Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I just bought like $20 of black tea on a whim from that adagio site. Here's to hoping I don't mess up what should be a relatively simple process.

I already have an unopened glass teapot with a little mesh basket thing to steep the tea in from a gift exchange a few years back, but I'm wondering if I need anything else special to brew with. I don't have a tea kettle, but I imagine just boiling the water in a pot will do for now until I snag one from goodwill or something. Also, what's a good rule of thumb for how much tea to use per batch?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ah, that's simple enough. I figured I was overthinking it. It looks like I may have bought my way into a fun new hobby on a tired whim.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just tried some of the Casablanca Twist from adagio and I really liked it. Usually I have to put some sugar or milk in my tea to get it to where I like it, but I enjoyed this stuff just fine on it's own. It's a really nice mix of peppermint and a Darjeeling if you're unfamiliar with it. I would have preferred a tad less mint and a smidge more tea, but I can mess with that later. The leaves also look and smell really appealing.

I also ordered a sample of their Lapsang Souchong and hoo boy. I'd describe the smell of it as somewhere between a campfire and a tire, not necessarily an unappealing smell, but I'm doubting I'll have more than one cup of it.

So a lot of my non black teas call for non boiling temperature water, which makes it a bit more complicated than listen for the kettle to whistle and pour, mostly just a guessing game of how long it'll take to cool to the proper temperature after I bring it to a boil. I hear about electric kettles in this thread occasionally and am wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for one. I'd prefer it as cheap as I can get it, but I'll spend a little extra for something nice.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How long does tea keep? I got into it big a while back and lost interest in the hobby and didn't have the motivation to blow through my stocks, so I have a basket full of fancy loose leaf sitting in my cabinets. The pu erh I think keeps indefinitely, but what about the greens blacks and herbals? They're stored in airtight opaque bags in cool-ish conditions.

E:Judging by my last post in the thread, I'd guess it was about 2.5-3 years that these have been sitting.