Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

I bought some Milky Oolong/Jin Xuan (?) tea yesterday. It's probably a flavoured rather than natural version but I'm not sure how to tell. How long can I keep the leaves for re-brewing before it's not worth it?

Oh, and has anyone here tried the various teas from Teapigs? http://www.teapigs.co.uk/ I've ordered a bunch of different teas from them before, and liked them, but was wondering how they really compare in quality to other places.

Teapigs are cool but are really expensive, I'm so tempted to buy a load whenever I see them in Sainsburys but a pack only lasts a few days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DurianGray posted:

I looked at the Teapigs site and fiddled with some conversion calculators (I'm bad with grams to ounces and had to check what pounds to dollars is currently at) and at least to me it didn't look that expensive? Is tea generally even cheaper than that in the UK? I'm genuinely curious. From what I saw it looked like you could get quite a few of their teas for something like $14 for ~1/2 lb. of loose leaf which is a great deal compared to what I usually pay or see being charged in the US.

Their bags are really good but more than 4x normal earl grey. The loose tea prices aren't too bad if you buy in bulk but I don't really ant to muck around with that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

I don't know about the loose teas, but Teapigs bagged teas are a bit on the pricey side. They are really nice, but for everyday tea, instead of paying say £9.95 (plus shipping) for 50 bags of their English breakfast/everyday brew http://www.teapigs.co.uk/tea/shop_by_category/black/english_breakfast.htm I'd rather get something like Clipper tea, £12.00 for 480 bags here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clipper-Fai...rds=clipper+tea

Clipper teas are awesome, I bought a big box the other day. I'd strongly recommend them where available.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Are there any good sites that sell bulk loose tea for a reasonable price in/not with ridiculous shipping to Canada? I prefer loose leaf tea, but I usually make it by the pitcher and 150g for ~$15 gets kind of pricey.

Twinings is about half that price
http://www.twiningscashop.com/black-tea.html

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My kettle blew a fuse so I'm boiling water on the stove like a caveman. It's taking forever.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I can't imagine drinking english breakfast tea without milk, must be so bitter. I noticed the other day that half my family don't remove their tea bags, so they end up steeping it for like 10minutes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I found in a cupboard a load of different teas labelled Darjeeling and FTGFOP 1 given to me by someone who had just come back from India, but I'd be surprised if either of those labels are honest. Going to give it a try though!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Nah, I meant it more in the sense of "it's not in the OP so I couldn't get any info or opinions about it at a glance". :)

Since you're about and it isn't there already, can I make the suggestion to include Clipper teas under the UK section? http://www.clipper-teas.com/ Really nice teas, wide variety, also do hot chocolate etc. These are my go-to for everyday black tea bags, and we have loads of their lemon and ginger too.

I'd second this - great everyday teas and loads cheaper than teapigs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What are people go to teas when they just want a cup of tea?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Niemat posted:

I think my genmai matcha isn't as great a quality as my genmaicha, so I'll definitely have to try a different company (or try to bungle through my own concoction), because I wasn't super impressed with the stuff I have. Where do you pick up yours?

Okay, electric kettle question... I have this kettle, and I've recently noticed some deposits accumulating (which I'm sure are from our hard water). Does anyone with this model or a similar one have a way that they clean out their kettle or clear deposits?

It's limescale. Just leave it unless there's loads, your kettle should have a filter. If you really want to get rid of it soak it in lemon juice or vinegar for a while then boil and rinse.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you're worried about the vinegar smell use lemon juice instead

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I bought a couple ounces of loose leaf tea from a shop at the market today and a metal tea infuser. How do I brew it? I know roughly 2-3 minutes at 180 ºF for green tea and 4 minutes with boiling water for black tea sounds about right, but how much water to grams of tea leafs should I shoot for? I bought sencha and English Breakfast for what it's worth.

Tea making procedure:
Put kettle on.
Go do something.
Put water in mug with tea
Do something else
Take tea bag/leaves out of mug
(Add milk)
Drink Tea

If you forget about your tea at some point in this procedure then start again.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm really liking black tea and I'd like to try more. The only one I know for sure I've had is this English breakfast, but I've had others too that I don't remember the names of. What are other black teas (don't have to be similar) for me to try and where do I order them online?

Try some Earl Grey it's really great.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

XBenedict posted:

Excellent. I love a good oolong.

Anyone else have Teapigs suggestions?

Their chai and earl grey are not at all what I was expecting but taste fine when considered in isolation.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

KimotaBoom posted:

Lupicia is doing it's annual "Happy Bag" sale. You get a random assortment of teas for half of what they normally cost. Here's a blog post with a picture and description of what was in the box last year that's pretty similar to what I got. I liked almost everything in my bag last year, although the black teas were kind of hit or miss. Also be warned that they take a while to ship out.

Even at half price those teabags are expensive at 40 cents a piece

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I drink bagged tea, it's about 4p a mug

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i drink yorkshire tea.it has pictures of sheep and people playing cricket on the front

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cold brewing oolong is way easier than I expected, I just left some in a jug of water overnight in the fridge. Added some peach slices in the morning and removed the leaves, perfect peach ice tea in the afternoon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

anakha posted:

Cold-brewed hojicha almost tastes like it was sweetened with some syrup. It owns.

I'm so used to guzzling cold mugicha as well nowadays that the discovery that I was down to my last few teabags actually caused me to to stress out a bit.

I was surprised by how sweet coldbrews can be, I was expecting to have to add loads of sugar or honey to mine, but most are fine with no additives, or maybe a mild fruit infusion

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Oolong is a tea that gets milk/cream in it, correct? I have some from Korea that I wanna try soon, just don't have cream.

I would personally not add milk to oolong but I'm sure with some experimentation it might taste ok. You would probably need to oversteep it a bit to stop the milk overpowering the taste. Try it and report back!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Twinings English Breakfast is perfectly good breakfast tea, although it is best with milk (50%) and sugar. If you can get hold of that then you can probably also get Twinings Darjeeling which is cheap, very forgiving to brew, and tastes good without milk or sugar. You won't be winning any cred with tea people but it meets all your requirements!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Anyone know anything about lead content in chinese ceramics? I know it’s a problem with some older porcelain. Red overglazes particularly.

Bought some modern porcelain tea cups off taobao a while ago and yesterday it struck me that they might be of the bad sort. Bright ted and green overglazes imitating an antique style. The taobao vendor seems reputable, but it’s probably a dumb idea to poison myself just because I like fancy tea cups... Is there a way to test this stuff?

On the topic of taobao, going to order some more ceramics off there soon. Possibly also some winter harvest dancing if I can find any... Any Norwegian tea goons want in on an order? There’s a massive amount of tea on there even though it’s a bit hard to orient yourself without reading chinese...

this site is great for all things ceramics related: https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/are_your_glazes_food_safe_or_are_they_leachable_12.html

they have some tests if you're prepared to take some risks (both on damaging your ceramics and lead intake):

quote:

All glass leaches to some extent when it comes into contact with acids or bases, especially if the contact occurs over a period of time or the acid is hot. This is evident by a change the gloss and texture of the glass surface over time. The ability of the glaze to pass two simple tests can be a good assurance that it will give trouble-free service.

Dishwasher Test: Take two identical items and put one in your cupboard and leave one in the dishwasher for two months. Compare the surfaces of the two very closely. If the washed one looks any different, either in color, gloss, or texture then you have a glaze that is vulnerable to attack of bases. The strongest base that most people have access to is Drano so you could use it for a super-duper test.
Vinegar Test: Fill a glazed container half full of vinegar and leave it for several days. Dry the item and compare the color and surface character (e.g. lustre, gloss, texture) above and below the liquid line. Amazingly lemon juice is a stronger acid (but not as strong as stomach acid!). You can just leave a lemon slice against the glaze surface also. Any differences between the acid-exposed surface and the regular surface indicates that the glaze is subject to leaching in acids. There is also way that you can amplify the result: If your glaze is white or transparent add 5% cobalt and do a vinegar leaching test on it (if you are using a colored glaze, add enough of the colorant to get a bright color before doing the test). Excessively unstable glazes can easily turn white with an overnight vinegar leach.
If you want to be a little more scientific you can send the vinegar leachate to a lab to test for the metal in question, then compare the result with its drinking water standards. This type of information is available by using a search engine on the Internet. For example, if you google "manganese drinking water standard" in google you will get 258,000 hits! Look around and you'll find that manganese has public drinking water standards of 0.01-0.05 mg/liter. Remember also that to be totally applicable someone would have to drink all their water from the same glazed container, and any metals already in the water, body weight, whether or not the body accumulates it, etc. would have to be taken into account.

These tests are not technical enough to guarantee that ware is going to be absolutely safe but they will certainly expose glazes that are obviously unsafe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Worst thing about the lockdown is all I have left is some Twinings Earl Grey, which is a perfectly fine tea but not what I want every day!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for companies which deliver tea in France? I was going to just use Palais des Thés as I've had decent ones from them in cafes, but their prices and delivery both seem a bit high.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabant posted:

, surely?

Good idea, they're even more expensive though (7.5eur for shipping) and have tried to trademark Oolong (Thé Bleu™)!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ras Het posted:

What's a non-caffeinated hot drink I'm missing if I regularly consume and enjoy the following: rooibos (both green and red), honeybush, lavender, chamomile, ironwort, lindenflower, raspberry leaf, tulsi, lemon verbena, hibiscus, mint, licorice root? At least. Basically I love tea but have massive issues with caffeine, so my search for something new is about to take me to order mysterious herbal products from suspicious foreign websites

I've been enjoying fennel tea recently (specifically from "Les 2 Marmottes" but I'm sure most are similar). Distinctive taste that works surprisingly well as a tea! I don't normally like herbal or flavoured teas other than mint or earl grey so was happy to find another.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It might be like mint tea actually where you can just stick some seeds in hot water and make something better than any store bought ones, I'll try and report back to the thread!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At a Chinese restaurant (Tofu Vegan in London, highly recommended) they served some really nice tea on the menu as Traditional Tea. I asked and they said it was jasmine tea, it had a super mild floral flavour though and definitely an oolong base. Any recommendations for a specific brand that might be similar and is available in the EU? I don't drink much jasmine tea as it tends to be overly floral.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

That's good to know! Thank you! Been really liking Stash and Twinings, so I'll give theirs a try. Unless there's other budget brands that Goons recommend?

I started drinking tea again after inheriting an electric kettle from someone and it's been really great! As much as I enjoy coffee, there's just something about tea that makes me feel...better? I guess. Not that coffee makes me feel bad or anything, I just feel like I don't crash from tea the way I did with coffee.

tea doesn't seem to go though me as much as coffee does, either

How hard your water is can have a pretty big effect on the taste - you can try filtering tapwater and see if you prefer it (I never bother personally but it can have a bigger effect than the exact brand of English tea).

Seconding the Yorkshire gold rec, it's my favourite, although you should ignore the instructions which say to steep for way too long.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I visit my company's office in Poland relatively frequently. There's a big tea culture there. Someone in that office is really into herbal tea, that's often all that's left. So much mint. Thankfully even the convenience stores have a tolerable selection of tea bags, so I can buy a box to donate when I visit.

Mint tea is one of the best herbal teas imo (along with fennel). They're much better than those weird flavoured things that lots of tea shops sell nowadays.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like mint in a lot of stuff, just not tea. But we have some mint growing, maybe I'll try a fresh infusion. I have a jasmine green tea blend, maybe it would go with that?

Idk about with jasmine, I'd expect the mint to overwhelm the nice light jasmine flavours and leave just the slightly gross base ones through. Plain green tea or oolong works best imo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SoUncool posted:

Yeah, should have specified the giftee is looking for an English tea set. I don't really have a budget here. I feel like I could say $250 and not really have any understanding of what that would give me. Good quality, will last, and has the authenticity of an English tea set? I feel like I'm woefully out of my depth here

do they actually want a fine china tea set or more an everyday sort of thing? For the former you'd need some knowledge to buy second hand (I certainly wouldn't know) or you could look at what Wedgewood, Selfridges, or Fortnum & Mason sells, and try and find it cheaper elsewhere/locally. I'd really recommend trying to see stuff in person though unless it's a super respected brand because there's a big difference in look between the nice stuff and the cheap ones. Personally I'd basically never use a fine china set. e: Spode is a good brand to look for, I've seen a lot of their stuff in person and it's nice, very classic/old fashioned design without looking dated. On their website they have a Morris & Co range which looks particularly interesting as I love the Morris designs, although unlike their other stuff it's "Made by our trusted partner outside the UK to our high standards." (i.e. China).

For the latter check out Emma Bridgewater, really nice designs.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

virinvictus posted:

Hey guys. Weird question. My girl doesn’t really like tea but she likes those canned iced green tea drinks. I know it’s mostly sugar and what not, but I was trying to figure out what type of green tea would make the closest flavour profile.

I’ve thought that a sencha would make a delicious iced, but not sure. Looking for any advice.

It depends on the brand but lots of them seem to be oolong based. Iced oolong is great anyway so no harm in trying!