Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I've been big on tea as long as I've been a goon, and I can't believe I've never seen this thread before.

Canada goons, this is the best tea shop in Calgary: http://www.teatrader.com and they have a decent flat shipping rate anywhere in the country. Their website is pretty early-2000s though. I prefer dealing with them in person because they're always ready to offer samples of brand new/rarer stock and let me know which teas turned out the best each season.

Right now I'm loving their Osmanthus Oolong, the Black Lou Cha Snail Shape (tastes a bit like Assam, which is usually my favorite), and their Silver Needle Ceylon is one of the best I've ever tasted.

Anyway, is there anyone here into black currant tea? It's my husband's favorite, but I've found the selection in Canada pretty hit or miss. I bought a couple when visiting family on Vancouver island. This one actually tastes like black currant: http://winstonstea.com/loose-teas/flavored-black-teas/ and this one was a totally misnamed red currant tea that tastes nothing at all like black currant: https://www.teadesire.com/collections/black-tea/products/black-currant

So I guess what I want to know is what is the most British black currant tea I can get shipped in Canada for fairly cheap that will satisfy my husband's extremely British tastes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

Murchie's has one: https://www.murchies.com/store/fine-tea/tea-type/black-tea/black-currant-tea.html
I haven't tried it, but their stuff is usually good quality.

I'll have to check out that store if I'm ever in Calgary. If I didn't have so much Teavivre stuff left I'd probably order a few of their Chinese teas.

Looks like I should hold off buying tea in Nanaimo before making a trip to all the Victoria tea shops this summer. Anyone know any other shops on the island that are good? I heard the Tea Farm did their first tea harvest (around Duncan? I can't remember exactly), so I'll definitely try some of theirs in the little cafe thing they've got going. I went there the first year they opened and tea had just been planted. I'm curious how the taste of tea would be affected grown on Canadian soil.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I just finished a sample of the Assam Hand Rolled Silver Needle from the Tea Trader, and strangely it tastes so close to Darjeeling I'm thinking I should just save some money buying more Darjeeling. I can get more steepings out of the white tea, but I have to use twice as many leaves to get the same amount of flavor.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Can someone help me identify a pu erh I've had for over ten years? The only English is on the lid, Yunnan Palace Pu Eru Tea. I'd like to know what kind of pu erh it is. It's a cheap one, I know that much, and was unbearably fishy when I bought it, but it's mellowed out since and is quite drinkable.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

I was cold brewing, putting ~4 tablespoons in 32 fl.oz. of cold water and leaving in the fridge for 12 hours. I still have some left, so I am more than willing to give it another shot.

Try cutting the steeping time in half. I have a prickly pear green tea I've been cold brewing because it gets very bitter, and on a first steeping I only give it six hours. To get enough flavor I use twice as many leaves I would brewing hot. Even then the first brew is kind of bitter, so I cut it with a slice of lime.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Can any of you lovely people give me a decent ratio for cold-brewing loose-leaf tea in a 2-quart pitcher? I used to use pre-measured Tazo packs but apparently they don't sell them any more. I bought some La La Lemon from David's Tea because it smelled super good but when I asked the associate how much to use to cold-brew she looked at me like she had no idea.

General rule of thumb is twice as much tea you'd use brewing normally. I go for 2 tsp to 1 cup, so 2 quarts is about 16 tsp (and more for the stale teas I'm trying to use up).

ulvir posted:

I was gonna recommend Yunnan Sourcing, but it seems most of their white and blue gaiwans are mostly too big (probably?) being over 150ml, for the most part, plus their stuff isn't quite as nice as Teaware.House's. This one is gorgeous, though. If I didn't have small hands or it was a tad smaller, I'd almost impulse buy this + some tea to balance shipping costs https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/gaiwans/products/jade-porcelain-koi-frolicking-gaiwan-for-gong-fu-tea-1

OMG I've been searching all over for a large gaiwan to match my white and blue fish cups. Thank you for linking that

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Jhet posted:

I use at least 0.5 oz for 2L/2qt pitchers. This is measured by weight and varies up by the tea I'm cold brewing. You can double it for concentrated tea that you'll end up diluting a lot, but do not add ice and just drink it straight from the fridge, so adjust my weights accordingly for your tastes.

Or make ice cubes from the tea as well, if your fridge doesn't get it as cold as you like.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I want to thank everyone who recommended Murchies. I finally got to check out their shop in downtown Victoria, and it was heaven. If I was rich enough to live in Victoria, I'd go to their cafe every day until I was broke.

Their black currant is also the best I've ever had.

On the other hand, the nearby Silk Road shop was really off-putting. Way too much focus on Wellness and aromatherapy bullshit, and I hate tea shops that sell by tin size instead of weight--always makes me wonder how much the prices are inflated. I dunno, people in this thread said their online shop is all right though. How are their teas really in terms of quality for the price?

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 25, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Trip Report: the Westholme Tea Farm https://www.westholmetea.com is pricy, but worth it if you want to try some Canadian-grown tea. At $20 a pot, I couldn't afford to try all their home-grown teas, so I picked their white tea to get the best sense of the tea's terroir: slightly woody and nutty with a sweet, slightly creamy finish. I told the server it tasted exactly like the sweet country air around there, and she got so excited over my tasting notes I'm pretty sure she's going to use that description on all her customers from now on, lol.

Unfortunately it's $35 for 10 g of that tea, and I've already bought too much tea on this trip, so maybe next year. I'm also going to try their oolong next time.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I'm curious as to what people do to add fruit flavors to iced tea. I've found dunking fresh fruit in there disappointing, and I'm starting to wonder if all those recipes I've seen are just adding it for the aesthetics of it rather than taste. I mean, why try to steep fruit when you can just squeeze the juice out of it into the tea?

Also trying to shove dried oranges into a cheap cold-brewed green tea did nothing but add gross chunks of tasteless bloated orange to it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I don't know if I should :nws: this (weirdly expensive) teacup, but I can't not link this: https://thenakedleaf.ca/collections/tea-cups/products/copy-of-andrew-tarrent

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Has anyone else here tried Kenyan purple tea? I bought a sample from Murchies and I'm trying this suggestion on brewing: http://www.gongfugirl.com/experiments-with-purple-tea/

160 F seems a really low temperature, but I let it cool to that with a thermometer anyway, since my first time with a tea I might as well follow the instructions. My first steeping is kinda weak, but then I didn't rinse leaves with boiling water first. I'm using one teaspoon per cup, as suggested. It has very much a white tea taste, and I'm not quite catching the grape notes it's supposed to have.

Edit: it does have kind of a grape aftertaste, and it's highly astringent like a dry wine.

Maybe the second steeping will be better. I'll report back later.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

An update on that Kenyan purple tea:

- Doing the second steeping at exactly the same time and temperature as the first, as suggested in that link I posted, brewed an even weaker cup.
- Doing a third steeping for seven minutes using boiling water, also as suggested, brewed such an astringent cup, drinking it was like being punched in the mouth with a sweatsock-covered fist.

So I need to even things out a bit somehow. Maybe I'll try giving them a proper hot rinse before the first steeping and make the second steeping a little longer.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for brewing a 4 yr old Singpho Falap tea? It's an Assam cake packed and smoked in bamboo, and at first guess I'd treat it like a pu erh, but I'm not sure the best temperature to brew it. I've only ever had cheap shengs.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to brew Golden Yunnan Special Grade? It's 100% bud but I think it's processed like a black like other golden Yunnans

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Just in general. I tend to either do large leaf teas like this in my large Finum infuser in a huge mug or throw the leaves directly in a small teapot. I'll start it at 85C for a two minute steeping and adjust from there. Thanks!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Weltlich posted:

Would someone be kind enough as to recommend me a high-quality infuser?

I drink mostly rooibos tea, and literally drink it by the half gallon jug-full. I also tend to buy the stuff in bulk, and loose since it's the best value. To that end, I have a cheap-o ball infuser with screen-mesh siding, but the clasp as the back-end of the infuser is pretty loose, and tends to allow a significant portion of the rooibos "leaf" through, resulting in lots of floating botanicals in my tea. I still drink it, but I'd prefer it if the "leaves" stayed in the infuser.

My requirement, beyond it just being well made, is that it needs to hold at least 2 TBS of loose tea.

This is the Finum filter I use and it's wonderful: https://www.amazon.com/Finum-63-421-70-00-Universal-Filter/dp/B002WB12I4

Though I bought it at a tea shop (Murchies) for less than $15 CDN, so I'm sure you could find a better deal on it somewhere else

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I've never tried yellow tea before, but an interesting one just came into my local tea shop here: https://mrmaxeystea.com/product/honeyfairyland-yellow/

I'm trying out these steeping recommendations: https://teatimemetime.com/honey-fairyland-1st-grade-yellow-tea-by-puer-zuxiang-highmountain-tea-garden-co/

I have to say this tea is incredible. Definitely picking up the creamy honey notes, even on the first steeping.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

virinvictus posted:

What's a good price-to-quality ratio for tea? How far is too far when it comes to price? I'm talking Assam, Ceylon, or Yunnan. Mostly.

I've spent $100 on tea easily at David's Tea, I just spent $170 at Camellia Sinensis. I just wanna find a happy medium so my fiance doesn't murder me in my sleep for killing our budget on tea.

David’s Tea is usually overpriced for what you’re getting. I only buy their stuff on sale, and use my free 50g when I get enough points to get their most expensive teas, since they took the price cap off their frequent steeper bonus.

I pay about $30 CDN for a pound of Irish Breakfast from Murchies as my staple breakfast tea, and that lasts me almost half a year since I drink my fancier teas the rest of the day. I try to wait for their sales as well.

I found the best way to drink fine tea on a budget is to choose higher priced teas that you know will steep multiple times. Oolongs and pu erh, as well as greens and whites and yellow teas, will steep at least 4 times with full flavor, unfurling teas like tie guan yin or milk oolong 6 times or more, and pu erh ten or more.

Quality darjeeling and assam, usually the kind with long rolled leaves, I’ve steeped 3 times with full flavor as well, and the new darjeeling oolongs coming out can steep about 4-5 times.

The trick is to steep the tea on the lower end (both temperature and time) of what’s recommended. On first steeping, assam 3 minutes, darjeeling 1.5 minutes, oolongs I give 2-3, then increase subsequent steepings by 30 seconds.

I also figure out how many cups of tea I’m going to manage during the day, depending on if I’m doing a lot of running around or have time to chug cup after cup, and choose my tea accordingly so I don’t waste a 6-steeping tea on a 3 cup day.

I get samples from my local tea shop (Tea Trader—way better prices than David’s) whenever they bring in new stock, and lately they’ve been bringing in a lot of unusual, high quality teas. They give me three free samples and I pay for the rest, 15 g for expensive teas and 25 g for the less expensive ones. 15 g is enough to get three tries at steeping a new tea for best flavor, and the next time I buy my favorite out of the lot. I get to try a lot of fancy teas that way, even though I’m a filthy poor.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 23, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Green teas have started giving me a stomach ache. I just bought a nice mao feng and a mao jian and I can barely drink them. Would cold brewing tone down the acidity or whatever else is getting to me?

I don’t have a problem with other teas like white, black, oolong, or pu erh. Why would it just be green tea that bothers me all of a sudden?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Cold-brewed honeybush is also fantastic.

Also I cold-brewed the mao feng, but 12 hours is far too long to leave it and it ended up going bitter. It’s fine with a bit of honey and lemon, but I think next time I better taste it at 8 hrs and go from there.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I made a big jug of iced tea today and then my tangerine pu erh from Teavivre arrived and I wanna drink it now but there’s no way I can get every good steeping out of it before the end of the day, so I’m just gonna like huff it or something while drinking iced earl gray.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

Huh, that's a neat tip, I'll have to put in another order at some point i'm in the mood for taiwanese tea. While I'm hear, since I'm not very familiar with the Indian tea market--a friend is looking for a good Darjeeling-style tea minus the slave labor and I have absolutely no idea where to begin looking. Surely there's some estate somewhere which is willing to treat the labor better and charge more for it, but maybe I'm being too optimistic about human nature?

Try looking for small/family growers. My local tea shop gets teas from here: https://www.tealeaftheory.com/know-our-farmers/

Also, not a darjeeling, but the Latumoni Assam is divine. I like the Mandal Gaon as well. They do a nice darjeeling oolong.

Edit, also I’ve been awaiting a shipment from Teavivre, an extra week because they accidentally shipped my package to Australia lol. Though they’re higher priced than Yunnan Sourcing, when you factor in shipping costs they seem to come out to about the same. Does YS ever do free shipping deals to Canada at all? Because I’ve stuck with Teavivre due to that but YS has way more selection.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 5, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I just got 500g of jasmine oolong from Teavivre due to the mixup (where my order accidentally got shipped to Australia and the Australian person’s to me), and I’m not big on jasmine either. I also got 200g of osmanthus oolong for free in this mystery package, which is nice, and some nice high-end oolong samples. It came at the the same time as my reshipped order, which is mostly pu erh. So this Australian oolong fan accidentally got a bunch of pu erh for free as well, lol.

But what am I gonna do with this 500g of jasmine oolong? I have no idea

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

chunkles posted:

blend it with something else until the jasmine tastes good.

or if you dont like jasmine at all, toss it, no shame in that :shrug: the only tea i ever tossed out was some nasty mint stuff.

I have had a nice blend of jasmine and lapsang souchong hmm...

I think what I’ll do is keep one 100g package to blend and turn into jasmine and lime iced tea next summer, then give away the other four bags to people who might appreciate it rather than letting it go to waste.

I’m usually loathe to throw out tea, but I also had to throw out a nasty mint tea because it tasted like they’d just soaked black tea in mint extract. And needing space on my multiple tea shelves finally drove me to throw out the crap Chinese teas I bought 15 years ago—what I had left of that cheapass jasmine in the orange tin seen in literally every asian supermarket, a gunpowder tea that tasted like dirt no matter how I brewed it (even cold), and a cheap shou pu erh that never stopped tasting entirely of fish

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Heath posted:

Jasmine and lapsang doesn't sound like a good mix, but I'm intrigued, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

It was indeed a very odd mix, but with only a hint of each it actually worked. I tried it once from here: https://www.murchies.com/store/queen-victoria-tea.html

Definitely not a daily drinker

I’m up for any other jasmine combo suggestions for sure

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

taters posted:

Every year I order some first-flush Darjeeling. This year I went with Vadham, who seem to mostly sell on Amazon.

They ship directly from India to Amazon's fulfillment network; its definitely the freshest black I've ever had.

It was probably the best Darjeeling I've had since I started ordering them, and will likely use them for most/all of my loose black teas. I'll still get Yorkshire Gold in bags.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/14139201011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VAHDAM

You can also order direct from their site. Though I haven’t tried them yet, I’ve been meaning to for a while.

https://www.vahdam.com/

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I associate chamomile with the smell of apples enough that adding milk to that isn’t gonna taste good

Also I once tried making a latte out of a herbal tea that had hibiscus in it and the acidity made the milk curdle instantly :barf:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I work at Starbucks, and with the keto craze there have been people who ask for a Passion Tango tea (which is mostly hibiscus, lemongrass, and rose hips) shaken with heavy cream and sugar free vanilla. It looks like Greek yogurt by the time we finish shaking it but it doesn't taste terrible. The texture makes me gag though.

The one I tried that with was David’s strawberry rhubarb parfait because it was already slightly milky with yogurt flavoring in it, only to find on the package afterwards the warning “not for latte” oops

Johnny Truant posted:

Can do. It says "oolong milk tea" and has a photo of very creamy looking tea, so who knows :shrug:

Milk oolong is a special breed of tea plant that has a natural creamy taste and texture. Jin Xuan is the original and has no added flavorings: https://www.teavivre.com/jin-xuan-milk-oolong-tea.html It’s so delicious on it’s own that adding milk to it would just overpower its natural flavors, especially since it tends to be processed as a green oolong rather than a darker one.

However some milk oolongs are a weaker batch of milk oolong with milk flavoring added to it: https://www.teavivre.com/jin-xuan-tea-flavored.html so you have to check whether “lactose” is listed in the ingredients to know if it’s the pure tea or not. Since Teavivire sells both it was easy to compare.

Guang Zhou is a region in China where they imported the Taiwanese milk oolong tea species, so it also tends to be legit as well.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

That is just fine! I'm really glad you found one you like!

Now I have a question though. What exactly is the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish Breakfast teas? I've tried all three and haven't been able to figure it out, and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

From the brands and blends I’ve tasted, including Twinings, English breakfast is pretty standard orange pekoe flavor (mostly Ceylons) whereas Irish breakfast is heavier on maltier Assams. Scottish breakfast seems to vary more from blend to blend but it tends to be stronger, sometimes having a bit of smoky lapsang souchong added to it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

All right! I don't know much about black teas (I prefer flavored blends and green teas), but I like Irish Breakfast, so maybe I'd like Assams?

That’s a safe bet. Irish breakfast is still my breakfast tea of choice and Assams are some of my favorites, along with Yunnans (which also tend to be assamicas)

This is my absolute favorite Assam right now: https://mrmaxeystea.com/product/latumoni-summer-royal-tippy-gold/
It’s a little on the pricier end (though that’s in CAD) but it’s so worth it because a big robust assamica like that can be resteeped all afternoon, and it starts out with this bright sweet malty flavor that’s glorious.

Similar tasting Chinese teas (honey, chocolate, malt flavor profiles) I love are ones like these:
https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html
https://www.teavivre.com/organic-red-snail-black-tea.html
https://www.teavivre.com/black-dragon-pearl.html
https://www.teavivre.com/golden-monkey-black-tea.html

Edit: I really love rolled teas for some reason

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 30, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I’ve been drinking my milk oolong grandpa style these days, which is just dropping the leaves in a mug and refilling it with hot water (about 190) when there’s still about 1/3-1/4 of the mug left. With a big leaf tea like that you never have to strain them through your teeth and the flavor keeps going all day. Though I use enough leaf to almost fill the mug. That’s why I started doing it that way, because no strainer I have is big enough to not compress such gigantic leaves when I’m using 5g or more

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Phreow, that seems like a lot of tea leaves, filling up the mug! I just kind of eyeballed it myself this morning as, like you said, it's a big leaf and I can't really measure teaspoons of it that easily. Is oolong a tea where using more leaves is kind of the norm? I upped the amount of green tea leaves I was using a few days ago and it was toeing the line of being a little too bitter.

I should probably mention I usually drink out of 16 oz mugs, but yeah 5g of milk oolong open up to fill it more than halfway, those leaves get so big. I think that’s about 2 teaspoons dry (could be more because I use a cha ze scoop that’s a bit bigger). I get six or more mugs out of it and it never gets too bitter if I’m using cooler water. If the oolong is a greener one I go down to about 180-190 degrees. A dark oolong about 195-205 degrees. For green teas, you definitely want to go lower to avoid any bitterness. If in doubt, I always go lower and have had mostly success that way, grandpa style or with an infuser

A variable temperature kettle has made brewing tea so much easier... and a scale. Best investments I’ve made out of all my tea things

Also Teavivre is having another sale. My poor wallet :negative:

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 31, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Here’s an example of how much a tea can expand in a gaiwan. I brewed one of these giant white ball teas gongfu style (it was 9g in a 4oz gaiwan) https://www.teavivre.com/moonlight-dragon-ball-white-tea.html

First steeping at 50s (longer than you would for a typical fermented pu-erh, also because it was in such a tight ball)

This was steeping 5 or 6

By 9 or 10 there was still dry leaves tightly bound in the center, so I had to pull it apart with my tea pick

This is about 15, and it completely filled the gaiwan

It still had more in it. I kept going for a bit but eventually gave up because it went into the evening and I was getting a little tired of it. In retrospect this is one to drink grandpa style in my 16 oz mug instead of doing it proper gongfu style, unless I have company

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 1, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Teavivire is having sales all the way until black friday https://www.teavivre.com/info/best-promotion-up-45-off.html I already did an order at the beginning of the month aaaaaaaaaa

https://www.teavivre.com/black-friday-sale.html

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Heath posted:

If your workplace is anything like mine, drinking tea that doesn't come in a bag already makes you look like a psycho

Everybody makes fun of my gaiwan :arghfist::(

Monsters

How do you manage a gaiwan at work though? I can barely integrate it into working from home without the tea-making completely taking over and getting not much work done at all.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Trabant posted:

Can anyone hazard a guess for a reasonable delivery time for a Teavivre order to US/Texas? It's been 3 weeks since I got the original "it's on its way" email and the tracking still says just "Your order is in transit."

It’s a month tops for regular mail to North America. Also they send an email to confirm if your packaged arrived safely as soon as it registers as delivered. If they used China Post tracking, I’ve taken the tracking number to the actual China Post website and used google translate on the results with more success than the Teavivre tracking page.

Lately they’ve been registering my packages with Canada Post, ever since they accidentally mixed up my order with someone from Australia. They were really good about sending a replacement for my order fast. It arrived at the same time as the Australian person’s order and they let me keep all the extra tea and gave me extra reward points for the inconvenience.

So even if something happened to your order, their customer service is excellent and they’re quick about fixing poo poo. You could probably contact them now if tracking through China Post turns up nothing helpful.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I know shou pu-erh is supposed to be brewed at 100C, and that Royal Pu-erh is a shou as well, but shengs brew at 95C, so if you’re getting bitterness you could try taking it down to a slightly lower temperature. You can also try decreasing the steeping time. I’ve had a few really bitter shengs that turned out much better when treated more delicately.

My tea haul from Teavivre arrived, along with my first full cakes ever.

I’m trying the smaller cake first, the Fengqing Chun Yun Ripened Pu-er 2006

A bit of dust in the rinse, but not too bad for a first pry

At first the aroma was leather and wood, and the first sips were a bit astringent and tangy, but it immediately mellowed out into an almost fruity sweet taste with a bit of wood and umami. The texture is nice and silky, though not as thick as the more expensive shou cakes I’ve tried. It’s a really good buy for $17.

The other big cake is the Big Snow Mountain raw pu-erh. I had a sample of it, and for a young sheng it’s already complex with lots of tobacco notes. It’s a 2017 so I plan on putting it away for a while.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 12, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I have a kettle I can program in 5 degree increments, but before that I used a thermometer. When the tea doesn’t come with recommended temperatures on the website or packaging, I search for similar teas online that do have time/temperature suggestions. Failing that I go by variety and adjust by trial and error.

The thing about some of those cheat sheets is whites, yellows, greens, and oolongs can taste best at a huge range of temperatures. Like the Yunnan whites on Teavivre have 95C recommendations, while others need super low temperatures like 70C. Darker oolongs seem to brew better at 95C, which is black tea temperature (I only do shou pu-erh at 100C), while green oolongs I go down to 80C.

Also I love chocolatey Yunnan teas, though I find that note most prominent in their black teas.

The Guangxi Liu Bao Cha Dark Tea I got was actually the one I tried first out that tea haul. It’s not a true pu-erh but processed like one, so it borders on tasting like a shou. I found it really mellow and sweet, almost fruity. Actually quite similar to the cake I’m drinking now, but this cake seems a little more thick and complex.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

When I used to smoke pipe tobacco, there were all sorts of alcohol-flavored blends that were very tasty. I’ve also tried grenadine, Irish cream, and ice wine flavored teas, so whiskey barrel aged sounds interesting to me.