Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Its probably some sort of garbage clay, but you're not supposed to drink from + it works + looks good :) Got the 10" one. Shipping took ages though...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tea...2296033773.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

RandomPauI posted:

I picked up a canister of https://www.teavivre.com/rose-whisper-herbal-tea.html for a friend but I found out she wouldn't be able to drink it. Coincidentally, there's an upcoming Christmas party for the DSA.

Does anyone have any ideas what sorts of alcohol the tea would pair with?

It's lemony and floral, I'd go with gin. Maybe one of the newer more floral ones, possibly a citrusy one, but not a juniper-heavy one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a museum with a clay teapot that was donated on the condition its was taken care of, rather than just preserved, so every year or so they take it out of its case and pour some tea over it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My gaiwan, gong dao bei and cups arrived!

They're absolutely tiny, but adorable. Seeing as how I have to do like 6 steeps to fill a proper cup I might buy something bigger at some point, or maybe just a yixing pot.

They also came with a mini-bing of some tea which tastes mostly like black tea, with maybe a hint of pu-erh and sauna. I really like it!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Pics imho.

Brought one of my tea sets and a selection of teas back home with me for Christmas. Looking forward to trying out this 1985 aged oolong again...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

These are beautifully minimalistic!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Very Nice! Ruyao celadon or something?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It looks identical to my ruyao set from teaware.house, only cream colored instead of green. I think it's this one

https://teaware.house/collections/gaiwan/products/standard-white-ruyao-gaiwan-100ml

Pretty much my favorite gaiwan set too!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yep, that is the one.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 22, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ulvir posted:

Crimson Lotus teas always has some really fresh and nice teas at hand, such as their 2018 Intrigue

The 2018 Intrigue is nice. It has that pu-erh astringency, but it's not as intense as the old bings I have. The aroma of the wet leaf is strikingly one of apricot jam. I've never really had anything like that. The tea itself seems sort of like gunpowder green tea, it has the same bitterness to it, and some spicy notes. I don't get any florals, but it is grassy, kind of fruity and has that somewhat woody sauna thing going on.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 23, 2018

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Two tea plants I've planted in the community garden at my work. Pretty excited, been wanting to do this for a while but just recently moved to a location that is somewhat in the appropriate tea plant USDA zone.

Unfortunately, can't take pictures at work, so won't have any from them in the ground outside/growing. But, I'll update with some harvest and processing in 2 years!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

good luck.

I’ve started to experiment with filling some steam inside the ziplock bags before putting away raw puers, to see if I can keep them fresh for longer on my shelf. at some point in my life I'm going to go the pumidor route wrt puer storage, but as is I don’t have the space to keep more than the few cakes I drink each year or so, so let’s see how this goes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Could you not use a small humidor?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

those are either too small or too expensive. and I’m also not too sure about the smell in those, since puerhs love to absorb scents. besides, the shelf-life of my teas aren’t so long that they get destroyed, I just want to see if I can keep more of the dry-leaf aroma for a bit longer when a cake is half finished

edit: I picked up the idea of steaming from here.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 31, 2018

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Guess who's got two thumbs, is on Ritalin, and just had two mugs of yerba maté and is feeling a bit dizzy right now?

THIS GUY

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Clay pot arrived today. Looks amazing, the etching is much nicer than in the photos on YS for some reason. I’ll post some pics later.

So how do I season this? Marshaln seems to recommend just putting it in a bowl with some warm water for a while, while most shops and so on recommend boiling pots for hours... also, do you just dump the leaves in when you brew, or is there more to it? Seem to remember reading something convoluted about packing leaves into pots

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I just rinsed mine with boiling water a few times or whatever MarshalN was recommending. the whole seasoning stuff is kinda overblown from what I can gather. boiling it in tea might give it some patina if you’re really really into that though

as for leaves, I really just dump them in there. when brewing puerh I might put the broken/loose leaves in first and then the chunk of leaves on top of it. there is an absolutely insanely spergy way you can do it where you have to pack everything perfectly according to size and poo poo, but I cba to bother with that

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Then I’ll just leave it in hot water for a while more and rinse it a bit. I’ll soak it in some tea if it still smells like mud and clay at the end of the bath

E: bad photo.

Made some anxi Ben Shan oolong in it. Turned out good, pot size is nice too. Will have to make something in a gaiwan at the same time to compare taste the next time I use it.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Have been drinking tea on and off most of my life (my resume includes very British grandparents and two parents that drank tea the way most people drink coffee). I've at least always had loose leaf tea around, but have mostly only ever drunk very unsubtle things like earl grey and lapsang suchong.

A few weeks ago I notice that my client makes fancy-rear end pearl tea that unfolds like a flower in his cup, so I decide to investigate, which leads me down a rabbit hole through here and the upton tea site and $35 worth of samples that run the gamut of styles/origins.

Currently drinking a Japanese sencha that I made with correct temp water for the correct time instead of just dumping boiling water over the leaves and letting it sit until I remember to pour it, and goddam have I been missing out on a lot. I swear I can taste oysters in this stuff, in all the best ways.

Gotta read back more in the thread and try my other 15-ish samples now. Thanks, goons.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I got a mini-cake of puerh for Christmas and thought I'd poll you guys: do you have a simple, office-friendly way of brewing puerh? I'm talking about a mug + electric kettle + brewing basket kind of approach.

The vast majority of my tea consumption is while at work, which is why I'd like to come up with a way that wouldn't be prohibitively complicated for a cubicle or breakroom.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trabant posted:

I got a mini-cake of puerh for Christmas and thought I'd poll you guys: do you have a simple, office-friendly way of brewing puerh? I'm talking about a mug + electric kettle + brewing basket kind of approach.

The vast majority of my tea consumption is while at work, which is why I'd like to come up with a way that wouldn't be prohibitively complicated for a cubicle or breakroom.

That’s how I drink all of my tea. I treat my pu erh like black. Heaping teaspoon in my small metal basket + mug, pour in boiling water, cover with the lid of the kettle, brew for 5 minutes, enjoy tea. Works every time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Excellent, thanks! I've been doing more or less the same (only including a rinse before steeping) so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on something else that's simple-yet-effective.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Hmm, I'm running out of oolongs, which is what I've realized I prefer to drink. Finished the last of my Anxi Ben Shan last night (which I've enjoyed quite a lot) and opened a new package of some charcoal roasted Dong Ding I picked up a few months back. The Dong Ding was very very nice (quite similar to the aged Anxi oolong I've had a few times). But now I only got the aged oolong, the dong ding and an OK Mi Lan Xiang Dan Cong I got off YS left... (still got lots of black teas and puerhs, so I won't starve)

With the rate I'm going now, the good oolongs I got left will be gone asap. Any suggestions? I'd like to try some Rou Gui or some other yan cha + a nice Mao Xie/hairy crab + possibly a TGY

Another question: what do you store your teas in: ziplocks? caddies? tins? Got a couple of double lidded tins I like, and the rest I keep in the ziplocks they came in. Would love to move all of it to tins or caddies to please the eye a bit better tho.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

wrt oolongs, my bias lies with with dark oolongs. a good rou gui is never wrong imo.

as for storage, I keep my oolongs in either the ziplock they ship with, or in a tin/caddy.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
I guess I'll get a bulk off YS again then. Prices are friendly and stuff only takes about a week to arrive from there. Their Oolong selection is not that massive though, what's the best oolong dealers you usually turn to?

Was looking at spillthetea (got to support local poo poo!), but their prices is like 2x YS ://

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've mostly just used tedragen, YS and taiwan sourcing. most of my purchases has been puerh, so :shrug:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think the Oolongs from TeaVivre are pretty good, but I'm no Oolong expert.

https://www.teavivre.com/anxi-monkey-king-oolong-tea.html was pretty good value last I had it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve also heard that what-cha is supposed to be decent as well.

and one rather obscure source of really good tea is Chado teepood in Tallinn. though I’m not 100% sure about their shipping (I only bought tea when I visited), and their prices are probably closer to the likes of tedragen and spill the tea

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 11, 2019

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
I’ll look into them!

I know Teamountain.cz has some nice stuff, but I have no idea if they ship out of the Czech Republic. Tried a varied selection when I visited and bought some stuff (the delicious dong ding I’m currently drinking is from there).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I use mason jars once the sealed bags are opened for my non puerhs, and keep them in a cupboard. For oolongs, if you're not looking to get into high end stuff, YS and Teavivre will do you fine. If you end up wanting to dip into specialized vendors, teadb has a good writeup on gaoshan and wuyi oolongs.

https://teadb.org/taiwanese-tea-vendors/
https://teadb.org/wuyi-oolong-tea-vendors/

Personally I really like BTT for mid-end gaoshan.

https://beautifultaiwantea.com/collections/oolong-teas

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

hope and vaseline posted:

I use mason jars once the sealed bags are opened for my non puerhs, and keep them in a cupboard. For oolongs, if you're not looking to get into high end stuff, YS and Teavivre will do you fine. If you end up wanting to dip into specialized vendors, teadb has a good writeup on gaoshan and wuyi oolongs.

https://teadb.org/taiwanese-tea-vendors/
https://teadb.org/wuyi-oolong-tea-vendors/

Personally I really like BTT for mid-end gaoshan.

https://beautifultaiwantea.com/collections/oolong-teas

Those teadb links look very useful! Thanks!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
After having a look at those teadb links, YS didn´t seem like such a bad idea. Had a voucher there to ease the cost a bit too. Picked up some DHP, Roasted "AA Grade" Ben Shan (these grade names are very mysterious to me), Rou Gui and Tie Luo Han/Iron Arhat (pricier than the others). Testing some Taiwanese Oolongs next time!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

milk oolong, four seasons and jade oolong are really frigging good

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ulvir posted:

wrt oolongs, my bias lies with with dark oolongs. a good rou gui is never wrong imo.

as for storage, I keep my oolongs in either the ziplock they ship with, or in a tin/caddy.

Dark oolongs rule. I got a whole bunch of interesting ones in the Teavivre sale, and I think there was a Rou Gui in there. Haven't had one before so I'm interested to try it.

Teavivre's Huang Guanyin and Da Hong Pao are both excellent if you like Wuyi rock teas.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to brew Golden Yunnan Special Grade? It's 100% bud but I think it's processed like a black like other golden Yunnans

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In a gaiwan or just in general? I'd lower the temperature for a very buddy black tea, especially if it's completely golden. 85C, maybe step it up to 90C in later steeps.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Just in general. I tend to either do large leaf teas like this in my large Finum infuser in a huge mug or throw the leaves directly in a small teapot. I'll start it at 85C for a two minute steeping and adjust from there. Thanks!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Picked up a new tea bottle for work. The old plastic one was a bad design that got too hot to handle. New one is double walled glass, and works much better (nicer build too). Doesn’t make as much tea as the last one though.

Steeped some mao feng black tea in it earlier:

Samadoyo brand bottle, purchased from tedragen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve been eyeballing that one for a while. how much less are we talking about? and how does it handle steeping compared to the old one? I always have to open the strainer to let all the steeped tea into the main bottle with the plastic one