Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My silver lining is I'm going to take the cue to dial back my wine purchasing and consumption in the interests of health (physical and financial lol)

Last batch of holiday wines: mini horizontal of 2014 Latour Giraud Meursault Genevrieres Cuvee Pierre and Meursault Charmes with dim sum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

quote:

The first order for Madeira in George Washington's correspondence dates to the spring of 1759, when he asked his London agent, Robert Cary & Company to "Order from the best House in Madeira a Pipe of the best old Wine, and let it be Securd from Pilferers." A pipe held approximately 126 gallons of wine. About a year later, Washington transported a pipe of wine to Mount Vernon from Alexandria, "wch. Captn. McKee brought from Madeira," along with "a chest of Lemons and some other trifles."

Three years later, in the spring of 1763, Washington notified Cary & Company that he would be writing directly to the island firm of John and James Searles for a pipe of Madeira wine, and that they, in turn, would be contacting Cary for payment. In his letter to the Searles, Washington specifically asked for "a rich oily Wine," and asked that, "if the present vintage shoud not be good, to have it of the last, or in short of any other which you can recommend."

Washington's orders for madeira continued throughout his lifetime. He purchased a second pipe from John Searles in 1764, even though he admitted that he still had not yet tapped into the first one. Two years later, Washington switched suppliers and requested similar or larger quantities from the firm of Scott, Pringle, Cheape & Company. By 1768, Washington had not gotten around to drinking the 1766 order, but still asked that an additional 150 gallons be sent.

Significant amounts of madeira continued to be purchased for the Washington household both after the war and during the presidency. Two pipes of Madeira were received for the presidential household in Philadelphia in August of 1793 and paid for in January of the following year. Another two pipes of the same wine arrived in May of 1794 and an equal amount again in July and November of the same year.

When Washington made a trip to tour western lands in the fall of 1784, he carried along in his "equipage Trunk and the Canteens" three types of alcoholic beverages, two of which were Portuguese wines-madeira and port. During the last year of Washington's life, an English visitor at Mount Vernon recorded that both port and madeira were served during the fruit and nut course at dinner. A Polish nobleman noted that when there were houseguests at Mount Vernon, Washington "loves to chat after dinner with a glass of Madeira in his hand." Washington's step-granddaughter Nelly later recalled that, "After dinner" Washington "drank 3 glasses of madeira."

Is Madeira a good wine?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yes, but since you've apparently never had it it's pretty different from the wine you've had before. It's more like sherry. Intentionally oxidized and held at a warmer temperature during production, it has a nutty, raisiny flavor.

George Washington probably enjoyed it because it's both delicious and easy to store. Due to its manner of production, madeira's flavor remains relatively unchanged for a long time after being opened or otherwise exposed to oxygen -- and now I look up what a pipe of wine is and see that it's a single enormous barrel. So yeah, if you're gonna buy a 126-gallon barrel of one kind of wine and drink it slowly over the course of a year -- or not even touch it for two years like GW did -- that's probably the one I'd go for.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Madeira is the only sweet fortified wine that's good, de Bartoli excepted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's, uh, quite the redtext you have there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Well, that's certainly a unique way to decant a 1945 Rothschild.

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 11, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty clean label, all things considered. You could maybe put it in a shadow box or something!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Last minute, but if you're in the US take a second to comment on the 100% EU wine tariffs: https://beta.regulations.gov/document/USTR-2019-0003-2518

It's not easy to see, but they're going to screw over a ton of US businesses and citizens when distributors and importers get hosed with tariffs, when wine shops, restaurants, and consumers get hosed with doubled prices, and when domestic producers all get hosed because all those distributors, importers, and wine shops go out of business and they don't have places to carry or sell their wines.

These tariffs are going to hurt a shitload of friends and acquaintances pretty bad, 99% of whom are involved in small, local businesses. It isn't cutting your nose off to spite your face, it's cutting your face off to spite your face. Anyways, brave new lovely world I guess.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
We have a 29% tariff in Australia which is magnified by our lovely currency - it has the effect of eliminating a lot of interesting European (and American) wine that wouldn’t find an easy market in Australia. I can’t imagine the effect of a 100% tariff - you will probably still be able to get a bottle of Krug but it will eliminate a huge amount of smaller interesting stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is a good wine for watching TV?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yann Bertrand Juliénas Pur Ju...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks again for the suggestions in the previous page, friends. This bottle of Dolcetto d'Alba was crazy aromatic and was really good for the price.

What producers of Dolcetto d'Alba and Nero d'Avola are commonly available in the US? I'm flying to Guam next month and while it's not the US mainland, I'm hopeful that stuff that's available in the continental States is there as well.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So my lady and I are trying to get into red wines(potentional health benefits + goes with a Mediterranean diet) More so me as I'm not a red wine fan typically and this is what we picked up after googling around. Curious how I did and what are some other options to look for:

Porta 2018 Carmenere from Chile
Las Martas San Gregoria 2017 Garnacha
"K" Clarevale 2016 Shiraz
mad Duck 2017 Zinfandel
Chop Monastrell Cabernet Sauvignon

I've struggled with reds in the past due to the puckering effect of a heavy tannins. At least I think that's what causes that drying effect.
We have one of the tops you put on a bottle to help aerate them

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
If it's tannins you hate then you'll probably like the Grenache the most out of those. Try Pinot Noirs as well for softer tannins. Zins can be pretty soft too, but can depend on how much Petit Sirah or Alicante they blend in. I bet you won't like the others.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Drinking Ganevat La Croix des Batailles, a sans soufre gamay bottled as vin de france. It's got big Fleurie energy. Candied raspberry, cherry liqueur, violets and a touch of mint and black pepper. There's good funk, a fleeting hint of VA lends a cooling bite to the acid profile. It does not have the balance and restraint of a Julie Balagny, this is more like a Justin Dutraive wine, but there's thankfully none of the mouse I get in his wines. Nevertheless, the natty wine magic that this presents right now has me worried this will be basically undrinkable tomorrow. I'm not going to find out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My sibling is having a birthday and for a variety of reasons I'd like to get them something to cheer them up and that would be a nice present. They love champagne, and would definitely appreciate a good bottle. Are there any recommendations out there? Guidance I received as "Drier the better, though I also love quality rosés like the Salmon Billecart". I'm not sure what price points look like but overall I'd be happy to spend a few hundred here.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Are they into natural-ish wine? Grower/Organic/Biodynamic is having a moment. Stuff from people like Charles Dufour and Cedric Bouchard. Generally very low/zero dosage. Fleury is a budget option.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 10, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Oh those do look good, I know when they were in France they loved a lot of the small biodynamic places that were only putting out a limited amount of cases, but obviously that's hard to find in the states when I'm on the opposite coast and can't browse.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Some of my favorite producers who make a very dry style, starting with the most expensive:

Salon
Jacques Selosse
Bereche
Dhondt-Grellet
Ruppert-Leroy

I could list a lot more but those are some that should be fairly easy to find online for delivery. Maybe not for your present, but for a cheaper option for your sibling or anyone else who wants some quarantine bubbles, try Brick and Mortar's Brut Sparkling wines. They are super dry, and IMO the best sparkling wines out of CA. This is coming from someone obsessed with Champagne, I've been over there visiting producers 4 times in 3 years.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

Some of my favorite producers who make a very dry style, starting with the most expensive:

Salon
Jacques Selosse
Bereche
Dhondt-Grellet
Ruppert-Leroy

I could list a lot more but those are some that should be fairly easy to find online for delivery. Maybe not for your present, but for a cheaper option for your sibling or anyone else who wants some quarantine bubbles, try Brick and Mortar's Brut Sparkling wines. They are super dry, and IMO the best sparkling wines out of CA. This is coming from someone obsessed with Champagne, I've been over there visiting producers 4 times in 3 years.

Love all of these recommendations; based on the information provided, I'd also put on the list Jerome Prevost Fac-Similie since it meets the combination of good rose + dry + grower.

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

I’m also going to throw Laherte Frères Les Beaudiers and Marguet Shaman as some good rose choices.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of Selosse though, it’s a strong recommendation. Trying cuvée substance for the first time was a holy poo poo moment for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
A wine store I order from here is selling off some stuff they don't sell on the site. I was gonna get the bottles of Baudry, but aside from that do any of you see anything on here I should definitely grab?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb6pg9z9934i1hl/Secret%20cellar%20wine%20list.xlsx?dl=0

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks all, I was able to find and secure shipping of a Pol Roger Churchill brut so I went with that, but will absolutely keep some of those up my sleeve for later.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Stringent posted:

A wine store I order from here is selling off some stuff they don't sell on the site. I was gonna get the bottles of Baudry, but aside from that do any of you see anything on here I should definitely grab?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb6pg9z9934i1hl/Secret%20cellar%20wine%20list.xlsx?dl=0

Lots of fun stuff - but in terms of value/rarity (assuming I'm nailing this yen to usd bit) I'd go for the 2007 Valette Clos Reyssie and the 1989 Montille Champans. The Desjourney L'interdit I remember tasting a few years ago - declassified fleurie that is... relatively intense and full bodied. That could be fun and it's a good price imo.

If you're into aged white burgundy there's a lot of good choices, especially with all that dauvissat (really hard to find with age outside of restaurants in NY, at least.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Carillon posted:

Thanks all, I was able to find and secure shipping of a Pol Roger Churchill brut so I went with that, but will absolutely keep some of those up my sleeve for later.

You really can't go wrong with that.

Still: buy everything by Cedric Bouchard you can find and drink it yourself, IMHO.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'd drink the Desjourney Fleurie, but probably not at that price, and 2009 might be pushing it for some people (I generally consider 5 years the sweet spot for Bojo, but I've heard people say it should only be drunk young).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Skooms posted:

Lots of fun stuff - but in terms of value/rarity (assuming I'm nailing this yen to usd bit) I'd go for the 2007 Valette Clos Reyssie and the 1989 Montille Champans. The Desjourney L'interdit I remember tasting a few years ago - declassified fleurie that is... relatively intense and full bodied. That could be fun and it's a good price imo.

If you're into aged white burgundy there's a lot of good choices, especially with all that dauvissat (really hard to find with age outside of restaurants in NY, at least.)

Thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a goon consensus on which wine subscription service is the best? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I had long thought of trying out one of these services even before quarantine, but the ease of just running out to the wine store and picking out 5 or so bottles always won out in the end. But now it seems easier and safer to give one of them a shot.

I’ve looked at a few, and seen good reviews for TastingRoom and FirstLeaf. Anyone have any recommendations, or alternatively, horror stories about services to avoid?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 22, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a goon consensus on which wine subscription service is the best? Or are they all pretty much the same?
Please don't they are garbage. If you tell us your tastes and budget we can certainly put together a selection to outdo any such service

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I guess they're good for when you're starting out and have no idea yet what you like, so you get an assortment. But if you already have an idea of what you like, (like specific varieties/winemakers/regions), then thread suggestions seem more reliable.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know what I like already, the point of looking into them was

A) I don’t exactly feel comfortable running out to the liquor store right now for something non-essential

and

B) I figured if I was going to be ordering wine online, a subscription service could be a fun way to get out of my comfort zone and try stuff I wouldn’t necessarily buy at the store.

However, after I posted I did a lot of research and found that the general consensus is that most of them are crap, and the few that aren’t crap are more expensive than I’d like to spend.

I also discovered Drizly, which I didn’t know existed before, and totally solves my issue.

The only service that continues to interest me is Naked Wines, and that’s because I like the “supporting independent winemakers” aspect of it. However, I can’t tell if that’s a real thing, or just some PR/marketing bullshit that they say to make you feel better about spending money on crap wine.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2020

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
I consult for https://palateclub.com and I'm still not sure I'd recommend it. It's kind of interesting in that it attempts to learn your palate, and it matches your feedback against internal metrics myself and another advanced sommelier have done for the wines. The algorithm is seemingly more advanced than any other app has attempted, but that being said, it's a big attempt to replace having another knowledgeable human recommending you wines. Maybe in a few months I'll recommend it more emphatically, when more of the wines in their inventory are selected by me, haha.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I don't use naked wines myself but have tried a bunch of their wines and most of them have been decent enough. I don't buy into their marketing at all though.

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
You might look into if any local wine stores you like have wine clubs as a nice alternative. For example, K&L in Los Angeles/the bay has a few themed clubs. I'm not in enough of them to make it worth a delivery just of the club bottles but they let me hold them in will call and then add to another order to make the local delivery fee worth it.

Being a member of the club also gets me discounts on past wine club offerings.

I don't know how common these are - another example is E&R in Portland, which has a few interesting clubs at different price tiers.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Wonderful quote from the obit for Paul Osicka who made great Shiraz in Heathcote:

“As per his wishes, Paul’s remains were fired over the vineyard with a black powder cannon. He will always be connected to the vineyard in numerous ways.”

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was lucky enough to try a few glasses of Opus One (14' and 16' vintages) and I liked them a lot. The 14' was very herbaceous like a chianti and very fine tannins. The 16' was more fruit forward and bright, but with a dark coca finish, silky smooth.

Are there other California wines in the same caliber, but doesn't cost $350 a bottle? More looking towards the $100-$150 range.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Try the Aperture Cabernets. I'm not really a huge Cab fan in general, but for bigger reds I think his are super tasty. Plus the winemaker Jesse is the nicest dude. If you appreciated the herbal side of the 2014 you may also enjoy Corison. Cathy is a legend in Napa, her wines lean heavily toward the elegant, herbal, savory side of Cab. I think they're god drat incredible, but they will clock in a little lighter than Opus on average.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Had a weird cork experience last night with a Rioja reserva 2015. It smelled corked on open, but was fine in the glass. I thought maybe some gunk had gotten inside the foil and was causing a moldy smell. Later on I figured the cork had cork taint on top, but not at the end touching the wine. The wine was ok, not great. Should really be 5-10 years older to be fair. It was perhaps a bit off, the last glass in particular, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. The cork is the same the day after, no or very little cork smell on the wine end, strong taint at the top. Anyone experience the same?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

obi_ant posted:

I was lucky enough to try a few glasses of Opus One (14' and 16' vintages) and I liked them a lot. The 14' was very herbaceous like a chianti and very fine tannins. The 16' was more fruit forward and bright, but with a dark coca finish, silky smooth.

Are there other California wines in the same caliber, but doesn't cost $350 a bottle? More looking towards the $100-$150 range.
My personal go-to is Dominus but it is a bit above your price range at ~$200 for older vintages. Would steer you towards 2005, 2006, 2010, which are underrated

Another possibility is Ridge Monte Bello, which is readily available and closer to your price range. It does need age to show well, so you should go after bottles that are minimum 10-12 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

You can also find diamond creek with age for a little less... or buy a magnum for the same price as an opus one.

At this point during lockdown I’ve drank through most of my cheap stash (my wine storage place is non essential lol) and now I’m busting out the mid tier stuff. Had a very pretty vouvray by Pinon last night

https://www.cellartracker.com/w?3110799

I think you can still find it for $30 in some markets