Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

Are there any real temperature guidelines for tea brewing? the OP is incredibly vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

Devi posted:

Speaking of Asian supermarkets--as someone with access to nice, affordable, totally great loose tea should I skip the tea aisle at Asian supermarkets or might there be something tasty and new? I'd think that as long as I can get what I want from a tea shop I should stick with that but maybe there's something in the market that my shop doesn't have.

Sometimes there will be two tea sections in Asian markets, so be on the lookout. They will have foojoy, yamamotoyama, and bagged ten ren stuff in an aisle, then in front, near the fancier liquor, they will have some fancier Ten Ren stuff, which isn't exactly top notch but it is p good everyday tea from what I hear/read.

Scored this gaiwan at a chinese sundries store today for 6bux

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

TRIP REPORT

Passed by a fantastic tea shop in Oakland's Chinatown that aldantefax recommended to me in irc (#tea-chat on synirc, come on in). (Lilly's Golden Tea Shop) Picked up some teagear:

And a couple of teas. They were very helpful and prepared a few infusions at their tea table in the back to sample the teas I was interested in.

Walked away with a ti guan yin and a looseleaf sheng pu erh.

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Thanks for the nice pics/ report. What kind of pot do you plan to brew the Pu Er in? The reason I ask is that its strong smell will completely "take over" the pot. I'd recommend one pot for aged teas/ pu er/ black tea and a separate pot for oolong/ lighter teas (this includes your Tie Guan Yin). This way, your "lighter" type teas will begin to taste better and better as you season the pot through successive brews of only lighter teas. Of course, like all things tea prep, this is not the one and only opinion (but the majority of Taiwanese mostly drink light oolong and have a specially relegated pot for it). I also know a tea farmer who told me that that's all bullshit and I may as well just brew anything in anything.

One view of pots that's a little more universally accepted is that Pu Er is best brewed in a thick walled vessel (I think most Zi Sha pots fit this description), whereas oolongs are better brewed from the thin walled variety. This has something to do with water temperature, but I don't really know more than "oolong should be brewed hot-as-poo poo and Pu Er shouldn't."

Also, what is your opinion of sheng vs. shou Pu Er? And how many brews can you get out of the Pu Er you bought before the leaves are spent?

Yeah, I was planning on using it for only one type of tea, probably young sheng pu erhs. I'm not planning on getting super spergy about Yixing stuff, but it was a good deal and figured why not. For most things I will stick to gaiwan for now, at least until I have money/space for a fancy display case for all the pretties :3

I'm pretty new to puer, Bob_McBob and bears have been helping me out a lot. I've literally tried one sheng, this one, and dozens of unmemorable shous over the years. I've yet to try a truly aged sheng, but I have my eyes on a sample