Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

I got some mugicha, sencha, and genmaicha for summer cold brewing, then on a whim got some amaranth tea as well.

Has anyone tried cold brewing this type of floral tea before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

graybook posted:

Maybe I should go for something like that. I picked up an H&F Belx bottle over a year ago where the steeping cage is at the bottom so that it's always in contact with the water, but I don't like that as much. I think the design's better for like, infusing water with flavor versus brewing tea in it.

Yeah, that bottle design is better for cold brewed coffee or tea. I use mine to make cold sencha or genmaicha by just leaving it in the fridge overnight.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

I'll be travelling to Tokyo at the end of the month, and I'd like to stock up on sencha and hojicha while I'm there. I prefer cold-brewing my loose-leaf tea, so I'm not sure that getting the higher-end stuff will be worth it, though.

Do you guys have any shop or brand recommendations? Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Go to any of the high-end department stores and look for the tea counter in the basement where all the food stalls are--the "flagship" department stores (Isetan in Shinjuku, Mitsukoshi in Ginza, probably some other ones) carry very good teas there. a brand i buy a lot of is Marukyu Koyamaen, a Kyoto-based tea concern that should be distributed at most high-end department stores in Tokyo; they specialize in shaded teas but also have a bunch of consistently blended, reasonably priced senchas and kabuses.

If you wanna nerd out hardcore, visit a tea shop called Chachanoma, close to Harajuku station. They specialize in single-estate, unblended teas sold by cultivar, which is unusual in the world of Japanese teas (now dominated by Yabukita cultivar monoculture, except in high-end shaded teas). You can try and taste and compare, say, a high-end Yabukita with Shizuoka 7132 with Koushun there. Plus the sweets and shaved ices are fantastic.

Thanks a lot for the tip!