Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I picked up some Finum medium steeping baskets and they are, hands down, the best way to make just one cup of tea, especially if you use a lot of really large leaf teas like Jasmine Pearls. Normally when I'm in a hurry I would have waited to bust out my tea pot and things to make that, but now it's something I can do with my toast in the morning.

On a similar subject, what are people's favourite white teas? Silver Needle is of course the classic, but I'm wondering what else is out there worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Just got back from the tea vendor £25 poorer but with a bunch of Gunpowder, Russian Caravan, White Ring and Silver Needle. gently caress yes.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Does anyone know a reliable web store in the UK where I'd be able to get quality silver needle/other stuff? I normally go to a market stall, but they've not had silver needle in ages and I need my loving fix, man.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jhet posted:

@Cymbal Monkey

Fluo just posted about two good sites. Jing tea seems to have what you're looking for.

Danke!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I know there's a huge amount of counterfeiting in the Pu-erh world, can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of high-end pu-erh, for if I wanted to get a brick and stash it away for a decade or so?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

While I'm at it, what can people recommend for a fan of earthy red Pu-erh, mid to high-end.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

This is grand, thanks mate!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm using bags because I'm lazy.

Am I right to get a fresh tea bag with every cup? I assume it's given up most of what it has, but I don't want to be unnecessarily wasteful.

Bag tea is cut quite fine so you get a pretty full extraction with very little tea, so yeah, probably not worth steeping, but I guess what I'd really say is try it, if it's not strong enough for you on a re-steeping, it's not worth while, if it tastes alright, it's not like the tea-goons can think any worse of someone who drinks bagged-tea. ;)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Tea balls are pretty bad and annoying to use. Go with a basket infuser. I'm personally not an earl grey/british tea person in general but I've heard pretty good things about Upton's selection. Keep in mind the bergamot flavoring, no matter if you're infusing with bags or loose leaf, will generally be spent on the first steep, like most flavored teas.

I'm seconding the Finum brewing basket. I have five (just in case one day I have friends) and I adore them. Very easy to clean and brews a great cup of tea.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I'll also give the mesh basket a thumbs up. The problem with the drilled stainless or wire baskets is if you are using a fine cut leaf it can get through the holes.

Taylors of Harrogate also do some good quality "off the shelf" tea but I'm not sure how popular they are across the pond.

Or worse, course cut leaves don't have enough space to unravel, so you get no water flow.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Hello tea thread, I just got back from China with some goodies! I knew I wanted to buy some pu-erh's in China and I ended up picking up two and discovered that they're now doing aged white tea cakes, which were fascinating and very delicious. I also picked up my first yixing pot, which was on the cheaper end, but it's legit clay (had it examined by someone, not the person I bought it from).

Anyways, here they are, 2015, 2013 and 2006, left to right, and then the pictures are in that same order.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jhet posted:

^^ This is apparently the tea thread not the coffee thread and Scaramouche posting here threw me entirely.

For penance in my thread confusion, I got a postcard in the mail that TeaSource is adding a Free Finium filter to orders over $30 until Oct 15. Use PCFILTER17 at checkout. It is the small one, but I have two that I use frequently that are at least six years old and still in great shape. Some light discoloration to the plastic, but nothing too terrible. I know there are others in this thread that really like this infuser as well.

It's this one:
https://www.teasource.com/collections/tea-infusers/products/small-finum-stainless-steel-tea-infuser

It looks like they have some Japanese greens on sale this month too.

I adore those little Finum filters, I have four of them. When I just want a big cup of assam and I'm not feeling like faffing with pu-erh cakes and gong-fu and poo poo, this is where I go.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Had an interesting guy in today. He was representing Klub from Taiwan, they make an espresso-like machine just for brewing tea. Here's some dude's youtube of doing it:

It's commercial only mostly but it was an interesting idea. They might send us a machine to try out and I guess I'll let you tea heads know how it goes.

Why though? A Finum basket and a cup is like £10, a gaiwan can be gotten for a fiver, both work brilliantly. What on earth is the point of this machine?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

unless the tea world goes collectively insane and suddenly starts doing "more $$$ = better than" like the espresso world.

Have you seen Teachat.com's discussions about yixing clay grades?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

I imagine high end tea is just like the audiophile world really. It's nicer to stay in the mid-grade level and splurge for some 90s puerh samples once in a while :)

I would do some hosed up poo poo to get hold of some bud heavy 90s shengs.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Abilizer posted:

I've recently discovered I really like tea and want to buy a kettle for home. Searching reviews I'm having a hard time finding one that won't rust/melt/leech chemicals after apparently short lengths of time at every price point. Even brands that usually coincide with high quality. I'd love something pretty but at this point I'll just take something functional I won't have to replace every few months. I'm okay with spending a good chunk of money on a kettle if it's really worth the price but a kettle that's more than $100 should last years, not months. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

I have this one and I've been very happy with it. The price is right, the temperature control is fairly accurate, it doesn't drip down the side, has dry boil protection. It's a solid little kettle.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Does black tea not lend itself to multiple steepings well? I bought some Turkish black and the leaves are tiny to my previous ones (Chinese green chun mee), and the second steeping yielded a lot less color. Or maybe I needed to add more leaves, but hmm

Turkish tea is (technically speaking) trash. The leaves are small and broken to bit and generally very low grade. They'll steep fully in very short order and go bitter before you know it. Better Chinese blacks can be steeped 8 or 9 times and still be very enjoyable. I'm not making GBS threads on you for enjoying Turkish tea, mind, but the leaves are very low quality and won't hold up like high grade leaves will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Question and story time, tea goons.

This past summer I went to Taiwan - I posted about this in the thread above - and grabbed a modest haul of bulk teas from a Taiwanese tea shop. I repacked a bunch of it and gave it to friends and coworkers.

Among this haul was a smallish amount of something called "Oriental Beauty" - that's the name I have for it, as the employees in the shop spoke minimal English, and we communicated via written numerals and them pointing at signs on which I used Google camera translate for the most part. The salesman described it in broken English as "mix white and green tea... little worm - butterfly worm - it go on tea plant, and it nibble." I'll supply a picture if necessary, but it's smallish loose leaf pieces containing a mix of deep green, golden brown, and white flakes. It tastes light and earthy, in that it has a light black tea flavour with otherwise green tea characteristics and few tannin notes.

Anyway my coworker loves this Oriental Beauty tea and she's trying to figure out how to get more, but I can't find anything that has that name which looks remotely like it.

Anyone able to help me find some more of something like this?

Sounds like it could be a Gui Fei or Dongfang Meiren/Baihao, both of which are styles of insect nibbled oolongs, and both of which are worth your time.