Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Can anybody suggest a good Assam/Irish Breakfast that doesn't need milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hummingbirds posted:

Fwiw I have had both of those without milk and they taste fine. No tea "needs" milk besides maybe chai.

I bought the GFOP Assam from Upton. It goes from weak to undrinkably bitter. It might be the water at work; I'll have to try it at home.

areyoucontagious posted:

I usually leave my tea bags in (I've been doing the Twinnings thing for a while) so both my breakfast and earl teas steep for probably 10ish minutes, but to tell the truth I don't find them that bitter. They're actually pretty delicious! Maybe I'm just ignorant of how delicious tea can be? For adding milk, do you guys put in skim, 2%, whole, half-and-half, cream? Also I had a coworker bring in some smoky tea (what he called it) and it smelled delicious. Are there trusted varieties that have that flavor? Do you add anything to smoky tea?

This is probably a Lapsang Souchong. It's a Chinese tea that is actually smoked. You can add milk, but I drink it plain.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Enfys posted:

I wouldn't add milk to lapsang souchong as that will take away from a lot of the smokiness. There are different kinds of lapsang, generally depending on what it's smoked with/over and how strong they are. Taiwanese lapsang (or Formosan lapsang) is usually the strongest, especially the tar smoked ones. So if you really like the smokiness, go for those ones, but you can also find much milder ones.

Do you have a link to a place that sells this black tar tea?

(PS. Don't use your usual infuser for Lapsang Souchong unless you want all your tea to taste smoky for a week.)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I wouldn't suggest Barkeepers Friend on ceramics. On glazed ceramic, it scratchs the glaze, which will make it harder to clean later. On unglazed ceramic, those chemicals will just get absorbed.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

DurianGray posted:

General rule of thumb is about one teaspoon of leaves per cup (or 8 oz.) of water. If the leaf is really densely packed, maybe a little less. If it's not dense at all, then maybe a bit more than the teaspoon-per-cup ratio. Adjust according to taste more than anything else though.

If grams works better for you as a measurement, you'd probably need to experiment and figure that out on your own. Unfortunately almost everything uses teaspoons instead of weight.

Upton suggests 2.25 g/6 oz of water for most teas, which seems like a reasonable place to start.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Jhet posted:

there's even one for Ceylon/Sri Lanka that I can't manage to find right now.

Anybody know who this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Skylight posted:

Seriously, $450 for a single thing? Am I reading this right? That's nonsense. That's the kind of price you pay for an artisanal tea set, not the tea itself. And if you're not even gonna drink it, what's the point?!

A place to hide money from your government of choice.