Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I have a dumb question that isn't really answered or whatever in the OP.

I know that it's very popular to add milk and sugar to your tea so that it changes or enhances the flavor or whatever. However, when I try to do this, I end up with a warm little mini-cup of milk and a dried, crusty little mini-thing of sugar on my computer desk because it took me so long to drink my first cup due to it being so hot that I kind of feel like it's best to just keep it all in the fridge. Problem is, though, that it's an awful lot of work going back and forth from one end of the house to the other every single time that I want to refill my cup.

Surely I am dumb and doing everything the wrong way, so I wanted to ask about how I'm supposed to organize this stuff here because I suck at drinking tea. I often feel like I'm better off just drinking it straight from the pot, even though it always tastes a lot better with just a little bit of sugar and milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I looked up that Long Jing green tea you guys were raving about and it's apparently grown in a satellite city of Shanghai. I'm surprised you guys can't taste the pollution.

Since you guys are all unanimously raving about it I might get a little bit, also. While I'm at it, can you guys make some recommendations for new teas to try? I'm a big fan of barley tea (보리차), Earl Gray, Lady Gray, Rooibos, brown-rice green tea (현미녹차), raisin tree tea (헛개나무차), most other green teas, sweet tea, and peppermint tea. Kinds that I don't really like are English/Irish Breakfast (too bitter on the first steep for me... I need that condensed milk to make it palatable), and fruity-flavored tea (citrus accents like lady gray are cool though), and most other herbal teas.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I bought a ceramic teapot from Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). It's really pretty for its $4 price, but it seems to be leaking on the underside. How do I fix this? My first idea is epoxy, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

Daiso :love:

You and I probably have the exact same teapot.

Ras Het posted:

Black tea is the weird alt tea that white people love for some reason

It reminds us of the cholera we used to get from the River Thames.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Does anyone here regularly make those Taiwanese milk teas? I was hoping somebody could recommend what tea-milk-icewater ratios they use. Every tutorial I see seems to recommend very different amounts. Thing is, I really like that strong flavor to the milk tea but that means using 50% tea 25% milk 25% ice water then that'll really drain my supply. Was hoping to get that Earl Grey-flavored milk.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I wish the whole house smelled like my tea cabinet

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Warning, stupid questions incoming: So let me get this straight: if I leave the tea bag in there for more than 3~5 minutes then I'm loving it up? If I take the tea bag out, do I just toss it in the bin or something? Is there a special tea bag holder appliance that I don't know about?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Follow-up stupid questions: So when I go to a cafe or tea house and order a cup to go, I'm supposed to take that big bag of loose leaf out of the cup and either set it aside or throw it away after a minute or two of having it before I take my first sip? Am I really supposed to throw away these tea bags after just one cup? Because I know the super cheap stuff will have no flavor after the first cup anyway, but there are brands out there like Twining that are usually good for 2~4 cups before the flavor is gone. Isn't it wasteful to just throw out the teabag after the first cup for things like that?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The stuff you see for sale on English language websites is very much luxury priced tea that is grown away from the major pollution centers in China.

Relevant: http://aqicn.org/forecast/seoul/#h1header4437

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

It doesn't smell smoky at all, but I'm used to Twinnings' lapsang souchong, which yeah, is like drinking a campfire. I like that on a nice cold fall day, or toward the end of a long winter, but this ain't that. This stuff smells... sweet, almost like chocolate, but more sweet than cocoa. Definitely no smoky smell at all. I guess lemme try brewing up a quick cup and seeing what I've got here.

EDIT: Went the fast route. Steeped 1tbsp of tea in ~1 cup of water for 30 seconds, tossed that, then did a second steep for 45. Sweetened with a bit of sugar. Here's a quick pic for the color:

As for taste, I don't consider myself anywhere near enough of a connoisseur to pick out the delicate flavor notes or any of that poo poo. What I taste tastes kind of like a slightly better quality generic black tea. Admittedly, this could be due to a number of things; I didn't steep it correctly, I over/undersweetened it, I'm not good at tea yet, or, and this is probably the most likely, it's just regular old tea that I got for $7.50 for the jar. :shrug:

There you are! I remember playing a game with you a few years ago and you said that that was your favorite tea. I remember the line about "drinking a campfire." Never saw you again after that, but that line resonated with me. Forgot the name of the tea, so now that I know what it is again I'll definitely give it a try sometime soon hopefully.