Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I haven't placed an order to see (since I just buy at my local shop), but David's Tea's website now says they have $5 shipping within North America.

So, if you've thought about ordering from them but high shipping to the States has held you off, now's your chance! The new winter collection is in, too. Chocolate chili chai is a returning tea from last year and is yummy if you like such things.

I mostly shop there for the crazy fruit blends because I am a ~girl~ but a friend swears by many of their more ordinary teas as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

But if you want to match symbols to the type of tea you're using, look up about half an inch.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

I'm sorry your first experience with puerh had to be a lousy loose cooked tea. Adagio and other similar Western vendors are not the right source for puerh of any kind.

What would you recommend as a source for a reasonable pu-erh? I keep thinking I ought to at least try it (even though I don't especially expect to like it; what I've heard of its flavour profile isn't anything that appeals to me. But, I've been surprised before) and I'd like to at least give it a fair go.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Imperial Tea Court has a fairly large selection, but you're in Canada, so I couldn't really say there. Shou bing cha ('finished' pressed cake) pu-erh is the best bet to begin with the stuff, as I understand it; single servings may be better served with tuo cha (bird's nest) pu-erh, though.

Ugh yeah their shipping prices are pretty unreasonable to Canada.

quote:

Places that have strong roots in China tend to have the greatest selection of pu-erh. If you have a Chinatown in your area, it might be worth poking around there to see if they have a selection at all (and maybe you might find a new place - I've found that those kinds of tea places tend not to advertise online). Otherwise, your best bet might be to import from the US.

Yeah there's a couple places around town I know of I could check out and a couple other stores that might lead to some leads. I don't mind ordering in either, but I don't want to get reamed on shipping.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Maybe a better question would have been what are some herbal teas that aren't overly fruity or flowery?

Honestly since a tisane can be literally anything that's really a broad and impossible question-- you pretty much need to just get your nose in there and give it a sniff and read the ingredients and all that.

You're not going to get something that tastes really tea-like out of a tisane since it's not tea, and one of the advantages of a tisane is you can get more overtly different flavours (and often far sweeter)... chammomile is a usual bedtime tisane, that's more grassy than flowery, I find. I tend to like rose hip tisanes too, but that might be straying too sweet for what you're looking for.

http://www.davidstea.com/our-teas/herbal-tea shows a decent variety and their stuff is good on the whole.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sirotan posted:

That was a really interesting read. White tea has the highest amount of caffeine? And it looks like all I've got to do to make decaf tea for myself is to be sure to steep my tea for 15 minutes first. :v:

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm mostly hesitant to try tisanes because I've had so many horrible ones in the past. I like a strong flavored tea, but not when its cinnamon and flowers and fruits and poo poo all thrown together. The chicory or dandelion coffee intrigues me, I may have to hunt some down.

The mulberry stuff I got at David's is kind of nutty tasting, you might want to look for something like that too.

That being said there are a lot of really pleasant tisanes out there but yeah, if you want to avoid ones that are innately sweet you'll have a bit more trouble.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Probably hibiscus; that's usually what makes tisanes red.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I really love genmaicha, it's one of my favourite types of teas. For whatever reason it tastes like a warm fuzzy blanket feels to me; it's warm and a bit sweet and cozy and it is the best thing to have on an unpleasantly cold or rainy day.

And yeah it's nice because it's not especially expensive, and why should it be, its sole reason for being is to stretch out tea cheaply.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You'll want to dry it for tea. I think you can just dry it in the oven, I know I've seen instructions for it but it's pretty much just spreading it out on a cookie sheet at very low heat.

No need to chop it up, it'll crumble once it's dry.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Oh man. OH man. I went overboard on a visit to Aroma Tea Shop in San Fransisco with pork never goes bad. I ended up with:

1/4 lb Tie Guan Yin
1/4 lb Ginseng Oolong
1/2 lb 2011 Alishan Oolong (cut rate deal, too!)
1/4 lb Peach Oolong
3 oz Phoenix Oolong
1 oz Phoenix Orchid Oolong (also marked on tag as Ben Shan)

also two bamboo coasters and a small 9 pc. gongfu set (gaiwan, fair cup, 6 tasting cups, tea boat) and a crystal glass fair cup

Then, the following day, the first part of my preorder from Life in Teacup arrived...

2 x 25g 2012 Pre-QingMing Da Fo Long Jing (dated 4/3/2012)
1 x 25g 2012 Dong Ting East Mountain Bi Lo Chun (dated 4/9/2012)

...and then I got the $25 for $55 dine-in credit at Samovar...

:negative:

It seems that you have a bit too much tea on hand. Perhaps you should send it to me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How much trouble is it to clean those ingenuiTEA things? Their video doesn't show that part. I use a strainer that sits in the cup and it's very easy to lift out and whack on the edge of the garbage can to dump out the leaves, then rinse out under the tap and shake dry.

That's pretty much exactly how you clean an ingenuiTEA between uses. You can toss it in the dishwasher when it needs it.

If I'm not going to make tea again for a while, I'll leave the lid open and let it dry some so it shakes more easily into the trash but really that's a needless extra step.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I mean a 'whack' is more of a 'tap it lightly a couple times and stick your fingers in to shake out anything that gets stuck' for me.

I also have good results in a workplace situation with just a pack of fill-your-own teabags.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I was surprised that I liked lapsang souchong, myself. I did not enjoy the smell at all of the first one I bought, but I tried it out and found that I actually really enjoyed the taste in the end.

All of this comes with the caveat that I sugar my tea, but I still very much got that earthy flavour.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

David's Tea has a lot of nice herbals too, and assorted decafs, since it seems like you're in Canada. Cornelia Bean ships from Winnipeg and have a lot of the sort too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Congratulations, I am sure neongrey is going to be knocking on your door trying to push you for employee-discounted girly teas now. :v:

Or to try the more expensive less girly ones, hehe. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Drink those girly teas with pride, DavidsTea's delicious blends are a big part of what got me into loose tea in the first place and I STILL drink tons despite mostly being a straight man (..?) now. Can I help with the knocking?

Oh yeah I'm not down on the girly fruity tea, I like the untainted stuff too, but when you hang with the tea spergs, you expect some rightful ribbing for drinking these Frankenstein's monsters that are more fruit than tea. :v:

(oh god I bought a tassimo from a friend at work and I have been drinking nothing but a) lattes and b) tea lattes ever since, I have betrayed both the coffee and the tea gods if I never post again here it is because they have struck me down :unsmigghh:)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Renzuko posted:

Tassimo has it's own proprietary t-disk's, which are small disks with a bar code that the machine reads, and it know's how much water/how hot the water should be shot through the disk and whatever is inside the disk, I'm guessing the person you quoted is using a tea t-disk and a latte t-disk from a different package

Yes and no-- they straight-up have chai latte packages. Sometimes I swap the chai for an earl grey. It's not bad for what it is (which isn't great, but not terrible), honestly. Though honestly, I think in the future I'll just order loose latte disks and have it right with the earl grey, it's much better than the chai.

They've got other tea discs but not anything I'd drink with milk at all, let alone foamy milk.

Pursuant to real tea, if you use the service disk, the machine'll just spit out straight hot water, which is nice for real tea.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I take milk in my earl grey and chai, occasionally in other blacks depending on my mood. Also I take at least some sugar in almost everything, regardless of whether it's right or not.

I'm a bad tea fan.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, if you're sweetening your tea, you don't need to worry about getting the really high end stuff. You can still get the flavour of the tea, absolutely, but it will fade off the subtleties of the good stuff.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, genmaicha just tastes like a hug, it's not something I drink every day but I always want some on hand.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Devi posted:

Genmaicha is my favorite tea. I got a couple of things from Davidstea and was going to get some genmaicha, too, to see how it stacks up to my normal stuff but I figured that a tea that was made to be cheap shouldn't be expensive now. Mine is $6 for 2 oz. It's considerably more everywhere (unless it's in bags and the stuff I've gotten like that is awful). Is there any reason to get genmaicha from a fancy tea place?

Not really, so far as I know. I suppose you could use a nicer green tea in it but that seems a waste since the flavour is always going to be overridden by the rice. Genmaicha's really a safe bet to cheap out on.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 18, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

One thing you can do if you're wanting to work your tea into your girly fruitwater is that places like David's will have a lot of really fruit-heavy teas. This stuff is the peachiest oolong, and I think it's a great way to get your feet wet.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I've never found genmaicha to be very touchy. Two minutes sounds reasonable to me but a minute and a half is probably fine too. You should be able to reuse it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Koaxke posted:

I want to try a second steep on my teas, but is it cool if I just let the leaves sit in my ingenuitea while I finish my first cup? If not is there a certain way I should be storing them while I drink the first cup?

Should be fine. Leave the lid open and they'll dry nicely.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Nah, you don't have to. But it's nice if it's going to be a bit before you resteep. If it stays wet it'll get gross.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, if it's dry the absolute worst it could be is a bit stale. If it's been kept dry and in a cool dark place, it'll probably be nearly as good as when you first got it.

You only need to worry about mold if damp has gotten to it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Honestly I brew by the cup, myself. I haven't used a teapot in years.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

If you're buying tea there's like a 75%+ chance of it being grown in China. You shouldn't be worried.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Mmm. Genmaicha is the best.

It tastes like a hug.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Uh, pretty much all major retailers use "natural flavors" for their blends, cause dried fruit pieces and flowers don't actually impart much favor when steeping.

Yeah, it's a fascinating science, really. I know David's Tea uses actual pieces of fruits and whatever in their flavoured teas too, but they use natural flavouring too, because as cool as it is to have slices of dried peach in there, it's not going to make it taste appreciably peachy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You can grow your own tea, to be sure-- though herbal stuff is best for this; mint is literally a weed and all. But usually leaves used for tea are dried first, so freshness is a debatable virtue.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sanguinary Novel posted:

It's been a month of poor tea decisions. First, the Teavana experience, and then I bought some tea from David's Tea for the first time. After disliking three bags of tea, I have a deeper appreciation for Adagio selling sample bags. All of the teas seem to have a really weird texture to them, like the flavor is really muddy. It's hard to describe. It's probably the flavoring that makes the tea so weird. I'm going to try the weird teas iced or maybe with a little milk, just to try and not waste anything. Next time I'll just stick with Upton and Adagio.

David's, in store anyway, will usually let you go down as low as 25g which is pretty sample-sized. If you're not into the flavouring stuff though (I kind of like a lot of it) you're best off elsewhere; some of their unflavoured stuff is nice but you can get better cheaper elsewhere.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're expecting there, chammomile's got a really grassy taste and it's not like it's a drug or anything, it's something people drink late when they're sleepy because there's no caffeine in it, it's just a warm fuzzy thing, not some sort of chemical effect.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ulvir posted:

if you want caffeine free actual tea, even according to pedants, then I strongly recommend hojicha, which is roasted sencha (I think it came to be as a way to use leftovers when they got stale or tasteless). the process significantly reduces the caffeine levels and tastes really delish

it's been a while but iirc it's got a similar flavour to genmaicha which is my big go-to for when i want to drink a liquid hug, which should also be good for warming up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

imo you'd be better off not trying to get her to approach tea as a subsitute for coffee. the previous advice is certainly still good for finding things that shes likely to enjoy, but I'd also try to not put it in opposition to the thing that she does like. If she's stapled to her morning coffee, tea is great later in the day, in the evenings even for something warm to drink.

What flavours does she like that aren't coffee?