Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If you really want a tetsubin (cast iron tea pot) but don't feel like paying out the nose, check out your local TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. You can usually pick them up for about $12.

Southern Iced Tea: I don't know if you'd notice a huge difference in the taste if you're dumping insane amounts of sugar into it, but it can't hurt! I would imagine if you used loose leaf and a ratio of 10:1 (or something, I dunno) of black tea to lapsang souchong it would be add a hint of smokiness and be pretty tasty.

Question: I have a brick of pu erh sitting at home. I bought it about 4 years ago and haven't touched it yet. Can I assume this is still ok to drink?

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to https://www.souvia.com as a tea supplier. If you live in Phoenix, AZ I would check out their stores as well. Very cool stuff and run by very cool people.

angor fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

axolotl farmer posted:

I have this packet of tea:

A pile of them appeared at my former office and I don't remember who brought them there. I asked one of the Chinese people and was told that it was a very good 'Iron Buddha' tea, which I after some googling realize is Tieguanyin (鐵觀音).

It's actually whole leaves rolled into spheres, and they unroll and inflate in hot water. When I tried it at the office I just put some in a cup and poured hot water over it and let it steep for a long time.

Very fragrant stuff. I usually like bitter and plain black teas, like Ceylon teas, but this one was really nice.

So a couple of questions:

- What's the proper way of preparing this tea?
- If I would like to get more like it, what should I ask for?

As mentioned, you have a fairly high quality Oolong.

I would recommend keeping the water below boiling (aim for about 190°).
The great thing about rolled oolong is that it you can steep it multiple times, and each time you get a slightly different flavour as the tea unravels. Give your tea as much free space as you can to let them open up completely. You should be able to get 6-8 steepings out of a single serving with the 3rd/4th being super awesome.

There are tea strainers you can buy that have a pressure release thing at the bottom, so when you put it on top of your cup it strains out. These are especially great for things like flowering teas, oolongs, pu-erh tuo cha, or any other tea that needs a ton of room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbccRf29u0
http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-16-Ounce-Ingenuitea-Teapot/dp/B000FPN8TK/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k1

angor fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 23, 2011

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Boxman posted:

Also, seconding the "ingenuiTEA is good" for people who don't have other tea paraphernalia already. I don't know enough about tea to really say whether having a lot more room to steep is all that necessary, but I do know that, without fail, I go :haw: every time I use the thing.

The reason I suggest it for oolong, especially what axolotl farmer's got is because each of those balls is a full tea leaf. You'd be surprised how much they open up. A teaspoon of that stuff will fill about half of the Ingenuitea thing after the 5th steeping or so.

For most other tea, I just use it cause it's convenient as hell :D

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
When I lived in the US, I had one of these: http://www.google.com/products/cata...IwAQ#ps-sellers

It was the greatest thing EVER. So sad to leave it behind :(.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

axolotl farmer posted:

When you drink green tea that's good for several steepings, what do you do with the leaves between servings? You don't really drink 5 cups of tea in a row.

Why the hell not? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
That thing is freaking awesome. I have a 10 cup yixing pot that I bought years ago and never got around to using. I just can't imagine when I would use it. It sits on our entertainment unit and stores batteries and collects dust now :(