Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I know that murder mysteries of this sort are supposed to make it plausible that anyone could be the killer and thus introduce some darkness into all the characters, but everything I've read about The Loft makes it seem like they pushed way too far in that direction and I'd probably be okay with it if, at the end, some corrupt cops showed up and arrested all five of them for it and coerced confessions out of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was warned against it, but I didn't listen...

I watched Da Hip Hop Witch from 2000. A whopping 1.7/10 on IMDB and a 21% on RT. I'll say something really positive about it: The closing credits are very good. That's not even a joke, they do something sort of cool with them.

But as for the film, itself, it's so hard to even criticize since there's not really a coherent story. I can't even say for certain if there was an actual script or not. So much of the film seems to revolve around a 4 different plots of a seemingly scripted story of a young woman working for a media company of some kind who is investigating DHHW,, another seemingly scripted story of 5 WHITE KIDS AND A PUG (you will hear this all through the last 30 minutes of the movie), some sort of internal rap mogul power struggle and then about 50 different musical performers of various degrees of popularity just doing some of the worst acting and dialogue that I can't help but think it was all done on the fly and improvised.

The last 5 minutes of the film seem to literally try to take it from being a bad Blair Witch-inspired film and go full out into just becoming a self-parody, referencing in just a few moments Scream, Sixth Sense and Blair Witch in quick succession.

Despite the reports that Eminem apparently tried to get his part removed from the film, I hate to say it, he's maybe the best performer out of anyone and his recounts of the Witch make up maybe the largest role in the film. The story he tells feels a lot more prepared and paced than most of the other performers, despite really just being about him spending 10 minutes to describe how a witch put her fingers in his rear end and molested him while he was drugged.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was warned against it, but I didn't listen...

I watched Da Hip Hop Witch from 2000. A whopping 1.7/10 on IMDB and a 21% on RT. I'll say something really positive about it: The closing credits are very good. That's not even a joke, they do something sort of cool with them.

But as for the film, itself, it's so hard to even criticize since there's not really a coherent story. I can't even say for certain if there was an actual script or not. So much of the film seems to revolve around a 4 different plots of a seemingly scripted story of a young woman working for a media company of some kind who is investigating DHHW,, another seemingly scripted story of 5 WHITE KIDS AND A PUG (you will hear this all through the last 30 minutes of the movie), some sort of internal rap mogul power struggle and then about 50 different musical performers of various degrees of popularity just doing some of the worst acting and dialogue that I can't help but think it was all done on the fly and improvised.

The last 5 minutes of the film seem to literally try to take it from being a bad Blair Witch-inspired film and go full out into just becoming a self-parody, referencing in just a few moments Scream, Sixth Sense and Blair Witch in quick succession.

Despite the reports that Eminem apparently tried to get his part removed from the film, I hate to say it, he's maybe the best performer out of anyone and his recounts of the Witch make up maybe the largest role in the film. The story he tells feels a lot more prepared and paced than most of the other performers, despite really just being about him spending 10 minutes to describe how a witch put her fingers in his rear end and molested him while he was drugged.

I hadn't ever heard of this movie, but goddamn if that last paragraph hasn't pushed it the top of my to-watch list.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I hadn't ever heard of this movie, but goddamn if that last paragraph hasn't pushed it the top of my to-watch list.

One thing about this is that they break it up into like a half-dozen different scenes throughout the movie, so it's not one long consistent scene. There are a lot of supercuts of these clips on youtube, though.

Most of the other musicians are just featured for a about a single 10-30 second shot-on-video thing where they talk to a camera in a dimly lit location or out in the street, a few get revisited now and then. There are a few odd cameos in the movie, too, as Vitamin C shows up in blurry footage early on to talk about how she was assaulted, too. Vanilla Ice similarly has a few appearances. But they're almost all the same thing, where probably 80% of the film dialogue is people shouting at a camera about the witch and everyone just trying to inconsistently describe some monster.

Oh, and apparently, the witch turns out to be Vanilla Ice AKA Rob Van Winkle , I guess.

It's horrible, though. I'm almost quoting verbatim what another poster said, but it's not even good in a 'it's so bad it's good' way

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Glamorama26 posted:

I misread this initially and thought it said The Lift. The prospect of a high budget remake of a Dutch killer elevator movie peaked my interest.

You know the director of "The Lift" did make a US remake of it a few years back, right?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Davros1 posted:

You know the director of "The Lift" did make a US remake of it a few years back, right?

Considering the quality of that remake, he was probably better off not knowing... Besides, the original will always have the best tagline: "Take the stairs! Take the stairs! For God's sake, take the stairs!" Like, yeah, that's probably a good way to avoid a killer elevator.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I think one of my favourite kinds of bad movies are the kinds that think they are much smarter than they are. The Genius Club is incredibly comical because it involves a not very smart man thinking he can solve all the worlds problems, creating characters who are "the smartest people in the world" and having them all agree with him. On top of that, Stephen Baldwin plays a skateboarding pizza guy who is the smartest man in the world. It's self-indulgent, terribly acted and hilarious.

On the other hand, there are movies like The Philosophers. It is kind of like the Genius Club in that it involves a not very bright writer thinking writing about how smart they are via genius mouthpieces, however unlike the Genius Club it is actually pretty infuriating. The Genius Club is so dumb that all you can do is laugh at it, but The Philosophers has some decent acting, looks fantastic and has passable dialogue. It's just that, every point every character makes is dumb and simple but is treated as logically perfect. Example; a unch of philosophy students in part of a thought experiment are given jobs and they have to decide who would be the most useful 10 people to have with them in a bunker in a nuclear apocalypse. At one point, one of the characters says that having an astronaut is useless because they aren't going into space, ignoring the fact that to be an astronaut you have to have a plethora of useful skills besides "existing in space". One student is given the job of ice cream maker, with no other useful skills, so the teacher is essentially just saying "no, student 10, you are explicitly not allowed to pass this text" (oh yeah, he grades each student on how they perform even though he gives some of them impossible roles). Whereas Genius Club is goofy and enjoyable, the Philosophers is a movie that my friends and I found ourselves really hating, but being unable to look away.

Another movie that kinds fits the bill is "God's Not Dead", which quickly flits between making dumb philosophical arguments and being funny to being outright offensive to minorities and feeling uncomfortably superior. Anyone got any other suggestions for movies that kinda fit the bill here?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

I think one of my favourite kinds of bad movies are the kinds that think they are much smarter than they are.

These are perhaps the worst movies of all. Bunraku and Now You See Me come to mind.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Now You See Me was light and stupid, but wasn't bad. Showgirls is aggressively bad. I will spot you Bunraku as pretty terrible though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

These are perhaps the worst movies of all. Bunraku and Now You See Me come to mind.

Funny Games is one of the few movies I can genuinely say that I hated every minute of, for this exact reason.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

exquisite tea posted:

Funny Games is one of the few movies I can genuinely say that I hated every minute of, for this exact reason.

Eh, whatever else you can say about it Funny Games achieved exactly what it wanted. Now, wanted to make you sad and annoyed may not be the most noble goal, but still.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Funny Games loving ruled. The whole thing is a blatant "gently caress you" to the viewer and that's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

XIII posted:

Funny Games loving ruled. The whole thing is a blatant "gently caress you" to the viewer and that's beautiful.

..lmao

• Locked thread