Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

aldantefax posted:

Hi! Some people were talking about genmaicha and such and because this is a thread that needs some love I figured I would say hello.

Brew temperature: 179F, or roughly freshly boiled water cooled for 5-7 minutes
Steep time: 90sec - 2 minutes, adjust to taste
Suggested serving size: 2 tablespoons per 4oz of water in the teapot
Longevity: 5-8 steeps, increasing the steep time by 15-30sec each time

Overview

Genmaicha is a low to medium grade green tea blended with roasted and popped brown rice kernels. White rice is used in place of brown rice sometimes too, but "genmai" translates to brown rice. It is designed to be a cheaper alternative to the often much more expensive and more carefully cultivated grades of green tea in Japan. Because there is less actual tea leaf by volume, the overall cost tends to be significantly cheaper. A good poor man's tea.

That's not to say it's a bad tea!

Taste

Genmaicha is a very robust tea that takes to multiple steeps well. The flavor profile is a little on the sweeter side accentuated by the planty/vegetal flavor profiles of sencha. The roasted kernels provide a very "toasty" liquor (the robustness from earlier). With the right amount of genmaicha, you typically don't have to worry about oversteeping. The most important thing is to make sure you don't brew the leaves too hot.

In the hotter seasons it's great to have iced. Very refreshing!

Doesn't really take well to honey/sugar in my opinion, but that's personal taste.

Food Pairings

Anything dry savory/salty will work well. Try rice crackers, potato chips, nori senbei (Japanese rice crackers w/ seaweed). Both dry and 'fluffy' sweets work well too such as crumbly cookies, cakes, and biscuits.

Pricing and Availability

Genmaicha, being a cheap tea, is found in plenty of places. The brand I typically drink is HIME Brand genmaicha since it's available at my local grocery store (Lucky's in the US) - 10oz for $3.75 + tax.

Provided you have stuff to brew with already, you get about two to three months of genmaicha if you used the brewing suggestions above if you brewed once a day and dumped the leaves after one steep for every day of the week at 7 cents a cup. Money well spent? Maybe!

Other Notes

Try brewing cold! Use a disposable tea bag and pack it with 4-5 tablespoons in one pitcher (3L or more). The longer you let it steep the better, overnight is good.

Blending genmaicha with other green teas will make the brew milder overall. Try 2 parts genmaicha to 1 part gunpowder green tea. You can probably steep that up to 10-12 times with the extra 'strength' the gunpowder gives to the cup! (note: please do not use actual gunpowder. that is dangerous and probably tastes terrible)

I'll throw some pictures up later!

This is my preferred brand. I get it at a local Asain grocer and really like it.

On the note of Adagio, they are good for beginners that don't know what they want because they have sections for everything, being oolong, green, black, and flavors. Good descriptions and reviews. Once I was taught by my ex (lived all over the world and loves tea) I learned more of what to look for and went to upton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU