Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What are some good teas for cold brewing regular old iced tea? I've been hooked on iced tea from Quik Trip for years but recently moved to a place without any QT's and haven't found anything comparable so I'm going to start brewing my own. I bought a couple of these brewers and will be starting with the breakfast teas I already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Try different teas in a variety you already like, then try making them cold. The more you try, the better of an idea you'll have when it comes to origin and style of leaf. Don't go buying anything that's $20/4oz or anything, but $6-10/4oz is a good place to start. There are a bunch of links to online tea shops in the OP, and most of them have good black teas to try. Without knowing what kind of tea you like, it's really hard to give recommendations, but this one is pretty decent and cheap enough to drink it a lot https://www.teasource.com/collections/china-black-teas/products/teasource-classic-iced-tea-black-tea .

Same for the greens, but I'm really in love with the ones TeaVivre has had the last couple years. Chinese greens not Japanese, but there are plenty of other shops that carry Japanese greens to make iced.

I should mention that TeaVivre is giving away free samples for a couple more days. No purchase necessary I think?

Cold brewing is super easy, just add water and pop it into your fridge overnight and remove the leaves when you're happy with the flavor.

So I went ahead and bought the classic iced tea and a few other varieties from Teasource. I'm actually a bit surprised in the flavor differences between them. I ordered a few more types yesterday to take advantage of their black friday sale and a coupon they sent me with my first order.

How many round teaspoons should I be using for a 2 quart cold brew setup? I've been using anywhere between 6-8 and haven't really noticed any differences between the different amounts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

It does make me wonder what would be a genuine "OK, you're probably drinking too much tea" threshold.

Going by caffeine alone, the max daily recommendation (~400mg) would be... 10-ish cups of black tea per day? I think at that level my bladder would give me some early indications to knock it off.

I pretty much drink iced tea in place of water and there are probably days where I easily hit the "too much tea" threshold.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My only experience with pu'er is some sample that Tea Source sent me with an order. It actually really upset my stomach and made me nauseous. I threw it out.

I drink caffeine pretty much all day. Hot tea in the morning, iced tea throughout the rest of the day with an Americano thrown in there somewhere while at work. I'm sure it fucks up my sleeping but I'm still alive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

gamingCaffeinator posted:

An update on the cold-brewed iced tea: one ounce of tea for 2 quarts of water results in exactly the strength I was looking for, so thank you to whichever goon suggested that!! Gonna have to remember that.

e: upon looking, it was Jhet suggesting using .5 oz or doubling it for stronger tea to dilute more, so thank you Jhet!

Let me know how it goes if you re steep that. Because I've had no success with trying to re steep cold Brew tea and that's a shitload of tea to burn on a pitcher.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I brew my own iced tea at home. Recently I noticed some batches would have a bad taste/smell to them at some point.

I'm pretty sure that's the culprit, what the hell is it? It settles out immediately after brewing and is fine if it's just chilling at the bottom. If it gets dispersed at all it's immediately noticeable through taste and smell. It seems to mainly happen with one variety I've used, but I've had it happen with several to varying degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

Are you using a specific blend? Do you make it in the same container every time?

The biggest offender is the Upton Iced Tea Blend. Same kettle but I rotate between 2 pitchers, generally using one for a week before it goes into the dishwasher and then I grab the other. It happens with both pitchers. On days where I work I'll brew tea and then take it to work in this and it seems to get worse in that somehow.

e: I use these to brew

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 26, 2019