Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm getting into loose leaf tea, mostly green, what are some well-loved Chinese/Japanese ones? I'm a boring person so my tastes are pretty basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I bought a ceramic teapot from Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). It's really pretty for its $4 price, but it seems to be leaking on the underside. How do I fix this? My first idea is epoxy, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I can't imagine anything that would be resistant to repeated encounters with boiling water that would both be safe and last for the long term. You might have bought a $4 decoration. Which there is nothing wrong with.

It's fully-functional and has a mesh strainer inside, but the edge of the circular base is just somewhat porous and leaks. I'll probably look for a better one, though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Borrowed my officemate's coffee press (which he uses for tea, so flavor contamination isn't an issue) to test multiple steep times. The office hot water isn't hot enough, so I've done 6 minutes for the first steep, then 9 for the second.

How many steepings do you make? My limit is 3 so far, but I'm not sure how far I could (or should) go.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ras Het posted:

Have you, uhh, considered getting a kettle?

I would get into trouble if I used one in the office.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Love Stole the Day posted:

Daiso :love:

You and I probably have the exact same teapot.

Yours doesn't leak, does it? I want to get another one but I'm afraid it might have the same problem as my faulty one...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RandomPauI posted:

I restarted drinking teas at a hospital where the qualities were Lipton black tea, seemingly brandless airtight packets of green tea, and seemingly brandless airtight packets of orange pekoe and pekoe infused black tea.

I know there are a few places around here that sell loose-leaf tea, but I almost feel like I should master bagged teas first. Does that make any sense?

Loose leaf tea honestly isn't that big of a difficulty increase from tea bags. You just need an infuser/teapot and at most you'll be measuring the amount of leaves you infuse. The rest is tweaking variables like steep time, water temperature, etc.

You'll immediately taste the difference once you try it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does black tea not lend itself to multiple steepings well? I bought some Turkish black and the leaves are tiny to my previous ones (Chinese green chun mee), and the second steeping yielded a lot less color. Or maybe I needed to add more leaves, but hmm

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Turkish tea is (technically speaking) trash. The leaves are small and broken to bit and generally very low grade. They'll steep fully in very short order and go bitter before you know it. Better Chinese blacks can be steeped 8 or 9 times and still be very enjoyable. I'm not making GBS threads on you for enjoying Turkish tea, mind, but the leaves are very low quality and won't hold up like high grade leaves will.

That's fine. I like the strong taste. I'll probably use a coffee press instead of my huge teapot to save on stuff. I'm just trying out different teas as this is my second loose-leaf one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone tried ordering from Teavivre from Southeast Asia? I want to know if it's a good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Teavivre reshipped my order when it returned to them because of a wrong address. I got them a year after ordering (I had given up and assumed that Philippine customs ate it). The Premium Dragon Well one was really good...