Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey all, I was looking for something that would help me brew tea in a thermos which has a narrower opening than the tea balls I've got.

I found stick infusers which look like they'd work, but I'm not sure which brand would be best to get something like this from, any opinions or other ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...sl_2ochle7vtv_e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve developed a taste for matcha. So far I’ve only had the Ito En from Safeway.

I don’t care for ceremony.

I’ve read that it should be whisked after adding water, and I’ve read that the powder should be turned to a paste by a small amount of water, and then enough water added to drink. I’ll probably try the latter variation tomorrow.

Should there be a collection of stuff at the bottom of the cup after/during drinking?

Anyone have any strong opinions on matcha? I figure I’ll order from the first link in the OP and give them a go once I’m nearing done with my current can.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

Sorry for the long-rear end post, but scummy matcha vendors are one of the things that really annoy me.

A long rear end post is exactly what I wanted. Telling the difference between good info and dumb stuff with everything online is hard for me since I know near nothing. Thank you!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So if I see matcha that says “ceremonial grade” I’ll avoid it, since it means nothing it’s likely only used by those trying to market their way out of an inferior product.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve had it for awhile as a latte at the local coffee shop and felt it was sickeningly sweet. I saw they also just had a regular tea and asked - they have both sweetened and unsweetened, so I asked for unsweetened (they were worried it’d be too bitter) and I kinda liked it.

Then I got my own and I too am a ruminant, though a little honey in a thermos was awesome. That’s also when I had the least sludge because I sat there absent mindedly shaking the thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got brought some of this: https://manoachocolate.com/products/chocolate-tea-4oz that I’ll be trying tomorrow.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Is it, like, just cocoa nibs and black tea mixed? It looks yummy.

Nah it's apparently cocoa bean hulls. As cocoa does have interesting compounds in it (namely theobromine and caffeine), the hulls likely have some in there too.

I brewed some the other day for some science.

I thought that the directions on the back of 2-3 tbsp per cup water was a bit much, so I did ~1/2 tbsp with 1.5c boiling water for 5 minutes. Aroma was excellent, lovely dark chocolate smell. Taste wasn't much... slightly bitter water? So back to the amounts!

I then did 3 tbsp in 3 cups boiling water for 10 minutes. Aroma still excellent, smells like delicious eating chocolate. This time, had a nice, subtle bitterness and mouth feel that reminded me of baker's chocolate while also losing the "tastes like hot water" error of first brewing. Did a 2nd brewing, that didn't really work (I left it for 15 and 20 minutes with tests at each). Not bad, just not much flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I could try getting milk in a saucepan to ~150 then add the hulls for the remainder climb to 200 and strain the liquid once it's cooled a bit.