Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Just wanted to post about the great customer service experience I had with Davids. I bought like 100g of their new tea Mint to Be the other week based on the fact that it seemed to be made entirely of ingredients I had tried before in their other tea- however, it was awful, and smelled strongly of... not coconut or mint, but an artificial smell that turned my stomach. I sent an email to Davids asking for a list of which natural ingredients were added to it (cream, butterscotch, white chocolate mousse... what?) and which other teas contained those ingredients so I could avoid them.

They sent me back an email within a day, and not only apologized for my experience and provides me a list of the additives, but also offered to send me 50g of a tea of my choice shipped to my door, which leads me to my next question- anyone else shop Davids and have favourites they'd recommend? I tend to go for blacks and herbals and anything not terribly sensitive to temperature since I just have a kettle after I broke my thermometer.

If you like mate, their guayusa is really nice. Sweet and slightly grassy, and I've never had it get bitter no matter how long I steep it. It's got more caffeine than black tea, but the effect is very clear and pleasant.

On milk: I only use it for cheap black teas, which brew a nice strong cup, but can be a bit harsh. I like Ridgways Organic black and Earl Grey for this application. Dilmah single origin is another nice black tea that's ridiculously cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
David's Tea has a nice guayusa. It can be a bit powdery, so using a fine filter is probably a good idea, but it has a very pleasant, sweet grassy flavor. I agree that it's almost impossible to over-steep.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I haven't been satisfied with any of the hot cups of sencha I've had, so I tried cold brewing some today, and the result is delicious and refreshing. I think I'll cold brew all my delicate greens from now on.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah, hot tea is a necessity in the morning.

Urgh, the second cold-brewed cup was completely bitter. I think sencha may not be for me, or at least not the one David's sells.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I don't think Murchie's was mentioned yet. They've been around for over a century, and are best known for their blended teas. I'm drinking a cup of the Library Blend right now, which is a nice mix of lighter blacks and jasmine greens. I'm not sure if ordering from their online store is a good deal for non-Canadians, but their retail locations are worth a visit if you happen to live in or near BC.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Thanks for the heads-up, I just dropped $70 on some oolongs. I've been enjoying the Chinese ginseng oolong that David's sells, so I'm looking forward to trying the Taiwanese version that Teavivre had on sale.

Is there much difference between the superfine/nonpareil/etc. grades that they sell?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It wouldn't surprise me if there were some errors in terminology on their website, given that sentences like this exist:

Teavivre posted:

Teapot may be your choice.

"You can use a teapot if you want, I guess. Whatever."

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got my Teavivre 3rd anniversary order today. I'm very pleased with the quality of all the teas I received, and even though I chose free shipping, it only took 12 days to get to Canada. Well packaged, too. I would definitely order from them again.

I'm currently enjoying my free sample of Keemun Mao Feng. Delicious!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Juaguocio posted:

Is there much difference between the superfine/nonpareil/etc. grades that they sell?

To answer my own question:

I bought a few different grades of oolong from Teavivre during their sale, and while there's a considerable increase in quality from the standard to "superfine" grades, the difference between "superfine" and "nonpareil" (the highest grade) seems negligible to me. To my taste, the 2014 teas are superior to the 2013s, so it could be that freshness is the biggest factor.

I'm loving the 2014 Superfine Ali Shan. It has an amazingly complex flavor.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

CommonShore posted:

Anyone try any of these before? The coconut and citron are favourites of mine, but I decided to go for the Tie Kwan Yin (which is another oolong) blind.

David's Tieguanyin is pretty nice. I generally prefer roasted TGYs to green ones, and David's is what you might call a "medium roast" (not sure what the correct terminology for that would be). It has a good flavor, and stands up well to multiple steeps. It's probably not quite worth the price, given that cheaper oolongs are available from places like Teavivre, but it's not hugely overpriced like some of David's stuff is.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Hey guys, I accidentally left my tea collection at my old place when I graduated and it's now long gone. Winter's coming and it's time to restock!

I'm looking for really really tasty black and green teas as well as any other recommendations you guys might have. The more caffeine, the better.

Also, I love teas that taste like gunpowder and cave moss, so if anybody has a suggestion for something that will kick me on my rear end, lemme know! Bonus if all from the same source to save on shipping.

Thanks in advance. :)

I like Keemun black tea when I'm looking for a strong cuppa. The Keemun Hao Ya that Teavivre sells has been my favorite lately: http://www.teavivre.com/keemun-hao-ya/
I find some Keemuns too smoky, but this one is more on the malty side.

Speaking of Teavivre, they have a big Black Friday sale coming up. Anyone know of other tea vendors with similar sales?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hope and vaseline posted:

Teavivre Black Friday is up! Though I think I'm gonna be spending on some White2Tea cakes instead for this weekend.

For Dian Hong fans, this is an incredible deal: http://www.teavivre.com/premium-yunnan-black-tea/

I haven't been into green tea much lately, but for the sale price, I had to get some of the premium Long Jing: http://www.teavivre.com/premium-dragon-well-green-tea/

Their loose ripened puerh is ridiculously cheap as well, so I figured I might as well try it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

XBenedict posted:

I hate giving Teavana money (especially a lot of it), but I've not found an Oolong that I like as well as their Monkey Picked Oolong. I've tried many different Oolong options from Upton, and the usual suspects, but I can't find anything quite like it.

Any suggestions?

Teavivre has a Monkey Picked oolong as well. It's really nice, and much cheaper than Teavana's: http://www.teavivre.com/monkey-picked-oolong-tea/

The two probably don't taste exactly the same, but I imagine they would be pretty close.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm making my way through all the teas I got from Black Friday, and this pu-erh: http://www.teavivre.com/loose-leaf-pu-erh/ is one of the strangest things I've ever tasted. The steeped liquid is almost as dark as coffee, and the taste reminds me of... hay? Leather? I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it's definitely a change from what I usually drink.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

nwin posted:

Anyone?

Throw a bunch of pearls in water, try the resulting brew, then add more or less next time to your taste?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Tea megathread: just grab the middle nipple part and yank hard. It pops right back in when you're done cleaning.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Iron Goddess Of Mercy = Tieguanyin. It's a literal translation of the Chinese name.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Hey, an excuse to post a vintage recipe!

quote:

INGREDIENTS:
for each person :
1 cup water
1 inch fresh ginger
2 teaspoons brown sugar or honey
2 slices lemon

DIRECTIONS:
This needs friends, and a candle, and a good dinner first is always great. For each person, a mugful of water, an inch or so of fresh green ginger grated coarsely into a saucepan, two heaped teaspoons of brown sugar or a bit more honey, and a couple of slices of lemon (peel and all). Boil (lid on) ten to fifteen minutes.
Pour (strained - just hold back the shreds with something) into mugs and drink as hot as you can stand it. The first sip liberates your taste buds (the Japanese do the same thing with sliced ginger for sushi) The second, which should be a good mouthful) clears you head, and halfway through the cup you should get off - nice and warm and loose.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This is the time of year when I buy way too much tea. Teavivre's 2015 spring harvest is coming in, and I couldn't resist the Mother's Day free shipping. Haven't had the chance to try everything yet, but I'm really enjoying their Bi Luo Chun, and their Gunpowder is a great value for the price.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I got the TeaVivre 2015 sampler. Everything smelled fresh and was mostly whole leaves and buds. I would vouch for all of these but the Dragon Well. Everything is about $19/100g but the Mao Jian is $14.

Premium Dragon Well - Disappointing. Has a hint of apricot sweetness that I don't enjoy.
Lu Shan Yun Wu - Very good. Nutty flavor. A little bit of bitterness but I prefer it to sweetness.
Bi Luo Chun - Good all around. Nothing stood out.
Xin Yang Mao Jian - Very good. Savory and smoky without any seaweed taste. It's like vegetable broth. This would be wonderful restaurant tea but I couldn't drink it every day.
Huang Shan Mao Feng - Very good. I've had some bad mao feng in the past and was happy with this.

I've got the last 5g of the bad mao feng cold brewing and it has barely colored the water after 21 hours.

I tried a cup of the Premium Dragon Well after reading this, and it was every bit as good as last year's. Maybe you got a bad batch? Teavivre's customer service is very good so it might be worth getting in touch with them.

I got some of that Huang Shan Mao Feng too, and I agree, it's the good stuff.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Glass teapots are nice because you get to watch the leaves dance and unfurl.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Anyone into Moroccan-style mint tea? I have a lot of Gunpowder sitting around, so I thought I might get some mint and try making my own.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah I can't be bothered with any of that fancy stuff, and I don't like sugar in my tea anyway. I tried brewing some Gunpowder with dried spearmint today and the result was really nice. I got some peppermint too, so it'll be interesting to compare.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Man that looks nice. I don't really need another kettle right now but if mine stops working that looks like a must buy. I don't quite have the space for a Zojirushi :(

What's everyone drinking lately? I've been on a nonstop sheng puerh binge, this habit could get costly fast :(

I've been into Teavivre's 2015 spring selections lately, including this Bai Mudan, and their Black Dragon Pearls.

I just ordered some Silver Needle as well.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I've been negelecting Teavivre lately. I just finished last year's batch of their dragonwell. How do you like their Bai mudan? It's been a while since I've had a memorable white tea.

The one I linked is good for the price, but not outstanding. They have two higher grades of Bai Mudan that I haven't tried yet.

I'll be getting a sample of their Jasmine Silver Needle, which I'm excited to try. Never had a jasmine white tea before.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah that seems really low, and there's a lot of variance in the different types of white tea, so I don't think you can say that they're all going to steep the same way.

I usually steep stuff like White Peony and Silver Needle for 2-3 minutes, and don't worry too much about exact temperatures. As long as the water's been off the boil for a couple minutes, it's fine for my taste.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Teavivre's 4th Anniversary sale is on now. I tried to restrain myself, but I think I just bought over a kilo of tea.

I highly recommend their Premium Long Jing. It's the best Dragonwell I've found for the price: http://www.teavivre.com/premium-dragon-well-green-tea/

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
That tea looks like it could be a Chun Mee, but I'm no expert.

I've tried a number of Teavivre's 2015 teas, and I think my favorite may be this one: http://www.teavivre.com/lapsang-souchong-wild-black-tea/
Unusually, it's a Lapsang that has not been smoked. The flavor is rich, sweet and complex, and kind of reminds me of molasses. One of the nicest black teas I've ever had.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Wedemeyer posted:

On that note, does anyone like David's Tea's? I just found out there's a store fairly close to me and I'm not too familiar with them. A lot quicker than waiting for shipping, and I am running out of a good oolong. Otherwise tattle tea sounds right up my alley.

David's stuff is overpriced, but they do have some decent oolongs. I remember enjoying both their Tieguanyin and Pouchong. I also really like David's Nepal black tea.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Their Premium grade Dragonwell is only 20% off as opposed to 40% for the standard grade, but the Premium is definitely worth the price. I really enjoy its roasted, nutty flavor, as opposed to the fresher, greener taste of the more expensive early-harvest Dragonwells.

Teavivre's Lu Shan Yun Wu also has that wonderful nutty flavor. I'll be restocking my supply of both tomorrow.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Ineffiable posted:

Heads up guys, if you get an order over $30 (and you should) at teavivre, you can use coupon code WITSTEA8 for another $8 off! applies to the black friday items too!

You may have to play around with it, it wouldn't let me do it until I added the samples.

Thanks for the hookup, but I couldn't get it to work. No biggie.

I haven't had this year's batch of the Ma Liu Mie oolong, but if it's anything like last year's, all of you who ordered it are in for a treat. The smell and flavor of the last batch reminded me of freshly-baked bread.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I wrote a negative review of one of Teavivre's black teas one time. It wasn't a scathing review; I just felt like the tea was slightly inferior compared to others at the same price. Nonetheless, they immediately offered me a refund, so I'm sure you'll be able to sort out any issues with payment.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Teavivre's doing a Cyber Monday sale right now for those who missed the Black Friday.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just tried brewing some Chun Mee in the Moroccan style with dried peppermint, and it worked really well. I think I might even prefer the Chun Mee to the traditional Gunpowder.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

subpar anachronism posted:

Similarly, I'd love recommendations for earl greys from Canadian retailers. Cream of and lady greys would also be fine.

I'm not a big Earl Grey fan, but I remember enjoying Murchie's: http://www.murchies.com/store/review/product/list/id/800/category/4/

They have a number of other interesting blended teas too, if that's your thing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah that's my favorite Dragonwell. I prefer the more roasty Longjings to the greener, early flush ones, which are also much more expensive.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's that time of year again...

https://www.teavivre.com/sale/anniversary-celebration.html

"Lucky is also your power"

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jhet posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with this time every year. They have a lot of wonderful tea. Even going through customs, the delivery is really pretty fast. The Premium Long Jing is really very good. Their Tie Guan Yin is pretty green, and also pretty tasty. Sale starts August 2.

Yeah the Premium Long Jing is outstanding for the price, especially when it's on sale. I like it better than a lot of early flush Long Jings that are 2-3x more expensive.

Teavivre has some really nice black teas too. Their selection of Keemun is very good, and I'm a big fan of the Wild Lapsang: http://www.teavivre.com/lapsang-souchong-wild-black-tea/

They seem to have quite a few new teas this year as well. I'll definitely be picking up some of the new batch of Da Hong Pao, as well as some of the organic greens.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh dear, I seem to have purchased 2 kilos of tea. Dang it Teavivre, why must you have so much nice stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If anyone missed out on the Teavivre anniversary sale, their oolongs are 20% off right now.