Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

My order from Mountain Rose Herbs came in the mail today!
I went a little nuts and got myself a huge order of tea, and their awesome mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

DontAskKant posted:

Does anyone work in tea education for a tea company? I just moved back to the US (Seattle) and I'm finding lots of coffee shops don't know how to make their expensive tea. I helped a Stumptown affiliate develop their program and am thinking this might be an opportunity to sneak in the business.

This is something that's been driving me crazy recently. A lot of coffee shops in my area have great tea menus, but the baristas are trained to put ice in the teapots when they make anything other than black tea. I get all this gross old ice flavor in what should be a delicious cup of oolong.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I want to get myself a gaiwan for those good concentrated teas. Is there anything I should know about or look for in one?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

hope and vaseline posted:

The main things to look for in a gaiwan are the capacity that works for you and the thickness of the material. If you're brewing for yourself, an 80-100 ml gaiwan is probably optimal, and if you're brewing for two or more, 150-200 ml is better. Larger gaiwans, I find unwieldy and difficult to pour. A thin-walled porcelain gaiwan will get hotter faster than a thicker-walled ceramic, and will not hold the heat as well if you're gonna push 1 min, 2 min or longer infusions, which naturally is fine for whites/greens/green oolongs. I'd go for a thicker gaiwan for blacks and any kind of puerh.

FWIW I really like these ruyao glazed gaiwans from teaware.house. I use this one almost every day.

https://teaware.house/collections/gaiwan/products/standard-green-ruyao-gaiwan-100ml

Thanks! I'll grab one of these, then. Is this one thick enough for puerhs?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

hope and vaseline posted:

Yep yep, I use mine mostly for pu'. The vendor's china based though, so expect the usual international shipping wait (It's a sister-site of twodog's white2tea.com)

Nice. Just ordered it, now to patiently wait in front of the door for it to arrive. Thanks Hope and Symmetry!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

value-brand cereal posted:

Maybe some pu erh drinkers can advise me on this. I received as a sample from teavivre one of those ball shaped compressed tea spheres. I didn't realize it's rather large, between about 3/4 to one inch on diameter. Like one of them silicon pseudo testes rich people pay to get implanted in their neutered fancy breed dogs.

Do I simply dunk it without a strainer into an entire tea pot? Normally I drink 24 ounces for one session, but I'm not sure 24 ounces is enough or to much. I don't really trust recommended brewing methods as they seem to vary too much, you know. Maybe I should staple it into a coffee filter so it doesn't overstep, and have enough room to bloom.

Specifically it's the chrysanthemum black tea wad. https://m.teavivre.com/product/view/yunnan-chrysanthemum-dragon-ball-black-tea.html

So you can just dunk it, but you'l be picking a bunch of tea leave out of your mouth if you do. What I usually do with one of those is put it in a strainer, briefly wash it with hot water to get the leaves to wake up (dunk it in a cup of hot water then pour that water away), then steep it as normal. Depending on the tea, you might want to steep it for as short as 30 seconds or as long as a few minutes. The cool thing is, however long you steep it, you keep those leaves and resteep them. They'll keep making tea and you'll develop the flavor profile of it as you go.

Enjoy!

EDIT:
Oh and 24 oz is a totally appropriate amount of tea to make with one of those. They're pretty flexible, and you could make anything from a single cup to a whole teapot with one.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm going to Montreal this weekend for my birthday and I'm very excited to revisit Ming Tao Xuan. Last time we were up there, my fiancee and I had some incredible teas, and a really good chat with the owners. I'm thinking about treating myself to some of their teaware this weekend, and definitely grabbing some of their red teas and pu-erhs for my stash.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm looking to buy a thermos or carafe to keep my water hot when I do gong-fu tea so that I don't have to keep putting the kettle on. Unfortunately, there are a bewildering variety of thermoses and most of them seem to not be very good.
Does anyone have a carafe rec?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Alder posted:

I've been drinking tea for awhile but does the tea cozy really improve your exp? I have a small pot and I usually drink 1 large mug of it daily.

A cute tea cozy is a real nice thing to have around the house. Also, if you drink slowly, it keeps your tea nice and warm for hours, which is great to have in the colder months.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Holy poo poo, how are these so cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I usually get through 2-4 pots of black tea a day, but I stop at 4 PM so that I can get to sleep at night.