Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So I got into tea a couple of weeks ago thanks to one of my friends and I bought a few different types of tea to try and learn what I like and don't like. However, I would like to greatly speed up the process of trying all the different "styles" of tea (not really sure what term to use), so are there any "standard" teas I should try? That is to say, can I get recommendations for tea that exemplify a certain type of tea so I can see if I would like that kind in general?

So far, I've tried a darjeeling, an oolong, and a green tea. I love the darjeeling, don't really like or hate the oolong, and find myself disliking the green tea, but mainly because I get a lot of "sediment" (once again, not sure what term to use here) when the more fine particles get through the strainer. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

I would really like a different darjeeling to try along with some different styles I haven't tried yet experienced, so any sort of direction would be appreciated :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

You might like a yunnan gold or Adagio's golden monkey; to me they have a similar character to Darjeeling although the flavor is not as delicate.

Don't discount green tea so quickly -- in my opinion it is the hardest to brew correctly. What temp/time did you brew it at? As for the sediment, maybe go for something with less dust (perhaps jasmine pearl?)

I'll definitely give the golden monkey a shot, it sounds amazing from the description alone!

As for the green tea, I just followed the directions that came on the package, which were 180 degrees for 3 minutes. However, this does bring me to another question. Should I heat the water to a few degrees above what is recommended so that it while I'm transferring the water into my thermos it will stay closer to the 180 degrees I want while it's steeping?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

Awesome information and recommendations for Indian teas
Thanks a bunch for this! I'll definitely try out all the stuff you recommended!

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In the afternoon, I usually just drop a couple of ice cubes into my glass of room temp. tea that I left out from brewing earlier in the day. Instant iced tea :)

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

^^^ That sounds amazing

Koaxke posted:

So based on someone a few pages ago talking about how lapsang shouchong smelled and tasted like a campfire, I decided to give it a shot. I went over to Upton and ordered a small package of it and it arrived today. When I first opened it, it smelled overwhelmingly of a campfire/BBQ. So much so in fact that I initially thought that I wasn't going to like it. However, after making a cup of it, I fell in love!

Thanks random goon who talked about it :)

Don't remember if it was me or not, but I pretty much had the exact same reaction when I got a tin a couple of months back :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

I love lapsang souchong. As a former whisky drinker, it really does give me the smoke and fire I miss from peated Scotches. It lacks a bit of mouthfeel, but that's alright.

I have a roommate who is huge into Scotch and he doesn't like the lapsang. :iiam: