Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I will second David's Tea in Canada as well. I've gone to their Sherway Gardens location once or twice. I usually drink non-flavoured teas, but I ended up trying 50g of their pumpkin chai tea (I've kicked sugar and therefore won't touch Starbucks' pumpkin spice latte anymore). The next time I went (I live an hour away), I ended up buying a whole 100g tin of it.

I usually end up going to Teaopia, though, since I end up going more to Waterloo. I'm not sure if they're better than David's Tea, but they're not too bad. If you buy at least 250g of tea, they give you a 10% discount, and 15% if you buy 500g. Last time I went there, an employee told me that they give further discounts if you bring in their tea cans for your tea. Not sure if the former applies online (I doubt the latter will), but they also ship free if you buy $50 worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

adventure in the sandbox posted:

This is something that David's Tea does too. I have brought in airtight glass jars and tins from other loose tea companies and saved $1 off each purchase! The staff are great and warned me to keep my glass jars in a cupboard away from the sun. I already knew this, but I thought it was good of them to try to protect my $15 purchase of tea.

Really? That's pretty awesome. Next time I go there, I'm bringing my old Twinings cans. I remember the girl at Teaopia told me that it had to be one of their tins, so if David's Tea takes any tins, that'll be great.

I have another question: what's the best way to remove an aroma from a used tea tin? I washed my cans in hot soapy water (and let it soak first), but they still sort-of smell like apple pie. It's not really something I'm worried about, but if there's really an answer, I'd like to know.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

For Canadian tea-loving goons, Teaopia has apparently been bought out (or something to that effect) by Teavana. I happened to find this out by visiting a Teaopia while out-of-town, and I noticed their store was almost empty. There isn't much left, and I don't know how long or what stock they'll have locally (I was at the one in Waterloo, and it had only four teas they were trying to get rid of), but they have a number of teas they're trying to off-load at a 75% discount. Not all their teas, mind you; I bought some Masala Chai which was full-price.

Like I said, there wasn't much selection, so I only got a Lapsang Souchong because the others didn't interest me and because my tea cabinet is full. But they also had spring-steepers, and collapsible silicone steepers and a few other accessories, including cheap tins (though they only had the very small ones left in Waterloo), for less than a buck each. I can't guarantee how long it'll last since the store looked pretty much empty, but it might be worth a look.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Eeyo posted:

To be fair, steeping for long times is how the russians make tea, so it's not guaranteed to make a bad cup. But then again, I think they use black tea and they dilute it afterwards. I think the turks do it the same way too, plus they've got the cutest cups.

As far as I know, they dilute it and I think add sugar.

I was in Poland for two weeks in 2011 with my dad, visiting his side of the family. He has a cousin that sort-of does this: he keeps a small tea kettle with a few bags of black tea in the kitchen, and whenever he wants tea, he pours a shot of the concentrated tea in a mug, pours in hot water, and adds a teaspoon of sugar.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

ulvir posted:

just pick up any ol' pot you can find, either glazed porcelain or glass, and buy an additional strainer if the pot comes without a basket infuser. no need to break the bank if "all" you want is a cup of earl grey or something similar. just avoid cast iron pots, they have a tendency to make the tea taste burnt.

I even bought a cheap french press as my first teapot. It was lousy for coffee, but pretty good for tea.