Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
After reading this entire thread, I ordered some samples from Adagio and Life in Teacup recently. The Teacup ones arrived today, and they included one I didn't recognize but looks wonderful. Has anyone tried the Taiwan Sweet Summer Oolong?

The package looks like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Cold-brewed some leftover Tazo black iced tea bags the other night. Holy poo poo, it tastes so much better this way; the flavor is a lot less tannin-ish than hot brewed and diluted with cold water. I'll have to remember this.

Also Adagio genmaicha is really good, but I still like Yamamotoyama better. It's probably the association I have with the little Japanese cafe I usually get it from though.

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 5, 2014

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I know someone in the thread had mentioned trying it, but can anyone tell me anything about coffee cherry tea? My boss is obsessed with weird coffee stuff and I thought it'd be cool to get her some to try.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

detectivemonkey posted:

I think it'd be a good gift for her but it doesn't taste like coffee at all. Mine is from Verve Roasters.

Is it more along the fruity side of the spectrum, or more like black tea? I'm curious to try it myself.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

So I can't take a picture of it, but at the Sbux I work for we just received a care package from the retail tea team. It's full of samples of all the new Teavana stuff we'll be selling, as well as a 'PerfecTea Maker' for us to use in tastings.

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this, but it is full leaf, it's fresh, and I get a tin every week for free. Can't complain.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Eh, as iffy as Teavana can be, it's still better than the awful Tazo teabags that used to be the norm in Starbucks.

They actually make a point of saying that these teas will not be available as bags in the retail stores, and I thought that was interesting. I have no idea what's going to happen to Tazo now though... I guess it's mostly been shelved?

Eta: i bought one of the PerfecTea things because i could get it cheap. It's very convenient when I'm making herbal teas that i kinda just forget about :shobon: I'm the worst at tea.

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 10, 2014

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I got a bunch of samples from Adagio recently, and I've been working my way through. I mostly got herbal tisanes for drinking after work, but I picked up some of their Tiger Eye black tea too and Jesus Christ is it bizarre. It's listed as 'natural caramel, chocolate, and vanilla flavoring'; the reviews in the site said it wasn't very chocolate tasting so I figured it'd be fairly lightly flavored.

The moment i opened the bag, it smelled like chocolate chip cookies strongly enough for my near-anosmic boyfriend to notice. The brewed concoction starts out like a normal black tea, then gets overwhelmingly chocolate/caramel flavored. It's ridiculous. I'd thought of mixing it with some plain black tea from Teavana, so we will see.

Also, does anyone have a favorite place to get yerba mate? Someone I know gave me a taste of Teavana's MateVana (Sbux employees sharing), and I tried some bottled Guayaki that left me curious.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Comic posted:

I don't know about teas specifically, but in other foods 'cinnamon flavor' usually means Tabasco, at least a little.

That said, my fiancee had some old cinnamon-based teas that were gifts she never tried (due to a pepper allergy, and the above factoid) that we found she could have. One was delicious and really potent, the other tasted like medicine (I think it has an excess of clove). It also definitely has huge chunks of apple in it.

The good: Harney and Sons's Herbal Hot Cinnamon

The bad: Teavana's Spiced Apple Cider flavored rooibos

I just tried the Teavana blend a few days ago and thought it was horribly over-cinnamon-y. I was really hoping for something like Adagio's apple chai, which is more apple and less cinnamon.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good ginger-based tea? I've been having a lot of stomach problems, and as delicious as Mint Majesty from Teavana is (and cheap: 2 oz of the stuff packs an 8 oz size bag!), I'm getting really really really sick of minty things.

I was looking at Super Ginger from DavidsTea, but it's listed as being really spicy and I have to limit spice for the moment.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I think you guys might be right about just buying ginger and steeping it :) It'll probably be cheaper that way. I'm just a lazy person and don't want to drive forty-five minutes to the Asian market.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Hey, an excuse to post a vintage recipe!

This looks awesome. ...also very '70s. I have to avoid citrus/acid for the moment, but I'll try it once these issues have been resolved!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks, that's good advice. I don't put any stock at all in Teavana as a company, but hey, a sale's a sale. I'll take another look at the Adagio one and think it over.

They'll both be about the same (I have a smaller version of the Teavana one, bought because of work discounts). For what it's worth, I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's still really good and rarely leaks; I brewed a batch of cold-brewed genmaicha in it last summer and it worked nicely. :) I hope it works for you either way!

Speaking of Teavana, since we sell their products I'm kind of in love with iced Youthberry. I should really see if I can make up something similar through Adagio's blending setup because it's so good with lemonade.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I lost the gasket for my teavana perfectea. Is there any way to get a replacement?

Teavana's shutting down all their stores and poo poo is cheeeap (33-75% off) right now, so you can probably get a new one. I don't know if they do replacement parts though. Their online store is going down on Dec. 15 too.

Starbuuuucks :argh:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I recently bought an electric kettle and an infuser as well as some twinings earl grey loose leaf from the grocery store. Before this I was drinking newman's own black tea bags.

I'd like to try more tea's however there isn't really any loose leafs near me. Would it be a good idea to get one of the variety packs from one of the sites in the op or should I avoid those and just pick a few different kinds to start with?

You can always start with what you know you like (i.e Earl Grey), and order from one of the sites in the OP. Places like Adagio often include samples of what they'd imagine you'd like based on what you're ordering! That was how I discovered that I really like their raspberry black tea.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Can any of you lovely people give me a decent ratio for cold-brewing loose-leaf tea in a 2-quart pitcher? I used to use pre-measured Tazo packs but apparently they don't sell them any more. I bought some La La Lemon from David's Tea because it smelled super good but when I asked the associate how much to use to cold-brew she looked at me like she had no idea.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

An update on the cold-brewed iced tea: one ounce of tea for 2 quarts of water results in exactly the strength I was looking for, so thank you to whichever goon suggested that!! Gonna have to remember that.

e: upon looking, it was Jhet suggesting using .5 oz or doubling it for stronger tea to dilute more, so thank you Jhet!

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 31, 2018

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

ntan1 posted:

This is a month late but no department store in Tokyo sells Marukyu Koyamaen. The closest would be Kyoto.

The Shinjuku Isetan holds Kanbayashi, which is an Edo-established producer Maccha (and notably just about as famous), but my experience with Kanbayashi sencha and maccha is that Koyamaen is more balanced and complex.
Ginza Mitsukoshi holds Ippodo, which produces a consistent sencha that I buy, but I still like Koyamaen even more. It's worth noting that I like Ippodo more than Kanbayashi
Daimaru in Tokyo has Fukujuen, which is also well established, but I like Ippodo more.
Takashimaya in Nihonbashi has Yamamotoyama, which likes to produce nori as well. However, it's also not as good as Ippodo.

In any case, the point is that Koyamaen is harder than you think to get in Tokyo, and that I suppose mail ordering it is the best.

It's also worth noting that Tsujiri (not to be confused with the 4-5 other stores also called Tsujiri) now has a store in Ginza, and I have been meaning to try their maccha and sencha for a while.

I love Yamamotoyama's sencha. A little Japanese cafe in Denver serves it. It was my first experience with sencha though, so I might be biased.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Eccles posted:

Upton lists an estimated price per cup on their web site. Their "Organic English Breakfast Blend" I had yesterday is $0.15 per cup. The single estate Assam I had this morning is $0.56 per cup. Both are excellent teas.

Adagio does the same. I don't drink as much tea as some of you folks, but I do try to get a decent bang for my buck. The one I like the most right now is an herbal tea that's $0.32 per cup, but since I steep it at least twice it's more like $0.16.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I think it's about time to start making iced tea for the summertime. Do you guys have a preferred type of tea, or method for making it?

Personally, I like herbal iced teas, but cold-brewing them in the fridge doesn't always work. Cold-brewed black tea is so smooth and clean-tasting though.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

effika posted:

Just about any fruit-based herbals are good too. I especially like them if they have a lot of orange peels or rosehips. I'm moving away from Adagio teas generally but their Dewey Cherry and Blood Orange are fantastic when iced.

I made a huge glass of the Grunt fandom blend (apple, fruit melange, mango medley) and I'll be damned if it doesn't taste like Kool-Aid. I'm gonna have to try the Blood Orange at some point, because that sounds amazing.

Adagio has a storefront decently close to where I live, and everyone there is really nice. It's just easy to get nice things from there.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

Here is some of it on a green plate https://postimg.cc/FfKFVMx1

With it being an Earl Grey, I'd guess the blue stuff is lavender petals! They add a nice sweetness and floral note to the tea.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

hawking crappy Nishio or Chinese tea powder as "ceremonial grade" (this has no legal force in Japan or the United States, which is why they all use it) matcha.

I always wondered why Starbucks claims its matcha powder is "ceremonial grade" when it tastes like poo poo (and is something like 80% sugar, to boot). Thanks for that information.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Heath posted:

It's awful, right? It's almost entirely sugar.

Yep. I loathe the stuff. Not only does it taste like candied grass, it poofs out in giant clouds when you load it into containers and stains everything Wicked Witch of the West green.

I'm not a big fan of matcha anyway, but that's just personal preference. I like genmaicha because I'm a peasant.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

I got brought some of this: https://manoachocolate.com/products/chocolate-tea-4oz that I’ll be trying tomorrow.

Is it, like, just cocoa nibs and black tea mixed? It looks yummy.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Nah it's apparently cocoa bean hulls. As cocoa does have interesting compounds in it (namely theobromine and caffeine), the hulls likely have some in there too.

I brewed some the other day for some science.

I thought that the directions on the back of 2-3 tbsp per cup water was a bit much, so I did ~1/2 tbsp with 1.5c boiling water for 5 minutes. Aroma was excellent, lovely dark chocolate smell. Taste wasn't much... slightly bitter water? So back to the amounts!

I then did 3 tbsp in 3 cups boiling water for 10 minutes. Aroma still excellent, smells like delicious eating chocolate. This time, had a nice, subtle bitterness and mouth feel that reminded me of baker's chocolate while also losing the "tastes like hot water" error of first brewing. Did a 2nd brewing, that didn't really work (I left it for 15 and 20 minutes with tests at each). Not bad, just not much flavor.

Could you, theoretically, steep it in hot milk? I'm not sure if you could get the temperature high enough without scorching the milk but I imagine it'd be like a lovely rich bittersweet cocoa.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

graybook posted:

Welp, made the mistake of making using a peach turmeric blend in my Teavana bottom dispensing maker, and now the smell and stain are there to stay. Thinking of getting a new one in that style for casual stuff; I see there's an Adagio one on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with that product, or am alternative recommendation for a bottom-dispensing unit?

I have the Adagio one, and it's pretty much the same as the Teavana one. It seems a little sturdier, but it's about the same size.

I just had the echinacea green tea from David's Tea's newest wellness line. It's delicious! I don't really care if it's actually boosting my (pathetic) immune system, it's elderberry green tea and is nicely sweet.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I got a sample of sencha from Adagio, and treated it like any other green tea from them (175 degrees F, 2 min). It tasted like seaweed with a hint of canned tuna.

Did I gently caress it up, or is Adagio's stuff just bad?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

effika posted:

I drink a lot of chamomile and Bigelow Mint Medley as well.

I will second chamomile and mint teas as good bedtime drinking. Chamomile in particular has soothing properties, and is good for relaxing. I wish Teavana was still around because Peach Tranquility was my favorite tea. It's a chamomile base with peach, apple, and lemongrass. You can still get it at Starbucks but it's got licorice root in it now and I am allergic af.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just automilked I guess because that’s how I drink my normal tea? It was gross. I’ll try again with no milk and letting it cool as suggested.

Yeah, chamomile with milk sounds awful. Herbal teas generally don't take well to milk in my experience.

I like to let mine steep for about twenty minutes as it slowly cools. The flavor of good chamomile tea is somewhere between sweet honey/apple and fresh hay.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

I associate chamomile with the smell of apples enough that adding milk to that isn’t gonna taste good

Also I once tried making a latte out of a herbal tea that had hibiscus in it and the acidity made the milk curdle instantly :barf:

I work at Starbucks, and with the keto craze there have been people who ask for a Passion Tango tea (which is mostly hibiscus, lemongrass, and rose hips) shaken with heavy cream and sugar free vanilla. It looks like Greek yogurt by the time we finish shaking it but it doesn't taste terrible. The texture makes me gag though.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The conclusion to this thrilling saga:
Decaff Twinings Irish breakfast is fine. Not as good as the caffeinated, but good enough and scratches the itch. I tried to like chamomile tea real hard and it just wasn't for me.

That is just fine! I'm really glad you found one you like!

Now I have a question though. What exactly is the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish Breakfast teas? I've tried all three and haven't been able to figure it out, and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

virinvictus posted:

I might be wrong, because I don't really know and am taking a guess, but I'd guess that it'd be the combinations of different types of tea.

Might be wrong though.

Stuporstar posted:

From the brands and blends I’ve tasted, including Twinings, English breakfast is pretty standard orange pekoe flavor (mostly Ceylons) whereas Irish breakfast is heavier on maltier Assams. Scottish breakfast seems to vary more from blend to blend but it tends to be stronger, sometimes having a bit of smoky lapsang souchong added to it.

All right! I don't know much about black teas (I prefer flavored blends and green teas), but I like Irish Breakfast, so maybe I'd like Assams?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Heath posted:

I bought it from a local shop, but I'll send you their webpage if you want to order some.

I'd love to have the page link too. Genmaicha is my comfort tea, and the color from the matcha looks lovely.

Speaking of sites, Adagio is launching a couple new blends and they're offering samples of the new stuff for $1 each.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

I like my tea very strong and somewhat sweet (usually) but I hate hate hate blends that have stevia, sweeteners, or goddamn candy in them. Let the drat tea just be tea, okay? We all know you're just adding this stuff because it's cheap and pretty, like how everything has cornflower in it now. <:mad:>

There's a little tea shop near work that I really like. They have a really good selection, the owner is really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about her products, and she keeps little sample jars of everything she sells so you can open them and smell the tea before buying it. So far I haven't had anything there that I didn't like.. but I have also seen a tea blend there that has godforsaken bubblegum balls in it.
I feel the same way. I love fruity teas, but I hate when they have stevia or sugary stuff in them. My favorite thing right now is a blend of grapefruit oolong, blueberries, and lemongrass. I feel like if I bought it at David's it would have either stevia or like lemon candies mixed in, and it would be awful.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

I’ve had some really nice herbal blends from David’s (I bought over 500g of lemon smash last year because it’s the best lemon tea I’ve ever tasted and didn’t have anything terrible in it), but I check the ingredients on every one of them because I refuse to buy anything with stevia or candy in it

I'm going to have to try it. Their La La Lemon is honestly not great. I think it's the orange zest added that makes it bitter.

I also have to check all of the ingredients in David's teas to avoid both stevia/candies, but licorice root. I know it's cheap and stretches the tea without adding too much flavor but it makes me break out in hives every time.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, I saw the David's Tea advent calendar and I was going to buy it until I realized that 90% of the teas were awful candy blends and/or full of Stevia. A friend of mine got one and posted her tasting notes on Facebook for everything and I think there was a single tea that sounded good to me, some sort of Earl Grey.. but I do love me some Earl Grey. I usually go for citrusy, spicy (like chai), or floral teas. Other fruits are okay but certainly not my first pick, and gently caress anything that has rooibos in it. I have an Earl Grey and a rose black from Tao of Tea that I get every couple of months with Amazon subscribe and save.. although I may have to hold off on the next shipment because I've been very lazy lately and have mostly been using bagged teas instead.. :shobon:

gently caress rooibos indeed. I feel like I got the short end of the stick on my first taste of rooibos years ago because it was from Tazo, and it tasted like socks and vanilla.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

One of my friends is holding a tea party at her place this weekend, and she bought $200 worth of tea from Adagio for us to try (including 8 oz of butterfly pea flowers, for some goddamn reason). I'm actually super psyched for some of it, and if there's interest I'll try to get her permission to take and post some pictures.

I love Adagio for being local, and I actually really appreciate the 'fandom blends' section of the website because while it can be weeby sometimes, some of the blends are so tasty. Black Lady, Grunt and Liara are great blends for people like me who prefer flavored teas/herbal infusions. Black Lady is my current favorite but Liara is a really lovely citrusy pick-me-up.

Stuporstar posted:

If you’re switching from coffee because the caffeine crash is bad for you, I’d recommend mate. There’s a roasted mate, usually called Brasilano in a lot of tea shops I’ve seen, that kinda has that chocolate/chicory flavor, which is a great substitute for a nice mocha

Mate is really good if you like roasty coffees as opposed to fruity/acidic.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

I've been a big iced coffee drinker for a while but the caffeine is combining with a new medication in a bad way, so I'm going to try to stop drinking it. I was thinking of replacing my usual morning habit with a nice decaf tea, and ideally one that's served well cold. I've always like Earl Grey, green tea, peppermint, and other herbal teas, just not enough to make a habit of them. What would be the best options for decaf teas I could plop into ice water and still have my morning routine with something tasty, or would I be better off making something in advance or pouring hot before chilling? Thanks all! Big transition for me.

I find that brewing decaf herbal teas hot and then icing them is the best way, as they don't generally extract well enough in cold water. Do you have a preference for certain flavors, or do you want to experiment? The Grunt tea in my post up a couple from this one is a mixture of a bunch of fruit, and I really enjoy it iced when the weather gets hot.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

Experimenting is probably a good idea - I'm not a worldly tea enthusiast. Is there a company that would offer a nice variety pack to sample?

Adagio. This is a link to their iced tea 'starter sets', and each set apparently comes with a pitcher if you need one. I'm sure other sites have selections, but again, I'm a bit biased. I just really like Adagio. :3:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Tea-adjacent question: I drink a lot of mugicha, and usually just make it with the barley bags you throw in your pitcher. I have been tossing these bags into my compost when I refill my pitcher, the bags themselves feel like they're made of the same kind of paper you'd see in brown coffee filters. Anyone know what this material is? Wondering if I've screwed up and will be fishing out a bunch of uncomposted material come spring.

Afaik it's just unbleached paper, exactly like coffee filters. No idea if they're compostable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I haven't seen the name Palais des Thés pop up in this thread. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at their website through my job's perks system and they have a bunch of interesting teas, as well as a tea sommelier set.

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2023