Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i am not the tea nerd in the house; we do have a ridiculous cupboard filled with all sorts of packages of tea so generally i'm content to let my other half have the tea ritual and i'm content to enjoy having it done for me. that said, i have been playing around with cold steeping black teas in the fridge overnight lately; being from the south i still enjoy iced tea especially as it's starting to warm up outside, and i find that compared to the way most people back home do iced/sweet teas, this makes for a great, balanced flavour with little to no bitterness.

this picture is faintly cloudy because i just did a coarse strain this morning and not through any filter.

this was a blend from a lovely local shop that does porch deliveries for free in town (and leaves a warm, handwritten note inside of every delivery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jhet posted:

^Yes, sencha can have very short steep times.

As opposed to "boil for 10-15 minutes and then remove Luzianne tea bags"? Yeah, that's going to taste so much better and looks really lovely. I like making it concentrated by using 2x loose tea and other flavor components (I like fresh ginger and black tea) to the hot water for 5 minutes is perfect too, but then I have to wait for it to get cold. I should just try sticking the tea in overnight cold, but I like how green tea turns out for that. I can imagine a bunch of tea blends that would work well cold steeped.

haha! don’t forget to tie the bags together when you boil them. add a cup of sugar and 2L of water and you’re good to go

:cry:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ordinarily i wouldn’t double steep black tea but i used a fair bit of grounds for this. so the first steep was probably a day in the fridge. for the resteep they were probably soaking for 48 hours or so. result: just as good as the first batch and i think i’ll just do it this way from now on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i bought some mate from the place i order my chiles from as they carry a lot of latin american foods. i’ve never had it before.

i didn’t realize it but this bag actually has guarana in the mix as well, which is probably what’s supplying the fruity note. i’m not sure how often i’ll drink it but it’s tasty.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like doing reasonable quality black teas for cold brew because the forgiving cold steep gets flavour without any of the bitterness. versus needing to step up in quality to get tea that doesn’t do that when hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DurianGray posted:

I actually just got my order of Catspring yaupon in today. I've only tried the dark roast so far (I got the sampler) but it's definitely similar to a roasted yerba mate I've had before. Maybe a little less vegetal and a little more sweet? I can definitely say I like it.

yeah this is my thought on it too, if you can't get yaupon, get a few kinds of mate. it's the same genus.