Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hello everyone, I have purchased a tea kettle and wish to engage in the world of tea to provide myself a wholesome drink to help relax my increasingly neurotic self.

What is the best tea to induce a soporific, Zen-like calm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pu-erh makes you high in a way that's completely separate from the caffeine. Aged pu-erh especially, but the flavors can be a little offputting at first (mineral, dirt, mushroom flavors, among others).

I can hazard a guess that northern US grocery stories likely don't carry this? Or is it fairly easy to acquire? Can you order it online?

EDIT: Oh, Amazon carries it! https://smile.amazon.com/Yunnan-Pu-...es%2A=0&ie=UTF8

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 29, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hope and vaseline posted:

This is a good article on puerh and has some reliable vendors listed. Don't bother with buying from Amazon, you'll probably end up with some really, really low end stuff. Pu is some complex stuff, look for places that you can buy a bunch of samples before you invest in a large cake for yourself.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/what-is-puerh-tea-where-to-buy.html

So it looks like I need to order the tea, and a wooden tray or something to break it onto. And a tea pick? Or could I just use a knife?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hope and vaseline posted:

I used a screwdriver I disinfected as a ghetto tea knife to start off with, definitely stay away from sharp knives though cause sometimes those cakes are compressed really tightly and you can slip and hurt yourself badly. If you buy samples, they're already broken up for your brewing pleasure. You can make do with a regular mug and basket infuser though if you own that already and just brew it western style like any other tea before you invest in anything more. Hell, I brew shou puerh grandpa style sometimes (just a big mug, toss the leaves in, and drink from that, refilling the water once in a while)

So a basket infuser seems to be some sort of filter-- do these work with most/all tea pots? Mine is some basic ceramic one. I'm not sure I wanna actually have the tea leaves in the water, since I'm used to tea bags -- do I just pour the hot water through the leaves in the filter?