Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Has anyone on here grown tea before? I'm growing some in an aerogarden right now, or at least I just started growing it and I'm not sure exactly the best way to use them once I am able to harvest. Can you steep them while they're still green or do I need to dry them? I'm really anxious to see how these plants do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

Growing tea at home is certainly possible, but you're not going to get a usable amount from a little plant in a pot. Also, like coffee, the growing region (altitude, soil and weather conditions) has a massive impact on the quality and taste of the end product, so it won't be very good tea either. That's even assuming you're growing the correct varietal and you're familiar with the processing steps required to get drinkable tea (very different depending on the country of origin and style).

Basically, grow a tea plant at home for novelty, not to make tea.

It's more for novelty than anything, though I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something to at least try out. I'm not expecting to have a ton of it or anything. It's in an aerogarden so aside from the nutrients I have, it won't have any effect from region or soil. That being said, aerogardens grow like crazy, so with 7 seed pods I'll end up with a fairly steady amount coming up. The bad thing is that there are a few different types and I think it'd be better off with 7 pods of one type. I'll keep people updated on what comes of it and if it's even drinkable. In the instructions they say you can just steep the fresh leaves, I've never heard of that, so that's why I was curious if anyone had tried it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I live by a Teavana and pretty regularly get my herbal-based teas there but I don't even know how you managed to buy $150 worth of tea for a single person. How many ounces did you buy? :psyduck: I hope you have airtight containers for them or they're going to lose potency right quick. The tea prices there are okay for being fancy blended ones and all, but all of their accessories are massively overpriced.

I'm assuming he also bought a tea pot or some other accessories. Those will easily set you back $60+ there.

On an unrelated note, has anyone here ever traveled with their tea? My job has me on the road two nights a week and I'm often really in the mood to relax and have some tea in my hotel and the awful tea bag that's usually in the room is not cutting it. I'm not flying on these nights away so I'm not worried about security stopping me thinking it's drugs or anything. Are there any tea bags that are worth drinking or should I find some small lock and lock type containers and a tea ball or something to bring with me?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Charmmi posted:

I have seen people post pics of their travelling teaset and it included a portable water heater, water filter, and an assortment of gaiwan. He custom modded a suitcase to keep everything encased in foam. :catstare: I have had Two Leaves and a Bud brand teabags and they are decent.

Jesus, that's a bit much. I was thinking just a small airtight container that would fit my tea and a tea ball or just some disposable tea bags or something. Ideally regular tea bags would be easiest, but just about everything I've bought from a grocery store just tasted bland to me, like it needed way too much sweetening to get some flavor out of it. I haven't had either of those brands so maybe they'd be worth a shot.