Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It used to be the table that was at the Aroma Tea Shop in San Francisco (the one in Chinatown). The owner's wife said that the table was too big for the storefront, so their loss is my gain (even though I had to get it shipped). It has dedicated drainage for preparation, which I fully intend to leverage pretty much constantly while I'm drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Reiterpallasch posted:

Oh my god i know that table. Please tell me that Aroma isn't closing up shop or hard-up for money or anything.

No, but they wanted to replace that table since it was too big for the Chinatown storefront and I said "ooh, give me that" and they obliged along with some of the matching stools. I also found out that the granite countertop version of that weighs somewhere close to a ton and cost about ten grand before shipping from China. The owner mentioned he'll probably just replace the table with an IKEA one or something.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Once I have it in my possession (the actual ETA should be this Thursday) then I can certainly do a demonstration of it. However, basically it is for gongfu preparation and has drainage in the middle which empties to whatever you would like to run a hose to, typically a bucket. This is mostly important for drinking a lot of tea in high volume but it's also a handmade piece of work that is meant to last basically forever with proper care, even under constant usage.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Here is that thing that I bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Bsx53viMc

I'm determining what to do with the spigot stuff. I'd like to use it for dispensing freshwater, but more likely I will probably just cap it off. I'll also probably replace the power strip with a proper voltage one and figure out what to do with the switch block (all of these things will make more sense if you see the video).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I shot two more videos, mostly for self reference but I'll throw them here in case anybody wants to see more of this table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_DUuYYhqOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnAbZm_c80

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I finished setting up the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LiDx5NmTKU

Here are the other videos that I had shot for the new page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Bsx53viMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_DUuYYhqOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnAbZm_c80

I need to figure out how to shoot videos for longer than 5 minutes at a stretch if I want to record any actual tea sessions that I do (whether it be for personal reference or a presentation or something). If anybody knows how to do that I'd appreciate some advice! The next step is to re-inventory all of the tea that I have.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Thanks! I'm debating what to do with the worn down portions of the table - refinishing seems beyond what I might be capable of (or rather how much energy I'm willing to expend on supplies right now), but I have some spare Sugru lying around so I could mold bumpers over the damaged parts that could blend in and also protect the areas from moisture.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

MrSlam posted:

My family's Utah-Mormon so tea's an entirely alien experience to me. Please don't ask about me about the religion, I'm just bringing it up to say that I only recently started experiencing the Not-Tea side of Tea.

I've always heard about chamomile's relaxing properties so I bought some to see if I could get into it. In my head I expected it to taste like sitting in front of the fireplace at grandma's house but in reality it tasted like I steeped grass in hot water for five minutes. And I didn't feel too relaxed afterward, probably because I was doing it wrong. I tried it again later on with twice as many teabags but that didn't seem to help either. I added some honey and lemon to it and it still didn't taste like something I'd want to keep doing. I feel like I'm forcing myself to have an experience.

Maybe I'm just not a tea guy?

Assuming you're only looking at herbals since you can't have caffeine as a dietary restriction, consider a blend of chamomile, lavender (aromatic relax and calming aid), jasmine blossom (for floral sweetness), hibiscus (for floal sweetness), rooibos (caffeine free) and nettle (some have told me it is a focus aid). This was a popular blend from an apothecary I bought from when I lived back in Arizona, less the rooibos. It depends on what you really kind of want out of the flavor profile of your herbal tisane. Do you expect more sweet, a little savory, maybe some spicy/tanginess? These are all things you can achieve by blending other ingredients into your steep.

Are you looking to get into caffeinated teas (read: all regular teas that aren't labeled as herbal or caffeine free)? If not, rooibos and other tea leaf alternatives work acceptably with herbal blends. As the other people have said already, you may wish to explore more types and ingredients or just different types of teas or herbal tisanes.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

MrSlam posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll be trying peppermint, Yerba Mate, Roobios, and maybe Honeybush if I can find it. The teas I'm specifically avoiding are Black, Oolong, Green, and White and I wouldn't feel conflicted about drinking things with caffeine in it. I wasn't going to get into it, but the wording in the dietary restrictions (in regards to tea) for latter-day saints is extremely vague. It says " no hot-drinks" which back then meant tea and coffee so everyone figured it either really meant caffeine or it meant specifically those drinks (possibly in a graham-crackers will stop masturbation kind of way). It was mostly a helpful suggestion instead of a full-blown rule for nearly half a century after it came out but in general it still gets followed even by super intelligent enlightened folks like me. Coffee flavored candy is fine, but so help me if you enjoy it :argh:

Today the guidelines are: Try not to do things that will lead to addiction and/or are terrible for your health, but figure it out for yourselves, but still follow the letter of the law for the most part

And doing things that are good for my health is kind of a moot point since my mom turned me into a Coke-baby by drinking 2 liters of the stuff every few days while I was in the womb :v:

Also, really looking forward to this blend. It'll be tough finding a place that sells all this stuff loosely in driving distance. Somebody's gotta have it though. And I guess there's always the Internet.

Yerba Mate has hella caffeine in it. Just be aware that if you're under dietary limitations for caffeine to watch out for things that are tea-alternatives, particularly for Yerba Mate. If you just can't drink "tea", then good luck with your other caffeine explorations.

One additional thing is that if you're branching out for tisanes (my preference for calling herbal tea) you will want to look at other things that have been used to scent teas and/or other drinks. Because flowers work, osmanthus and rose hips are also good; if you do have someone that sells any of the kind of stuff that I was talking about hit 'em up and pick their brain a bit.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Droid Washington posted:

What is the best way to come to non-boiling temps? My water boiler doesn't have a temperature gauge on it. Would it be wise to invest in one? Or is there a trick to visually noticing when the water has hit 170 for example?

It isn't the best way but what i have learned to do is if you have boiling water (you always know what temperature boiling water is at) you can decant to something and let it rest for a little or to decant from a high height with a bit of finesse if you have a kettle with a good spout (Bonavita kettle, even if you dial in the temp, you can still do this just by the design of the gooseneck. Reference: http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40)

I've used lovely kettles I've bought for 8 bucks at a tea shop in Oakland Chinatown and they have a fast shutoff pre-boil and a narrow spout for better flow control, too. It really just depends on what you're brewing - ice cube trick works, most reliable way is to get a thermometer and shove it in the kettle while it heats up. If you're trying to brew something specific, I can maybe give you some advice on what I've done for temperature control, since a lot of times before I would just decant from a water dispenser that was fixed to 208F or a kettle i set to manual boil.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

taters posted:

Concerning the temperature for oolongs referenced previously, there are so many factors involved that its impossible to simply say "190 for oolongs". Most of the oolongs I drink would be absolutely ruined by water that hot; un-drinkably bitter. Factors include oxidation levels, wseason they were picked and the specific cultivar.

It usually is a bit of trial and error to find a sweet spot for oolongs in terms of temperature. I have found that dancongs are much more favorable at lower temperatures (brew them like delicate green teas), whereas high fired oolongs like a deep roast dong ding does well with higher temperatures. If I'm making a big-rear end teapot, then I have water at 195 ready to dispense and by the time the pot's full from cold it is roughly at the right temperature for if I want a lot of tie guan yin or similar.

When in doubt, some places can give specific instructions on the label as to what temperature to brew at, but if not, might need to do a bit of homework and experiment.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Zojirushi also makes one that I would recommend, aside from Thermos:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-JTE46AD-Stainless-16-Ounce-0-46-Liter/dp/B00C4OE79K

More expensive but you're paying more for quality over the brand, in the case of Teavana. Alternately, you can also use open fill teabags and keep a few in a ziploc bag with you and throw it into any mug, insulated or otherwise. When you're done you can discard the bag like you would something like a Lipton bag or whatnot:

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-100-Filters-Large-Brown/dp/B000KDW9MO

Finum is just one example but I prefer them personally over other open fill disposable teabags.

edit: Contigo, another highly rated company that sells fancy insulated travel mugs, also has a drop-in infuser basket for their West Loop tumbler:

http://www.gocontigo.com/tea-infuser-stainless-steel.html
http://www.gocontigo.com/20-oz-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-easy-clean-lid.html

These usually retail for a little closer to 25 bucks for the mug itself and is available at most anywhere that would sell a travel mug.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 6, 2016

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

neogeo0823 posted:

It's getting to be hot on the regular now, and I'd like to make some iced tea that isn't the "traditional" orange pekoe steeped to death and sweetened to hell variety. However, I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money on quailty loose leaf because I'm poor. What would you guys recommend in the way of either cheap-as-hell loose leaf or bagged brands to make a decent sweet iced tea?

I just use the cheapest tea that I can find from a non-Western brand. Usually, this means Hime brand genmaicha. Failing that, the cheapest leaves you can get loose somewhere. The trick is to brew it cold overnight chilled and it produces a fantastic cup. This even works well with teas of questionable stock from asian markets like Foo Jin, etc.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Oh, interesting. I guess that makes a lot of sense!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Seems like roughly the same process as brewing Russian style, where you make the tea in concentrate form and then dilute to taste with hot water afterwards, so yeah, go hog wild

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I had a pretty excellent experience with Yunnan Gold Noir Rings from Aroma tea. It's malty and honey-tasting without being too overpowering or bitter, plus the leaves are rolled into little rings as the name suggests. The leaves naturally have a bit of yellow in them.

Here is a link to Aroma Tea Shop's page for it. You can also find similar prices at most other retailers.

This is for a quarter pound but I actually found I drank through mine super fast even with multiple resteeps. I was quite surprised by how much I liked it!

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 23, 2016

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

It's been great to see this thread keep chugging along for nearly 5 years (!?). Since it's been a while, I'm looking to maybe update the OP and would love to know if you guys have any recommendations, or if there's anything else you'd like to see on there. I've noticed a few links to vendors seem to be dead now so I'll probably be removing some of them if I can't find a working link.

(I did just add Teavivre since I noticed it wasn't on.)

http://www.aromateashop.com - Typically what I get my tea from. Owner/operator sources the teas himself. I also bought my ridiculous tea table from the dude who runs the show here. He's on the younger side and helped some businesses out in the local area get started in much the same model as he did, offering unlimited free samples for different teas. Based in San Francisco.

http://www.imperialtea.com - Roy Fong's a legit teamaster and does his own roasting from time to time. Pricy, but the quality of leaf is good here too. They also do direct sourcing like Aroma, above. Based in San Francisco.

http://www.lifeinteacup.com - Good for Drago Well pre-orders. They also collaborate with some pottery type people to offer teawares.

http://www.yunomi.life/ - Direct sourcing from Japanese farmers and pottery folks (cups, pots, etc)

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ldllu?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 - eBay store, I never bought anything from here but I have window shopped for a long time. If anybody has bought from here, I'd love to hear about it, personally

http://jingteashop.com/ - mid and high grade teas, predominantly Chinese and Taiwanese in variety. I'd call it a website that you'd step up to if you want to expand your selection and try some newer more expensive stuff

http://www.itoen.com/ - Japanese major manufacturer of teas. They are responsible for the "Tea's Tea" brand of bottled ready to drink teas. In general, pretty good - if I had the choice between Snapple/Honest Tea/etc. and a bottle of Tea's Tea unsweetened, I'd go for that. Found most anywhere these days.

http://usa.lupicia.com/ - A Japanese company that has physical stores in only a few places in the US. Online ordering seems to work and they could best be described as a competitor to Teavana but more geared towards weeaboos. The actual leaf quality is pretty good from the last time I got something from them. Stores in Hawaii, Tokyo, San Francisco.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Love Stole the Day posted:

I have a dumb question that isn't really answered or whatever in the OP.

I know that it's very popular to add milk and sugar to your tea so that it changes or enhances the flavor or whatever. However, when I try to do this, I end up with a warm little mini-cup of milk and a dried, crusty little mini-thing of sugar on my computer desk because it took me so long to drink my first cup due to it being so hot that I kind of feel like it's best to just keep it all in the fridge. Problem is, though, that it's an awful lot of work going back and forth from one end of the house to the other every single time that I want to refill my cup.

Surely I am dumb and doing everything the wrong way, so I wanted to ask about how I'm supposed to organize this stuff here because I suck at drinking tea. I often feel like I'm better off just drinking it straight from the pot, even though it always tastes a lot better with just a little bit of sugar and milk.

Get a thermal insulated mug like a Contigo West Loop. I have one for coffee and tea and the stainless steel one rinses to odorless and keeps hot drinks hot for 4 hours for 20oz. Zojirushi also makes some solid mugs as well, or if you want to really just make a whole lot of tea, you can use a real big thermos. I would advise to leave a small pot of sugar and maybe a little thing of milk near your desk in a bowl of ice if you want. I dunno how far the other side of your house is, maybe this is a good suggestion for you?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This thread turned me on to the Finum baskets for single cup brewing and they're great.

They're also good for use in teapots too - I found that Forlife infusers tend to get stems stuck in the holes. Not so with the Finum baskets!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You can drink any tea and it's gonna be fine. People just like being snobby or picky because tea was the province of aristocrats originally, pomp and circumstance comes along with it.

Lipton for me tends to be a bit too bitter these days, but I normally just drink Prince of Peace and very rarely Foojoy in bags because using a basket filter or doing gongfu tends to be somewhat time consuming. There are actually many good and affordable bagged teas out there, and if Lipton's good for you, then go for it and if you're curious you can branch out.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The Postman posted:

Are most teas generally fine to brew "Western style" without losing a ton of the mileage you can get out of the leaves? I love gongfu but it's definitely not practical for preparing tea during work.

If you pitch the leaves on a tea you spent twenty bucks on and you have like a quarter pound of em then it's not as cost effective but there's nothing that stops you from doing so, and until you start getting to teas that are fifty bucks for a quarter pound you're not really losing too much vs. gongfu. However, you don't need to prepare tea during work in the same way, you can just keep adding hot water to leaves and drink through them during the day and it's fine too.

When I used to work in a call center I would take a full thermos of hot water and brew tea at my desk the whole day. When I worked in another call center I just brought a hot water dispenser in and just dispensed water throughout the day. Anecdotally, when I was in south Brazil a few years ago people would just walk around with air pump thermoses and they'd dispense water for yerba mate wherever they went - they even make special holders that you can hang in your car to make a chimarrao while you're stuck in traffic, which is kind of a silly concept until you're actually in traffic.

Anyway, I digress, it just depends on how you view consumption and waste. I would say that if you have a tea you drink all the time it is likely not on that "fifty bucks a quarter pound" category, so you're probably fine.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The Postman posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone! Is the time between steeps pretty flexible if I'm trying to stretch some leaves throughout the work day? Or should I try to keep it within x minutes/hours/whatever of the last steep?

It's all to taste. If it feels like you're just drinking hot water just add more leaves and continue to steep. Don't overthink it too much. If you have a decent tea that doesn't get too bitter when you steep it for awhile (most if not all full leaf teas in the oolong category will do you well) then you should be fine to just keep adding water over the course of the day. If you're looking for an experiment to start with, get a sample packet of an oolong that works for your price point, maybe a tie guan yin, and then just go for it.

I would say that even after a full 24 hours (like you forgot about the tea) you could still have something drinkable but you would obviously need to reheat or chill it instead of drinking it at room temp. Assuming you are just drinking through a full work day just add water when you're out and keep drinkin'.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Karenina posted:

if you want something even more cream-like, but more floral, get yourself some jin xuan/milk oolong. i spent half the day infusing and sipping on this stuff. made work way more bearable.

This is one of the types of teas you'll want to be slightly more discerning on since like jasmine teas the cheaper ones only have kind of a perfuming thing going on without the more in depth and laborious processing to get the actual kind of flavor. Haven't had it from Stone Leaf tea but I've had some good ones (the flavor will last until the leaves have fully unfurled and maybe one steep afterwards) and some mediocre ones (good for about one steep but then just tastes like a cheap oolong afterwards).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Cheese Thief posted:

You can ask me anything about Yerba Mate. When I dont have food, I'll pour hot water into a gourd of leaves for hours and hours.
This is a very dusty cut, without stems. So it's more bitter, but it retains flavor longer. This is smoke dried, which is bad for you. Air dried is healthier.
It tastes like a cross between an ashtray and grass. It's an acquired taste!! But one that grows on you. The air dried varieties have their own flavor, they are more sour.

Got any recommended suppliers in the US that ship? I have a gourd and bombilla and such but I haven't gone out of my way to source some good maté since I got back from Brazil a couple of years ago. I could totally go for one, they go fantastic as an all day drink or enjoyed with citruses like clementines (bergamots too).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Search for tuo cha if anybody else is looking for single session puerh cakes like that. Very handy and comes in small squares or gumdrop shapes.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I actually just zerobrain chai right now and do 1tsp each of cardamom, cloves, and 2tsp of peppercorns (white since that's what I got right now). Coarse grind in a stone mortar and pestle, because a wooden one didn't cut it.

For ginger instead of grating or slicing, I will bust or chop off a knob that is probably 2 to 3 oz of whatever ginger I got in the fridge and smash it. I've found that this is a much faster way of getting the job done and releases more of the essentials. I bag all spices up including one full stick of cinammon i've probably had for 4 years in the back of a cabinet.

I use disposable tea bags (finum or whatever is fine) to make cleanup of spices and tea easier.

I use assam from Ahmad tea (relative of a coworker runs it), 4 tablespoons. 2 to 2.5 cups water. Order of operation:

- water, spices
- boil, tea, steep 3min at boil
- whole milk
- simmer at half heat, 10min
- remove bags, this will also break the skin of milk on the pot
- jaggery to finish, stir really thoroughly
- pour through a mesh strainer to catch any bits into a preheated vessel, average yield is 3.75 cups or one bigass latte mug

I have found that more cloves doesn't matter too much but I have an obscene amount of it. I often find that I want my chai a little sweeter but not too sweet. The key here is using the disposable teabags to hold all the stuff, makes cleanup much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8DpenLE5E

Good video, if you want that.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mrenda posted:

Why does my tea taste like mushrooms? It typically happens with raw pu-erhs, and some greens and lighter oolongs. Is it something to do with how I'm tasting them? Are they literally growing fungus in the sample bags they were sent to me in? Is my tea mug interacting with the tea? (I do clean it.) Is this the vegetal taste mixed with the earthy taste some people like?

It's only some teas that taste like this for me, the "raw-er" types. And sometimes it only happens after I've had a few sips and they've cooled down a little. Fermented pu-erhs, black teas and the less vegetal oolongs don't have this problem for me.

Edit: to be clear, this isn't the slight green-grass flavour I get with green teas, but a much more rich, meaty flavour you'd associate with some types of mushroom.

Can you put some notes up about your preparation routine with them and if the taste changes over time? I assume you're doing multiple washes, appropriate temperature, etc, but each thing may have different root causes.

Greens can get overcooked with higher temp water, as an example, and then impart a kind of umami-heavy sensation. Some say fishy, but mushroomy could also be the same. Raw puerh may have been contaminated and lighter oolong could be the same, but they could also be temperature sensitive (I've had dancongs and other black teas that have this kind of sensation as well).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Try reducing water temperature across the board for those preparations from off-boil to waiting an extra 3 to 5 minutes. This will change the flavor a bit but you can start fiddling with something that opens up more flavors of what you might like. You could theoretically pitch the first couple of brews if they are too strong, or water it down after steep but before drinking.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DisDisDis posted:

is there a good cheat sheet anywhere for gaiwan steep times to start with for different kinds of tea? I got my yunnan sourcing christmas present order in today and tried the yunnan black i got and it was kinda tasteless. i had a residual tongue burn from the day before i might put that down to and i probably let the water cool too long fiddling around with something else but I realized in the middle of it I had no idea what I was doing with the steep times. (I did like 5-10s each time) When I did the rinse I got this huge whiff of dark chocolate which was very exciting, just hope I can get more of that to come through in the brew.

Also is there any disadvantage to "underfilling" a gaiwan? I see a lot of guides mentioning 60-120ml for a single person but I ended up getting a 170ml one because I thought it was pretty, and it turns out it fits really nicely in my hand. Used 4g tea with 60-70ml water in it.

Steep times are mostly dependent on temperature and type of tea from oxidation level, roast profile, and how it's rolled. To start, a generally foolproof method is to do 90 seconds you can tolerate and do a medium to high pour using a kettle fresh off the boil until you have the leaves covered with a small amount of water. Drain off and then pour to steep, enough to cover the leaves. Ideally you want to have the water up to the inside line where the gaiwan lid touches, creating a seal. You can then crack the lid a little and then check the color of the water at 90 seconds, taking a sip or decanting. On successive steeps, add 30 to 60 seconds each time until you can't taste the tea anymore or you quit for the session. You'll know you've reached full extraction with rolled teas if the leaves are fully open.

e: fill the gaiwan until at least you can form a seal. You can decant and drink only what you need. 50ml doesn't make a major difference compared to the tiny ones since your output is only going to be less than half a normal mug per round anyway.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
(immortal wizards and lizard people both doing the arm clasp meme from commando) “aging is not for me”

That looks good, good luck!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gunder posted:

Gaiwan users: what size Gaiwan do you like to use for solo tea sessions? I have a little 60ml capacity (filled all the way up to the brim) that I use currently. I am considering getting a 100ml one, but that might be a bit too much tea to get through if I'm doing something with a lot of infusions like my new PuErh or my Rock Oolong.

Whatever one I have handy but I use larger ones (around 3-5oz).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Planet X posted:

I've been switching over to tea on the weekdays. I've got a local purveyor who has a great selection, which is great.

I've been using tea balls but also clamp spoons, as we have a few of these lying around:

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Stainle...551621978&psc=1

However, it seems to me that if you put a standard teaspoon of tea in the clamp spoon, it's not going to be able to expand when it moistens. Should I stick with the mesh ball, or look at using a spare french press that I have? I was thinking about digging it out and using it as much tea as I'm going through these days, and figure it lets the leaves 'breathe' a bit more?

Using something to constrain the leaves can impact the flavor (I find that leaves that expand a lot will offer a slightly sweeter profile when in a tea ball). The preference for most is to let full leaves open up and save the tea ball etc. for 'messier' types of teas, like ones with a lot of additives or where the leaves and such is rather fine. Experiment with what works best for you and see which flavor and ease you like more. It's probably easiest to rinse out a tea ball or clamp spoon, but french presses are pretty easy to clean out as well and you can brew a larger batch.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Heath posted:

Does anybody have advice for drying out spent gyokuro leaves to make furikake out of? I want to be able to dry and keep them for my rice but I want to make sure they aren't getting moldy or oxidizing too much in the process.

Unless you added sugar to them if you spread them out on a baking sheet and let them dry out normally it should be fine. You can roast or freeze them (probably experiment here) and also pat dry with some paper towels and let air drying or a dehydrator take care of the rest for a couple of hours.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you're worried about mold or what not I'd make sure to drain the liquid fully before continuing again but I mean, I've used the same teabag for multiple days in a mug and it has been fine. You'll very likely know right away if things went south, but for a single day you're going to probably be okay.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I likely ain't gonna be joining the tasting due to my schedule but I will happily join and say hello and talk about tea!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, so I have 3 sheng bricks and 1 aged white tea that are at the teahouse for aging to reside with my teapots that are over there. I'm trying to figure out what I want next, I might buy the remaining 2 sheng bricks so I can have one brick per year, but I'm not sold on it.

For anybody in this thread that does aging, what are your pumidor setups? Should I bother to do climate control, or is leaving it at the teahouse going to be fine?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Trabant posted:

I gotta ask about this:

I don't doubt it, but I have to assume that (a) the quantity and time will be significantly different vs doing it with fresh leaves, and (b) you probably don't want to mix different spent teas?

Not gonna lie though: I'm tempted to mix up spent leaves from like a vanilla black tea and a rooibos and just see what happens.

There's no reason to not do it. Over at the tea house we do super long steeps of a tea after 20+ rounds and let it rest for an hour or two in order to get that last, surprisingly intense and well-rounded extraction from it. The same can be said for cold brewing spent leaves in the same way that DVW mentions.

With tea you can do pretty much whatever you want when cold brewing as it's significantly more forgiving and experimental compared to hot brewing. I wouldn't personally recommend using fancy leaves that haven't already opened up and are more or less done, but you can always give it a shot to mix or have them cold brew separate and mix later. Either way, you will likely be fine.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Trip report: 2021 Wild Taiping Houkui is tasty. Also, both First Grade and Special Grade Dragon Well is pretty good. Got some knowledge about the five protected villages where Dragon Well is produced. Interesting details, but also no surprise that they're similar to other agricultural products that have protected source of origin. Apparently, Shi Feng is the place where you go to harvest tea for presidents and such.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

shoutouts to moms

I should sidebar about how I journal for tea these days. I actually have my own tea journal that used to be much more technical but has since changed to focus less on the actual tea preparation and more towards the tea experience. The tea house I started going to earlier this year has their own very robust tea journal that the wife of one of the owners wrote out, and that's a great way to document teas in a very comprehensive way.

Nowadays I document the following only:

- Date, location (no specific time unless I feel like it's important, else I just do sequentially during that day)
- Who was preparing the tea and in what
- The tea
- Who I was drinking with (usually, by seating arrangement from left to right, otherwise just whoever comes to mind first that I can remember the name for)

Generally unless there's something very noteworthy about the tea I find that having all the other notes about the experience makes me recall different ephemeral things about not just the tea itself but the things that made it a comprehensive thing. Plus, I'm bad with names, and before hellvirus lockdown 2.0 I was pouring for quite a lot of people on a regular basis.

That yellow tea will likely be interesting. I only started digging into yellow teas myself recently and they can be very finicky to prepare well, but you can cheat a little by using some cold water to temper hot water if it's a little too hot in the brew process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

kedo posted:

Hello tea connoisseurs! I'm looking for a crowd pleasing tea recommendation (or potentially several). I teach a kayaking class that goes all winter, and I'd like to have a tea to offer to my students to help warm them up because it gets very cold. I'm looking for some recommendations for approachable yet delicious teas I can brew en bulk and store in a thermos for a few hours during practice. I can brew loose leaf, but I have a slight preference for bagged because because I'll be brewing it while half awake and performing several other prep tasks. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated/herbal recommendations are great (lots of my students are older and may not want caffeine).

Any ideas? My current plan was to just grab a few miscellaneous boxes from Smith since I've bought rooibos from them before and enjoyed it, but if there are any hidden gems out there please let me know? Thanks in advance!

Are you US based? If you want tea that is cheap and easy to brew in bulk, Prince of Peace's jasmine tea is my go-to. Bagged versions are available, the price point is decent at retail, and you can make a lot of it. I frequently resteep the bags as well and they do just fine. Considering the breadth of other teas that I drink at all price points and methods, it is one of the easiest teas to work with by volume without having to put too much thought into it. Just be careful with adding too many bags to a given batch since it will get pretty strong, but you can just water it down and it'll be fine. You can also cold brew it if that's your jam.

For decaf, I unfortunately have no specific recommendations, but you could reuse the spent teabags to capture some extra flavor and the caffeine will have brewed out after 1 or 2 rounds of it.