Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«71 »
Schneider Heim
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah, we're pretty much the biggest brandy market in the world. I'm just curious if it's A Thing elsewhere. I'll have to finish this bottle first before I can justify another one, though.

Fundador is like $10 and tastes great. My friend who likes brandies more than I do prefers it to Cognacs and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Had a crazy good domestic white wine tonight for dinner: Walter Scott X Novo ‘16 Chardonnay. Tastes and has a nose like a 1er white burgundy; if I had it blind, I’d totally put it down as a Roulot, given how great the overall experience is.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

From our mutual friend? I quite liked it when he poured it blind at that dinner, although I admit my first thought wasn't Burgundy but rather Rhone because of the fatness / lower acid. Then again I'm a terrible blind taster

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

got off on a technicality posted:

From our mutual friend? I quite liked it when he poured it blind at that dinner, although I admit my first thought wasn't Burgundy but rather Rhone because of the fatness / lower acid. Then again I'm a terrible blind taster

Yep, usually has good recs especially for the domestic ones. I've been trying to get it wholesale but the retail price of $60~ is pretty decent.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A new acquaintance:

https://www.chateaudebellet.com/en/vins.php

Château de Bellet, cuvée Baron G. It was the Bellet AOC that caught my eye on the shelf, had never heard about if before. Turns out it's in Provence. This is 5% Chardonnay and 95% Rolle, a new grape for me. Reminds me of warm vintage Chablis, with a bit of oak, tropical fruit, but real acidic structure and some saline, marine mystery. Quite complex as well, I've got nutmeg, pineapple, almonds, bit of barnyard on opening, lots of stuff going on. Funny bottle shape as well. Expensive for Provence at over $40, but worth it IMO.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Rolle is vermentino. It's normally very neutral and fairly flabby, cool that you managed to find an example that's neither.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

Rolle is vermentino. It's normally very neutral and fairly flabby, cool that you managed to find an example that's neither.

It's definitely fat, pleasingly so, I was quite convinced it was viognier until I googled it. Perhaps the 5% Chardonnay is sorely needed acidity.

By the way, vermentino triggers my linguistics nerd receptors, it has to be from some greek/latin thing that means "something that ferments".

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

"I don't care!"

Haha, I was trying to remember why rolle was so familiar. Corsican Vermentino is the poo poo, btw. Antoine Arena is like the wine godfather of Corsica and his Vermentino plus his Corsican reds are great. I think Kermit Lynch imports it, so it shouldn’t be that hard to find.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

I had a bottle of vigne vecchie mascalese volcano juice last week and I highly recommend it as a place sort of near corscica I guess

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p

College Slice

Any recommendations on wineries to check out near Santa Rosa? We're going to be staying there next week and my wife wants to do a tour or two. We like weird/funky stuff but I think she would also like to see a big fancy winery.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Any recommendations for a good entry point to Sauternes QPR wise? I'm getting offers for 2015 375ml Yquem but I could get a magnum of Prum Auslese GK for the same price. Obviously Yquem has brand price inflation, just wondering if there is a better option for someone who is just at the curious stage.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Any recommendations for a good entry point to Sauternes QPR wise? I'm getting offers for 2015 375ml Yquem but I could get a magnum of Prum Auslese GK for the same price. Obviously Yquem has brand price inflation, just wondering if there is a better option for someone who is just at the curious stage.

Castelnau de Suduirat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

De Fargues, owned by the Lur Saluces family, which used to own Yquem before they sold to LVMH

Also consider older Rieussec, which can be quite affordable. I suggest 1983, 1986, 1988

«71 »