Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Tomato-meter on Rotten Tomatoes is a great tool to see the general consensus of a movie. It can, at a glance, tell you whether the film you want to see is worth your time or money or if it's so bad it will cause cancer. It's a wonderful film review tool, but is it always correct? We all have some movies that, despite how awful the reviews are and what most people believe, we still enjoy. So are there movies that the Tomato-meter rated unfairly? Was it a case of an unfair dog pile? Backlash from outside influences that effected reviewers? Or is it awful, but still with it's own charm?

The idea of this thread comes from a podcast I've recently started listening to called Yeah It's That Bad, where the hosts watch films with bad Tomato-meter scores and discuss whether they deserved them or not. This thread has the same premise, every two weeks a film will be chosen, the first few I have already picked but if people in this thread have ideas for another film then we can do a vote for it, and a deadline will be given for when the film should be watched. After the deadline everyone will discuss the movie and decide whether the film deserved it's rating or not.

Link to the podcast: http://www.yeahitsthatbad.com/

Most of the movies will be available on Netflix (streaming hopefully) so I won't pick anything so obscure that it would be nearly impossible to watch.

The first film I've chosen has a 44% on the Tomato-meter and it has the wonderful claim to fame as being the single biggest bomb in box office history. I am, of course, talking about Cutthroat Island.

Cutthroat Island was released in 1995 with a budget of $98 million and finished out with only a measly $10 million. Such an incredible failure actually destroyed the studio of Carolco (though Showgirls also helped out in that department). It's even been thought that this film's massive failure is the reason for the dearth of pirate themed feature films unto 2003's Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Considering this is the very first film and I don't know how massive of a failure this thread will be the deadline for the film's reviews will be September 30th.

I'm open to ideas for films for the thread, ideas on how to make this idea better and just comments on how this thread should operate.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I actually watched it about a year ago or so because of the bad reviews. I can't remember it very well because it was honestly just a tremendously forgettable film.

I've never seen so many explosions at completely inappropriate times. Everything is exploding all over the place non-stop during some of the action scenes and it makes no sense really. It's pirates, there aren't mortar shells everywhere and not everything all over the place is just a ticking timebomb. You wouldn't know watching this movie, however.

To be fair I'm not a fan of pirate movies normally so I guess I was biased going in but I just found nothing in this film to redeem it. The action was sub par, the male lead felt like a lovely Cary Elwes and it was just all around boring.

I'm all for giving films a second chance but gently caress me this one doesn't deserve it. Not this thread, I think this thread is a great idea, but I hope to God no one comes in and says Cutthroat is a good movie because I can't wrap my head around that.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 19, 2011

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'll write up the 1994 Street Fighter movie with Raul Julia and Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Timby posted:

I'll write up the 1994 Street Fighter movie with Raul Julia and Jean-Claude Van Damme.

This made me look up the rating as well as the rating for Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. I was very surprised to see that the latter out-rated the former 19%-13%.

I'll leave the other review to you but Legend of Chun-Li is the worst movie I've seen in the last several years for sure, and possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. The action is stupid and poorly choreographed, the acting is below B-grade and it somehow lasted more than 90 minutes.

The only entertainment I got in the entire movie was when I realized that Vega was being played by one of the Black Eyed Peas.

In the name of this thread I might go rent Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever next weekend.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The idea of the thread was to have the whole group review a single movie, but I actually think the idea of each member picking their own film may work better and give us more variety. :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm one of those gross people who enjoys bad movies regardless. However, Speed Racer is an amazing movie that has a 38% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to write a review for it.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

OldTennisCourt posted:

The idea of the thread was to have the whole group review a single movie, but I actually think the idea of each member picking their own film may work better and give us more variety. :v:

Both seem interesting, the side discussion seems appropriate filler while people catch up on the OPs recommendation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's been a few years since I've seen Cutthroat Island, according to Netflix I gave it 4 stars, but that can't be right, I didn't think it was terrible, but I don't remember thinking it was great either. I'll try and revisit it for this thread, because now I want to know what I saw in it back then.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

doctor 7 posted:

I'm all for giving films a second chance but gently caress me this one doesn't deserve it. Not this thread, I think this thread is a great idea, but I hope to God no one comes in and says Cutthroat is a good movie because I can't wrap my head around that.

I remember that I saw this in the theater, and at the time thought it was good. Of course I remember absolutely nothing that happened in it other than Geena Davis and Matthew Modine at one point dramatically had to do a high dive to escape one of the explosions. It is also a known fact that I had absolutely horrible taste in drat near everything when I was a Freshman.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm one of those gross people who enjoys bad movies regardless. However, Speed Racer is an amazing movie that has a 38% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to write a review for it.

I will never understand why that movie polarizes people so. I watched it in a theater and had a boatload of goofy fun.

wonder-twin
May 30, 2007
I thought Speed Racer was a pretty good movie. It was beautiful to look at and listen too, what else is there to demand of it? Also, John Goodman's wrestling ring was the climax of the film for me.

Haggis McMutton
Jul 9, 2009

by Ozmaugh

doctor 7 posted:

I guess I'm going to be that one then. I absolutely adore Cutthroat Island. I have bought the DVD and have seen it many times.

Explosions and swordfights and Geena Davis! Battle on the high seas and searching the treasure! What's not to like? I have never understood the hatred for this movie. It's an absolute thrill-ride.

Here's the trailer. Seriously, watch it. Watch it now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzK7dz9qMI

The course has been set, there is no turning back. Prepare your weapons and summon your courage! For tonight I will watch Cutthroat Island for the xxth time. Who's with me?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Haggis McMutton posted:

Here's the trailer. Seriously, watch it. Watch it now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzK7dz9qMI

Holy poo poo doctor 7 was not kidding those explosions were absurd. That pirate ship blew up like it had tons of C4 in it and those cannon balls must have been packed with plastic explosives for them to cause the massive explosions during that chase scene.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I saw Ecks vs. Sever on TBS or FX late one night and it wasn't the worst cinematic crime ever committed. Like someone said about Cutthroat Island, it was just bland and forgettable.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
We watched Cutthroat Island on crisp, shiny Blu-ray a few months ago (don't ask). My wife's a huge fan of Geena Davis, we both like older Pirate Movies, so why not? We lowered our expectations and gave it a try.

I honestly found that it wasn't any worse or better than the recent Pirates of the Carribean franchise. Cheesy, corny, fun, ridiculous explosions and zany swashbuckling. Thanks to the added benefit that I don't *think* that they used much CGI at the time, if any at all, I rather liked it because I knew that everything was real (no green screen).

There's definitely a charm to it. I also love it when great actors ham it up when they get to be a larger than life villains and Frank Langella didn't disappoint me (I mean, he's quite adept at chewing the scenery; he was SKELETOR for criminy's sake!).

So final line: get some popcorn, a few beers sit down and get ready to laugh and cheer. It's a fun movie and I don't understand why it is so disliked. Well, I sort of do, but it is hard for me to NOT like a movie with high production values and so many practical effects.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rocket Ace posted:

We watched Cutthroat Island on crisp, shiny Blu-ray a few months ago (don't ask). My wife's a huge fan of Geena Davis, we both like older Pirate Movies, so why not? We lowered our expectations and gave it a try.

I honestly found that it wasn't any worse or better than the recent Pirates of the Carribean franchise. Cheesy, corny, fun, ridiculous explosions and zany swashbuckling. Thanks to the added benefit that I don't *think* that they used much CGI at the time, if any at all, I rather liked it because I knew that everything was real (no green screen).

There's definitely a charm to it. I also love it when great actors ham it up when they get to be a larger than life villains and Frank Langella didn't disappoint me (I mean, he's quite adept at chewing the scenery; he was SKELETOR for criminy's sake!).

So final line: get some popcorn, a few beers sit down and get ready to laugh and cheer. It's a fun movie and I don't understand why it is so disliked. Well, I sort of do, but it is hard for me to NOT like a movie with high production values and so many practical effects.

The thing that I find most fascinating about Cutthroat Island is how much of a gigantic bomb it was. Can we chalk that up to reviews? What happened to cause the film to fail in such a massive way?

Was it a case of the budget being so big that the film could never recoup it?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

The first film I've chosen has a 44% on the Tomato-meter and it has the wonderful claim to fame as being the single biggest bomb in box office history. I am, of course, talking about Cutthroat Island.

Cutthroat Island was released in 1995 with a budget of $98 million and finished out with only a measly $10 million. Such an incredible failure actually destroyed the studio of Carolco (though Showgirls also helped out in that department). It's even been thought that this film's massive failure is the reason for the dearth of pirate themed feature films unto 2003's Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Considering this is the very first film and I don't know how massive of a failure this thread will be the deadline for the film's reviews will be September 30th.

I'm open to ideas for films for the thread, ideas on how to make this idea better and just comments on how this thread should operate.

Wasn't Pluto Nash a slightly bigger bomb? According to wikipedia it cost just over $100M and made just $7M at the box office. :pwn: Also it's at 6% on RT.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

colonel_korn posted:

Wasn't Pluto Nash a slightly bigger bomb? According to wikipedia it cost just over $100M and made just $7M at the box office. :pwn: Also it's at 6% on RT.

I used Wikipedia to find the information, it looks like Pluto Nash lost more, but when you adjust for inflation Cutthroat Island is the biggest bomb of all time.

Interestingly, Mars Needs Moms is number 5 on that list, I knew it failed but good god I didn't know it failed THAT badly.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This is a very worthy thread. I find that the best film critics have to, at some point in their life, 'rehabilitate' a film. Take Zabriskie Point (1970 dir: M Antonioni). Completely bollocked by critics when it was first released. Now it's considered to be an amazing movie (which I think it is) thanks to critics rehabilitating it. This thread should do the same.

When I get the time, I plan to rehabilitate Showgirls. It's just badly misunderstood by a hopelessly conservative society.

E: Don't take this to mean I got dibs on Showgirls. If someone else wants to do it, shoot. It's just always been an ambition of mine to rehabilitate a reviled movie.

Starshark fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 19, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

I used Wikipedia to find the information, it looks like Pluto Nash lost more, but when you adjust for inflation Cutthroat Island is the biggest bomb of all time.

Interestingly, Mars Needs Moms is number 5 on that list, I knew it failed but good god I didn't know it failed THAT badly.

Oh, fair enough, I hadn't considered inflation.
Looking at that list on wikipedia, am I the only person who doesn't remember at all that a $240M movie called "Sahara" apparently came out six years ago?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Oh, fair enough, I hadn't considered inflation.
Looking at that list on wikipedia, am I the only person who doesn't remember at all that a $240M movie called "Sahara" apparently came out six years ago?

Sahara was a weird case apparantly in that it performed reasonably well, just with no hope in hell of making back what it cost.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My question about Sahara is simple: how the gently caress do you spend $240 million on that movie? It's not like Avatar where you're pouring giant piles of cash into new technology so you can make a whole goddamn movie out of special effects; Sahara was just a retarded Indiana Jones ripoff.

The amount of sheer waste in that "budget" must have been beyond all comprehension. :psyduck:

ArtieTSMITW
Mar 23, 2006

Tommy! How's the peeping?
Tommy. How the peeping...

tommmytommytommytommy
I'd love to watch Leonard Part 6. My only knowledge of this movie is from a Family Guy reference, and this amazing review from Siskel and Ebert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOf91smkXU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ArtieTSMITW posted:

I'd love to watch Leonard Part 6. My only knowledge of this movie is from a Family Guy reference, and this amazing review from Siskel and Ebert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOf91smkXU

Gene Siskel has some good comic timing in that review.

Boy, you're upset!

And you know, I AM TOO! :haw:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

sean10mm posted:

My question about Sahara is simple: how the gently caress do you spend $240 million on that movie? It's not like Avatar where you're pouring giant piles of cash into new technology so you can make a whole goddamn movie out of special effects; Sahara was just a retarded Indiana Jones ripoff.

The amount of sheer waste in that "budget" must have been beyond all comprehension. :psyduck:

According to Wikipedia, some of the money went towards bribes for the Moroccan government. I'd like to read an account of the making of that movie, though, I bet it'd be interesting. Like Heaven's Gate where money was spent on fully decking out an entire train even though only one car was used in shot.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I have to say that Cutthroat island looks like it might be a lot of fun. I always assumed it was somewhat successful because I know they made a SNES game out of it. It was an ok brawler, but had an infuriating minecart level near the beginning that I could never beat during the rental period.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Starshark posted:

According to Wikipedia, some of the money went towards bribes for the Moroccan government. I'd like to read an account of the making of that movie, though, I bet it'd be interesting. Like Heaven's Gate where money was spent on fully decking out an entire train even though only one car was used in shot.

I don't want to continue this derail too much, but wikipedia links to a fairly lengthy LA Times article about it: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-movie15apr15,0,6005119.story

quote:

ON an old studio lot outside London, a production crew began work on the movie "Sahara" in November 2003 by staging the crash of a vintage airplane.

But when the film opened in theaters in April 2005, the sequence had been deleted. "In the context of the movie, it didn't work," said director Breck Eisner.

The cost of the 46-second clip: more than $2 million.

:laffo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Starshark posted:

When I get the time, I plan to rehabilitate Showgirls. It's just badly misunderstood by a hopelessly conservative society.

I don't think it has anything to do with conservatism, it's just not a very good movie. Even if you interpret it as a satire the story and acting still sucks. The only reason to see it is Gina Gershon's performance.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you haven't already seen it, My Year of Flops is an ongoing take on the same theme and is probably my favorite thing to come out of the AV Club.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A personal favorite flop story is that during the filming of Waterworld a loving gigantic floating set was built with no bathrooms, so that whenever anyone had to take a leak, they had to get on boats, go to a nearby area with actual bathrooms, and then ride back.

Also, Costner fired the director near the end and finished the film himself. By all accounts he was a gigantic douche on set, with Joss Whedon saying that the time he spent on set were "Seven weeks in hell"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

If you haven't already seen it, My Year of Flops is an ongoing take on the same theme and is probably my favorite thing to come out of the AV Club.

I adore this column, and predict that we'll tread a lot of the same ground in this thread.

Since Superhero arcana seems to stick in my head more solidly than almost anything, I'll take it upon myself to start my contributions to this project with Ang Lee's Hulk, another flick covered in "My Year of Flops."

If I find the time and can do a truly decent write-up I might extend my scope to other bad superhero flicks, of which there are absolutely no shortage.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

OldTennisCourt posted:

A personal favorite flop story is that during the filming of Waterworld a loving gigantic floating set was built with no bathrooms, so that whenever anyone had to take a leak, they had to get on boats, go to a nearby area with actual bathrooms, and then ride back.

Also, Costner fired the director near the end and finished the film himself. By all accounts he was a gigantic douche on set, with Joss Whedon saying that the time he spent on set were "Seven weeks in hell"

Pissing off the side wasn't allowed? Was the set in an actual natural body of water?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BobKnob posted:

Pissing off the side wasn't allowed? Was the set in an actual natural body of water?

Here's a good summary of the issues that says it much better than I can.

cracked.com posted:

Universal paid $22 million for a quarter-mile long set called "The Atoll," representing the floating junkpile that our piss-drinking, gilled Costner-Mutant finds himself on. Kevin convinced Universal that for the utmost verisimilitude, they had to film on the ocean. But instead of then just filming on the ocean, they built a massive tank...in the ocean, just off the coast of Hawaii.
And then they built a giant set that depleted all the available steel in Hawaii. It weighed 1000-tons, cost $22 million and contained approximately no bathrooms. The crew didn't like the idea of swimming and filming in their own filth, so costs rose as crewmembers had to be ferried back and forth to the island just to use the collection of port-a-potties outside their living quarters, which were old, uninsulated condominiums. By contrast, Costner slept in a villa, complete with a butler, a chef and private swimming pool while collecting a $14 million salary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

Since Superhero arcana seems to stick in my head more solidly than almost anything, I'll take it upon myself to start my contributions to this project with Ang Lee's Hulk, another flick covered in "My Year of Flops."

Weird that they covered this, since it didn't flop financially or criticially.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

colonel_korn posted:

I spent six years trying to forget that, you bastard.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Every time I remember that the first time we meet our swashbuckling hero he's drinking his own piss I laugh a little bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

colonel_korn posted:

I don't want to continue this derail too much, but wikipedia links to a fairly lengthy LA Times article about it: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-movie15apr15,0,6005119.story

:laffo:

Honestly, this is not a bad thing. It doesn't matter how hard it was to get a shot or how much it cost, if a scene ends up not working in the final cut you junk it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was kicking around the idea for a thread like this at the start of the year but never found time, I'll happily join in this one.

I really want us to do Howard the Duck at some point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly, this is not a bad thing. It doesn't matter how hard it was to get a shot or how much it cost, if a scene ends up not working in the final cut you junk it.

A major part of directing is getting the most out of your budget and having some foresight. A $2 million scene is a major setpiece that costs a lot of time and money. Not including it because "in context it didn't work" means that you made a major mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A major part of directing is getting the most out of your budget and having some foresight. A $2 million scene is a major setpiece that costs a lot of time and money. Not including it because "in context it didn't work" means that you made a major mistake.

Well, I've got a thread above where a $5 million dollar sequence got cut completely, so it makes sense to me that sometimes, something looks great on paper but plays terribly. It doesn't necessarily make you a bad producer/director, it's just that you can't forsee everything.

• Locked thread