Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Milk tea is amazing if you think of it more like a flavored milk than a flavored tea. I live in Taiwan and get them all the time from vendors and at restaurants. Milk tea is also what you can get the pearls in, though they're a bit too sweet and heavy for me to drink without feeling sick.

Here in Taiwan there are obviously tons of tea shops. Most of them sell looseleaf tea in either those little metallic folded bags in a container, or they'll have these big canisters that they scoop the tea out of and weigh.

TianRen tea (天仁) has a ton of stores here, and is the most easily recognizable. I think you can buy their bagged tea in America? I don't remember. Maybe I'll go in later and take a pic or two to post on here.

As for my tea preferences, when I'm out and about I'll order wulong or wulong-green teas from the vendors (half sugar, light ice), or a lemon-green tea if I want something sour. It's like lemonade made with green tea, and is awesome.
At home, when I'm lazy I'll throw a bagged TianRen wulong bag in a cup and call it a day. Otherwise I have some looseleaf Eastern Beauty tea (東方美人茶)or a different looseleaf wulong in a little pot, and drink out of the tiny teacups. I should expand out and get some other random ones though.

Random Chinese fact! Black tea is called Red tea here. Because honestly, it's not really black. It's the standard go-to for milk tea, and is otherwise drowned with sugar. It seems to never be drunk in a formal setting however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Ravendas, going to Taiwan and loving Ten Ren Tea (that's how they spell their English name) is kind of like going to France and loving Carlo Rossi wine. All I can say is, you have an extraordinary opportunity now to learn everything about oolong (and puerh) tea. Stick with it, and one day you will wonder that you ever drank tea from Ten Ren (let alone from a teabag). The best thing you can do when starting out is try to make friends with an old Taiwanese guy. Or you could try meeting up with the Tea Masters guy.
Email me what city you live in, maybe we can meet up at a real tea shop some time - lonhig..at..gmail

I've lived in Taipei for almost 6 years now. I just mostly drink tea from vendors on the street, and stop in TenRen when I actually want some tea at home, just because it's a big friendly easy to shop in place.