwan (at Miro Tea in Seattle) and I already love it for how easy it is to resteep for an extended sesh. Still learning not to burn myself or spill everywhere.

I consider using tea pets a good ritual in the same vein as pouring one out for the homies when drinking a forty in the street.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At a Chinese restaurant (Tofu Vegan in London, highly recommended) they served some really nice tea on the menu as Traditional Tea. I asked and they said it was jasmine tea, it had a super mild floral flavour though and definitely an oolong base. Any recommendations for a specific brand that might be similar and is available in the EU? I don't drink much jasmine tea as it tends to be overly floral.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

distortion park posted:

At a Chinese restaurant (Tofu Vegan in London, highly recommended) they served some really nice tea on the menu as Traditional Tea. I asked and they said it was jasmine tea, it had a super mild floral flavour though and definitely an oolong base. Any recommendations for a specific brand that might be similar and is available in the EU? I don't drink much jasmine tea as it tends to be overly floral.

I ended up with a bunch of this jasmine oolong from Tevivre, and it’s nice and mild just like that https://www.teavivre.com/jamine-oolong-tea.html

I don’t normally like jasmine tea because it’s too floral, but I like this one because it’s perfectly balanced and you can still taste the oolong underneath it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jasmine oolong is really the only floral tea I not only can tolerate in large quantities but actually enjoy. Usually it tends to be flavored with oils rather than having actual jasmine in it, which results in a much stronger initial flavor but washes away quickly. Tea flavored with actual jasmine tends to be milder but the floral scent persists.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I used to really enjoy rooibos with orange, drinking it almost exclusively before getting into tea properly. ripe puerh with orange peel or sticky rice herb is also pretty great

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Mixed some hojicha with lapsang suchong. Tastes kind of like com chay.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Does anyone know of any good electric tea makers? Something like adagio’s velocitea but more adjustable

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just get a regular electric kettle with adjustable temperature to boil/heat the water. as long as the lowest step is 80, it’s reasonably versatile enough for all kinds of teas, and you won’t :retrogames:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ulvir posted:

just get a regular electric kettle with adjustable temperature to boil/heat the water. as long as the lowest step is 80, it’s reasonably versatile enough for all kinds of teas, and you won’t :retrogames:

Yeah. I got an electric kettle with settings for basically all the sorts of teas I'd want to make, for like....I think $30. It's also my Cup Noodle water dispenser.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get a Zojirushi water warmer.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Is the Stagg worth it? Looks cool, and I'd like something small to fit in the cupboard. Local place has them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Planet X posted:

Is the Stagg worth it? Looks cool, and I'd like something small to fit in the cupboard. Local place has them.

I have the stovetop Corvo and I quite like it. It has the larger pour spout and I think it's overall much better for tea. Goosenecks are more for pour-over coffee.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Planet X posted:

it has such a slow flow rate that it will just be infuriating to use for anything other than coffee. if you also brew coffee and like that style of kettle, brewista, bonavita and hario also pours fast enough for other things, but they’re overall more expensive than regular kettles (I recently bought Hario’s with a temperature control and it was almost twice the price of my old one)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I returned a Stagg EKG because the flow rate was so low. I hear the Hario with temp control is much better but I have not bought one; if you already have coffee brewing equipment or only brew coffee for parties it's somewhat unjustifiable as an expense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have both a Stagg and a more generic variable-temperature kettle like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758BZKQN/

The Stagg looks really nice on the counter and that’s why I’m keeping it around. But the Hamilton Beach pours way faster and the presets are quicker to use than the Stagg’s scroll
wheel. For tea, you don’t need precise control imo and a gooseneck is a little overkill.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks for the input. I did a little more homework, and am moving away from the Stagg. I don't do pourover coffee at all. Work has a Cosori, which has the convenient push button temp on the base which I really like. As mentioned, most of us don't need to-the-degree precision.

What I like about the Cosori and the Stagg is that they're smaller. The Hamilton Beach one below looks great for my purposes, but I don't know if I need or have room for a nearly 2 liter kettle. I'll poke around a little bit. My use case here is that (probably like others here) I drink different varieties of tea from time to time during the day and having to pull the kettle off the stove to use a thermapen for getting temps right is getting a little time consuming, especially when hopping from meeting to meeting.

I want a smaller one not only because it's usually just me drinking tea, but that I have pull out drawers in my kitchen cabinets with electrical built in. I want to be able to roll the drawer out, hit a button, make tea and roll it back. Therefore, countertop aesthetics don't really matter as much to me. I was looking at the Stagg simply because the (local, pourover combination bike shop) coffee place here sells them and I wanted to support them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
See if they can get you a Corvo instead. They may be able to order one for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My partner got me the breville one touch tea maker for a gift. I don't know if not having used it I would have bought it for myself not having owned it, but I like it a lot.