Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty new to the whole tea thing, so forgive me if some of these questions are silly.

My mom gave me an old school porcelain teapot with one of those mesh stainers you hold over the cup as you pour, along with a tin of loose leaf twinings English breakfast. She got them as a gift but isn't really into tea.

I've made a few cups so far, and it tastes a million times better than the Lipton bags I've been using. You don't see much loose leaf tea in stores around here, so I didn't really know what I was missing.
I love the teapot, but the tea usually ends up oversteeping and getting too bitter before I can finish the pot. Should I be steeping in one pot and then pouring it into another to serve?

Which brewing method works best? Bodum pots/presses, the ingenuitea, tea balls, strainers, removable in-pot infusers? It's kind of bewildering at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I had some pu-erh tea for the first time today at a friends house. I think it was from adagio. I finished the cup just to be polite, but it seriously loving sucked. It tasted like some weird combination of hay, dirt, or compost, and it had a slight fishy undertone.

Is this typical of pu-erh teas, or was it just lovely or improperly brewed tea?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a bag of loose leaf masala chai mix, but it didn't come with any directions. What's the best way to brew it up? Steep it in hot water, then add milk/sugar, or simmer it in a water/milk mixture in a saucepan?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

Assuming you have a garbage disposal, its just as easy as rinsing it out a couple of times. Maybe once every 2 months I will soak it in a water/bleach solution and then throw it in the dishwasher at home, since the inside/strainer do get stained.

Is that Tritan plastic stuff safe to bleach? I went to clean my moms ingenuitea with bleach the other day and she started flipping out about bleach degrading the plastic and leeching chemicals into her tea.