Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I'm relatively new to the whole tea scene (only really got into drinking it a year and a half or so ago). I get my stuff from either Adagio or Upton (I think Upton has better prices).

I use an electric kettle for heating water that automatically shuts off when it reaches boiling and tea bags/strainer, making a single cup at a time. I do have an ingenuiTEA if I have something really nice I want to EXPERIENCE instead of just drink. It's a little annoying to clean out but it does what it does perfectly.

Adagio's tea bags tend to change the flavor of the tea to something really "off", despite their claims that it doesn't do so. Maybe I got a bad box or something, I dunno. I use them for cheapish daily morning-breakfast tea, but I don't think I'll get more once I'm done with this batch. Not recommended.

I present a question to you all: When you drink tea, do you usually eat anything with it? I know there's tea cakes and cookies and crumpets and all, but would you drink it with, say, a fast food meal, a pizza, anything of that sort? I tend to have mine by itself without food (I go to soda for that) since I find the preparation time to be a hassle when I'm wanting to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Goddamn posted:

Nothing wrong with microwaving tea water as far as I know.
I wonder if microwaving water would help get it to the right temperature for greens/white teas easier? A bit of patience with a thermometer and surely you'd eventually figure out how many minutes/second it takes to get it to X degrees. Write the time down and there you go.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Are there any good 'decaf' teas? I know the answer is probably no, its just that when it comes to tea I really can't stand things that have an overly flowery or fruity bouquet, so I typically don't drink hearbal 'tea' and haven't tried many rooibos either. I would just like something that tastes like a classic black or green tea that I could drink at 10pm and then not lay awake in bed for 5 hours afterwards because of it.

Upton and Adagio have some decaffeinated teas, but I swear I read somewhere that the second+ steepings of most teas have much less caffeine than the first.

I don't think tea has enough caffeine in it to keep you up for very long, though. It's no cup of coffee or even a can of soda.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

QuentinCompson posted:

The former. I'm yet to be truly disappointed with an Upton tea, but I haven't sampled their entire catalogue or anything.

I'm not sure if it's physically possible to sample their entire catalog before you die. There's just unreal amounts of stuff. It's definitely my "main" tea store now (since I have no tea shops anywhere near me physically) since it has good quality at fair prices.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
If tea's been around longer than several months, will it ever truly "go bad", or just lose flavor? I have a hard time finishing even 100g in a reasonable timeframe, and I think I have a tin that's a year old or so now...how should I approach this problem (aside from drinking more tea, trust me, I'm trying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I love shopping at Upton but I have a terrible problem: Their smallest bag size that isn't a sample tends to be 100 grams. I am but a mortal man who goes through a cup or two of tea a day. I can get through a bag in less than 3 months if I "try hard", but I feel like I'm wasting a shitload of tea when I'm only partially started on it before it degrades, and it's even worse if I find two nice flavors I really like.

How do I handle a ridiculous surplus like this? Find a place that sells in more appropriate quantities? A really, really good preservation method?