Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I need a cup of the brown stuff the shade of an acorn, so my question is what is the best sort of infuser/ball to get me this result without a tea pot? I've got a kettle I take out to work and I've got a budding interest in this stuff, the problem is my only experience has been tea bags thus far. Does anyone have any recommendations for what works best, or what they prefer, as an in-cup infuser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Thanks for the suggestion breaks, my infuser came in the mail today and I went to Teavana (ugh I know, but I leave for work tomorrow and can't wait for a shipment from Silk Road) to pick up some pearls to try it out, and wow, gently caress bagged tea forever! Is it possible to save the leaves for later, if I only want a cup or two, and they still have a few brews left in them? I'm not talking for days, maybe just a couple of hours. Would they be fine just hanging out in the infuser until I'm ready to use them again, or should I put them in an airtight container?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I have a $13 Copco kettle that whistles when it's boiling, but honestly I wish I had purchased an electric one simply because it's such a pain to get the temperature just right for when I want to enjoy a white or green. If you honestly aren't going to drink anything but black tea ever, then yes, they exist, but I'm jumping on the "get an electric kettle" bandwagon.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I just received my Lapsang and wow, this is definitely not what I was expecting. I was actually looking for a black similar to Black Dragon Pearls on Adagio (Am I right in thinking that they're more like a Yunnan?) when I was browsing through their blacks and went "Hey Lapsang Souchong, I've heard that name, let's try it!". It's good, but the Mrs. won't have it. Alas, I'll have to suffer through it alone :v:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I will admit I didn't try a second or third infusion because honestly I wasn't in the mood for it as it seems more like an evening tea to me, and I knew they'd just be hanging out going nasty all day. I'm definitely going to drink it and look forward to trying it again now that I know that. I did add a tiny bit of honey to it and that seemed to go well, almost like a cinnamon and honey taste.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Massasoit posted:

I just made my first loose leaf tea in a teapot I got that came with a ceramic infuser. I noticed that some of the tea leaves got through the holes in the infuser and ended up coming out into my cup. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Call me weird but I enjoy that last sip of tea with all the particles in it. I use a few different infusers, a metal mesh basket strainer at work and Adagio's Ingenuitea, and I have to say the Adagio infuser has very fine mesh and I hardly get any particles in my cup. I know there was someone that posted a while back saying they had problems with theirs (I think they said the lid leaked, but it has a pinprick hole on the top so it can flow out with the lid close, and some other problem I fail to recall), but I bought one for myself and the mrs and we've yet to have any sort of problems with them. I did accidentally pop the mesh part on the bottom off once, but it was easy enough to just push back in and it's worked as good as it always has.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 11, 2014

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I grew up on coma inducing sweet tea in the South and I finally managed to develop a taste for unsweetened hot tea. I'd like to move away from the bag stuff is there something inexpensive but nice you guys could recommend?

I grew up on the same sort of tea down here, and I find I enjoy Adagio's assam the most, as far as unsweetened hot teas go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Tea balls suck, and those in-cup infusers are pretty great, but I fell in love with my Adagio tea infuser the first time I used it.